Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • A shallow Q about China & what to do if you don't want to support their industry
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

So, just what can you buy?
    I know the UK is virtually devoid of industry, but really it’s getting a bit silly now, are we doomed?
    Will China really be the world force within the next decade?

Your thoughts?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Thoughts? Do some reading before making statements like “I know the UK is virtually devoid of industry”.

Jamie
    Free Member

I know the UK is virtually devoid of industry

Someone should really tell Arm this.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

UK has a surprising amount of manufacturing

it’s just that we used to have a lot more….

China is having an accelerated industrial revolution, they are realising that you can’t just chuck the waste into the environment and consequently their costs are going to go up

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Ouch, maybe I should have said relatively…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve tried. It’s hard.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I know China can’t build the high performing engines we build….

We’ll outrun them everytime…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I meant to say, it’s relatively hard.

Kit
    Free Member

China have the money and means (read: cheap, placid labour) to throw at solving many energy and environmental problems, but unfortunately have yet to develop a strong will. I’m considering a job out there, given that the UK support for my future line of work is a shambles.

epicyclo

2unfit2ride makes a good point though.

Let’s build a bike with UK made components (not designed, made)

I’ll start

Hope can give us hubs, BB, headset, brakes.

So we need:

Frame
    Fork
    Spokes
    Rims
    Crankset
    Chain
    Rear cogs/cassette (it can be a single speed)
    Stem
    Handlebars
    Seatpost
    Saddle
    etc etc

(I can think of a few of those, but won’t spoil it by grabbing too much)

druidh
    Free Member

The forum search function is working again…..

epicyclo

druidh – Member
    The forum search function is working again…..

Feel free to use it then.

rockhopper70

Frame from Orange.

Rio

Cassette – Hope again http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/eurobike-2010-hopes-new-cassette-with-integrated-freehub-27582
    Saddle – Brooks
    Frame – lots of UK niche frame makers still out there.
    Fork – as above if you’re willing to go without suspension.

I get stuck after that.

DickBarton

Hope do seatposts now…and stems and qr devices. Middleburn do chainsets. Renthal or Use for bars.

epicyclo

Got a cassette, so we’ll need a derailleur 🙂

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Still got the foot flat to the floor and no Chinese in sight….

toys19
    Free Member

Misguided approach sorry.
    We should buy more chinese products, then their economy will grow faster and their costs (wages, energy, materials etc) will go up, making UK based manufacturing more competitive.

spooky_b329

It would have to be one of the boxy Oranges, their diamond frames are built overseas aren’t they?

mrcamel
    Free Member

Good point toys19…. I think that at some point soon (ish….) the price of oil will stop it from being economical to ship so much from the far east generally and have the same effect.

Hairychested
    Free Member

UK bikes are easy, try clothing, toys for kids, toys for men, handbags for women, sushi for Saturday evening.
    UK isn’t doing too badly, it’s just we all got used to having it better and cheaper. Get TJ as a PM, he’ll sort you lot out.

toys19
    Free Member

It’s already happening. Lots of my clients are finding uk suppliers competitive over far east.. engineering stuff though, anything labour intensive (like clothes) is still impossible to compete in the uk.

BoardinBob

Honestly, I don’t think so. They’re chucking money at development but culturally they’re 100 years behind the west and until that changes, they’ll also be behind the west.

duckman

Why develop what you can steal? They bought a couple of Siemens and Toshiba bullet trains to “test” and built their own.Not having any need to pay development helps.They also have protectionist policies that make it nearly impossible to sell in their market.My little brother sells huge gas turbines for a uk based company,they have a new cleaner,more efficent product he is touting just now.18 months after theirs was launched the Chinese are building their own.Historically the Chinese people have always been at the beck and call of their leadership so I am unsure how any perceived cultural failing will impact their growth.Allied to a fairly “robust” attempt to dominate the South China Sea(200 mile territorial waters)and their human rights record means how far their ambitions lie worries me.

BermBandit
    Free Member

LOL That might have been relevant when Nixon went there in 1972, but you are now at least 20 years out of date. China has been a world force for at least 20 years if not longer, and is currently arguably THE world force. Economically they are dictating the terms not us or the Americans. They actually have more US dollars in hard currency than the Americans do. Anytime they feel like telling us to poke it they can, and will do.

I know thats not likely to be a popular view, however, it doesn’t stop it being true.

wwaswas

Are these UK sourced components allowed to be made on machines from China or using raw materials mined or refined there?

dazzlingboy

I suspect BermBandit may have a good point.

ruminant
    Free Member

Frame

Empire AP-1

ianv
    Free Member

“Someone should really tell Arm this”

To be fair, are does not manufacture anything. It just designs and licenses it designs for others to manufacture.

China has by far the largest foreign reserves of any country
    Has the fastest GDP growth of any important economy
    Has the fastest industrial production growth of any important economy
    Is the worlds largest exporter
    Is the second largest country by GDP
    Is not afraid to throw its weight around to get what it wants

So I think it is fair to say that it is a pretty significant world force if not the world force already.

smoothchicken

Had a go last year with the UK bike build, based it on a Pace frame with Hope, Middleburn, USE, Charge components, struggled with drivetrain bits and bobs and rims and anything actually being made in UK as most are only designed in UK!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘A shallow Q about China & what to do if you don't want to support their industry’ is closed to new replies.