Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A rubbery question
  • ask1974
    Free Member

OK, so getting back from the Alpes end of the week and will need to remove the Maxxis HRii tyres I fitted for the mountains. Looking to try something new and would like good allround fast rolling tyre(s).

Originally had Specialized Purtgatory and Clutch (both 2.3) tyres which were fine, just fancy broadening my tyre knowledge. Will be fitted to a Five.

Any recommendations welcome. Cheers.

mboy
    Free Member

Nice and specific criteria those… 🙄

Seeing as you’re looking for “something new” and “allround fast rolling”, but mention nothing else, may I suggest trying a slick tyre?

Or alternatively, you could put some more info up, tyres you do and don’t like already, what kind of things you expect from a tyre etc…

Failing that, you’ll probably just get more silly answers!

seavers
    Free Member

Got a pair of Ignitors on my 5.

Mostly trail centers and Yorkshire type messing about. I find them fast rolling and have some grip too. Not awesome in the slop but found them good over everything else.

ask1974
    Free Member

Bloody hell mboy your a tough one aren’t you…! All I want are some tyre recommendations for a trail bike that’ll be used in the UK and I’ve listed the three tyres I’m familiar with. Can’t believe you took the time to type that response and not add any constructive comment.

Thanks seavers.

mboy
    Free Member

Can’t believe you took the time to type that response and not add any constructive comment.

Did you not read the 2nd half of my post…?

Or alternatively, you could put some more info up, tyres you do and don’t like already, what kind of things you expect from a tyre etc…

Failing that, you’ll probably just get more silly answers!

I’d say that I was being very constructive.

There are hundreds and hundreds of tyres on the market, very little point recommending a single one of them unless you’re more specific with your requirements…

All I want are some tyre recommendations for a trail bike that’ll be used in the UK

Is NOT being very specific with requirements.

Where do you ride? Mainly trail centres and hard packed, or mainly soft natural trails? What size do you want? Rubber compounds? Tubeless or non tubeless? Kevlar Folding or wire bead? etc etc…

chiefgrooveguru

The Purgatory only comes in a 2.2 or 2.4 actually! So if you had 2.4 F/R before I’d try 2.4 F / 2.2 R for something faster. Or if you want to spend a pile of money I can recommend my new favourite pairing of Rubber Queen 2.2 front / X-King 2.4 rear (both black chili) – the RQ rolls well for how sticky it is whilst the XK grips just enough, drifts beautifully and rolls really fast. I can’t imagine a situation where these wouldn’t do a decent job and many where they’ll be great.

Northwind

If what you’re used to is a Clutch and Purg on a five then just about anything’s going to seem fast rolling! Brilliant tyre, the Clutch, but not quick.

ask1974
    Free Member

OK I stand corrected by mboy, should have noted that I would like tubeless as well. CGG are the RQ and XK available tubeless? They sound good. The Purgatory was a 2.2. I ride in the west Surrey hills mostly and the surface varies between sandy and, well, mud these days. The Maxxis HR give stunning grip out here in the Alpes but feel very draggy hense my request for fast rolling, I don’t like the feel of them at all for XC or singletrack.

aguesty1
    Free Member

2.2 RQ here, love them for all round riding, roll well, loads of grip and are easy to fit as a tubeless tyre. RQ for the win……

chiefgrooveguru

Mine are the RQ UST and a XK Protection, both tubeless. The XK UST isn’t black chili and I think that’s really worth having. Both went up easily tubeless. Much of my riding is similar terrain to the Surrey Hills. And the 2.2 RQ and 2.4 XK are pretty much identical sizes, RQ slightly bigger, despite the numbers.

jam-bo

Advantages. Similar to a roller but lighter and faster.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A rubbery question’ is closed to new replies.