Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • A short, pithy, pot-motorway commute rant.
  • samuri
    Free Member

Oh, and obviously this needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt but there must be some truth to it. I expect they’ve asked people what the cause of their accident was a a lot said it was someone else’s fog lights.

http://www.swiftcover.com/about/press/fog-lights/

Nevertheless, in heavy traffic, when it’s dark and wet and everyone is tired, some unexpected rear fog lights on will trigger a heavy braking response which can telescope beyond control.

I’ve seen it a number of times and if you’ve not then you’re not paying enough attention on the roads.

cheers_drive

OK masking may not be the correct word. If you’re look directly at the car in front then it’s fairly obvious. But because when driving you are generally also looking in the mirror, at signs, junctions, etc as well as the car in front, when a brake light goes on it catches you attention even if your not looking directly at it because of it’s brightness compared to the rear lights. A fog light has the same or similar brightness so the brakes lights are less likely to catch your attention.

logical
    Free Member

Nissan Juke

Should have stopped there. Ugly cars. The people who drive them may need all the lights on so they can see through all the sh1t in their eyes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joat

And what’s with new cars that have their fog lights come on when turning corners. Distracting and pointless!!

Edukator
    Free Member

There are now at least two drivers ranting that even when they put the rear fogs on the fool behind them didn’t get the message and continued to drive far too close for the wet road conditions. If you’re bothered by rear fogs you’re too close to the vehicle in front.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I put the front fogs on if one of my headlights has gone and I haven’t a spare or means to change it.

I expect I’ll end up in the seventh circle of hell.

nealglover
    Free Member

And it’s actually illegal but lets ignore that.

I covered the fact that its wrong to use them in the first line of my post.

My point being, it shouldn’t actually cause anyone any actual problems if the windows are cleaned properly, glass protection is used, and the wiper blades are working properly.
    (And as said above, you aren’t driving too close to the car in front.)

But people are more annoyed by the fact that someone else is Wrong.

sbob
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – Member

I put the front fogs on if one of my headlights has gone and I haven’t a spare or means to change it.

Why bother with the fogs? You’ll still have a sidelight.
    Why not carry a spare? They don’t take up much room.
    How many times has this happened to warrant mentioning it on a forum? Maybe you should get your electrics sorted, or buy a car that isn’t French. 😆

rogg
    Free Member

when they put the rear fogs on the fool behind them didn’t get the message and continued to drive far too close for the wet road conditions.

Fog lights aren’t there to give messages, they’re there to make sure you’re seen. If visibility is 50m, we’re doing 30mph and I’m a nice safe 30m behind you, you don’t need fog lights on and I’m not driving too close.

samuri
    Free Member

I think it clearly does cause people issues. People are wrong all the time on the road because the vast majority of people appear to be completely shit drivers but those instances don’t seem to elicit the same sort of response as fog lights does.

Don’t forget, a lot of people driving about have really appalling and uncorrected eyesight, not to mention having poor low light vision. Foglights used incorrectly can only cause these people more issues.

i think what we’re dealing with here is a breakdown of society at it’s very basic roots. We’ve peaked. It starts with fog lights, before you know it people will be beating each other to death with sticks.

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t forget, a lot of people driving about have really appalling and uncorrected eyesight, not to mention having poor low light vision. Foglights used incorrectly can only cause these people more issues.

Those people need to sort out their own problems then

or stop driving ?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Why bother with the fogs? You’ll still have a sidelight.
    Why not carry a spare? They don’t take up much room.
    How many times has this happened to warrant mentioning it on a forum?
    Maybe you should get your electrics sorted, or buy a car that isn’t French.

fail on all points for reasons I cant be arsed to explain

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘A short, pithy, pot-motorway commute rant.’ is closed to new replies.