Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • A Scottish Warning…
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that Scotland also has the highest per capita number of teetotallers in Europe?

uplink
    Free Member

Those that do drink must be making a serious effort to keep the figures up then 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

Not sure about that one Captain, but their heart attack rate even beats us in Ulster!! Impressive

coffeeking
    Free Member

If I only live here but am originally English, am I unaffected by this scare?

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’d suspect a lot of them are a result of dire warnings from their Doctor to stop drinking.

druidh
    Free Member

My grandfather died through alcohol – he fell into a vat of whisky.

It took him ages to die. He had to get out twice to go to the loo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s druidh, folks, he’s here all week….do try the haggis.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Funny though, to me it seems alcohol is less of an issue here than when I was a student in Liverpool. Maybe its just because here it seems to be a daily way of life, rather than a friday/sat binge thing.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

We’re whupping your asses on the obesity stakes as well – maybe it’s the drink 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

1 in 20? pfft. rubbish

1 in 2 in Russia. Ivan knows how to do it!
    🙂
    (admittedly a slightly restricted demographic, but still)

And the average across Europe is 1 in 10..
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iJXwi5eb91I1wO43hzWkVm__eYZQ

Anyway, shouldnt it be “A scotch warning”?
    😉

BoardinBob

I think if you take the stats for the west coast of Scotland out of these things, Scotland would be one of the healthiest nations in Europe!

The grimness of Glasgow and other sh1tty surrounding towns definitely drags the whole country down.

duckman

Was drummy not recently the unhealthiest place in Europe outside of the old soviet-block?

kimbers

dont knock it all that eu funding to try and combat some of the lowest life expectencies in europe have led to lots of trails centres being built,!

so all us middle class english mtbers can come and use them

keep drinking the pishy larger and eating the deep fried mars bars you scots, we love you for it!

BoardinBob

dont knock it all that eu funding to try and combat some of the lowest life expectencies in europe have led to lots of trails centres being built,!

Ironically, with the exception of Carron Valley, there are none in the central belt where all the unhealthy folk are!

Spongebob
    Free Member

As ironic as that advert for Scottish beef a few years ago…The one portraying English men as being obese, whilst all Scotsmen were all sixpacked and lean Kaber tossers.

Nothing could be more misleading, except for,,,,no I shouldn’t 😆

nickc

there are none in the central belt where all the unhealthy folk are!

Isn’t the middle bit where most scots live?

epicyclo

Spongebob – Member
    As ironic as that advert for Scottish beef a few years ago…The one portraying English men as being obese, whilst all Scotsmen were all sixpacked and lean Kaber tossers.

Don’t be sucked in by that ad. They are portraying Highlanders not ordinary Lowland Scotsmen, and we are all like that up here (well, after a few glasses of our local dew, we feel like that) 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

The grimness of Glasgow and other sh1tty surrounding towns definitely drags the whole country down.

I can quite honestly say that while a lot of the towns around glasgow do appear to be grey and miserable (its just the houses being grey and box-like, im convinced!) it is no worse than just about any other city in the UK. I came here expecting it to be hell, and found it remarkably nice. Wouldnt want to live in Govan, but then I wouldnt want to live in Toxteth either.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Might be the whipping boy of STW but iirc Glasgow is independantly rated higher than Edinburgh as a short break location.

>dont knock it all that eu funding to try and combat some of the lowest life expectencies in europe have led to lots of trails centres being built,!<

Near England and in the Highlands…

There are numerous post industrial wastelands throughout the UK – Glasgow just has these pockets in more volume. Second city of the empire and all that…

EU funding (for tourism) goes to the Borders and the Highlands because the Forestry Commission sees rural development as one of its primary functions. Nothing wrong with that although both areas are actually relatively healthy / affluent.

Now the government is telling them they need to contribute to the health and well being agenda so they have the WIAT (Woods In and Around Towns initiative. This has pumped money into the urban fringe in the form of more greenspace with trees and some very limited / tame trails but thats about it as far as mtb is concerned.

Dont think the growing of trees as such is going to make much of a dent in the obesity / morbidity stats. The health professionals are doing their bit but something far more radical needs doing on the sporting front

Spongebob
    Free Member

I spent a few weekends in central Scotland many years ago. Mile upon mile of mini roundabouts and horrible boxy houses. The women were hot though.

MussEd
    Free Member

I spent a few weekends in central Scotland many years ago. Mile upon mile of mini roundabouts and horrible boxy houses. The women were hot though.

Yip, the whole of Central Scotland is exactly like that thanks Spongebob, you’ll spare a few folk the bother visiting in the future…

BoardinBob

I can quite honestly say that while a lot of the towns around glasgow do appear to be grey and miserable (its just the houses being grey and box-like, im convinced!) it is no worse than just about any other city in the UK. I came here expecting it to be hell, and found it remarkably nice. Wouldnt want to live in Govan, but then I wouldnt want to live in Toxteth either.

It’s actually considerably worse than just about any other city in the UK. I love living here but it’s got a very, very grim side.

It’s the murder capital of the UK http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/10/27/glasgow-is-britain-s-murder-capital-claims-new-survey-86908-20843315/

It’s the unemployment capital of the UK http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8000029.stm

Life expectancy is also poor http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7584450.stm

mrmojo
    Free Member

So we like a drink so **** !!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘A Scottish Warning…’ is closed to new replies.