Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • A round of toast = how many slices?
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

If it was a B&B, hotel etc I’d expect a round to be a toast rack filled with toast. Maybe that’s 2 or 4 slices cut cut in halves.

Harry_the_Spider

1 round = 1 slice. Anything else is madness.

My 4 year old daughter uses “round” as a unit of toilet paper.

1 round = 1 sheet.

ste_t
    Free Member

I won’t bother explaining why, just tell her from me that she is wrong.

Definitely wrong.

maxtorque

Who knows / Who cares.

But what i DO care about is not having ENOUGH toast. So, always make MORE rather than less!!!

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

A round of golf involves visiting all of the holes on a golf course, this suggests that a round of toast involves visiting all of the holes in a toaster, which is generally 2, but may be more. Or it may mean that a round of toast = 18 slices of bread.

nealglover
    Free Member

Which was taught to me by my primary school teacher, so pre-dates the internet by quite some time.

Ah ok.

So it was just known as “twaddle” in those days then.

chewkw
    Free Member

bikeneil – Member

My wife asked me to make her a round of toast. I put two pieces of bread in. She then said she only asked for one piece i.e. a round. But I think a round is two.

Who is right?

Don’t argue just let her be in the “right” but make sure you ride her hard. I mean harrrrdddd … during the “riding” ask her how many rounds does she want … ride her harrrddd. 😈

samuri
    Free Member

This answer from my son.

3.14 slices.

RustySpanner

A pi on a barm?

Now you’re talking.

sadexpunk

a round of toast is one slice.

a sandwich is bread on top, bread on bottom, with a filling no matter what size. two slices of bread with a filling is one sandwich. cut it in half its 2 sandwiches but smaller ones. cut into quarters you now have 4 even smaller sandwiches.

nealglover
    Free Member

So if a sandwich cut in half is two sandwiches.

Is a pie that’s cut in half, two pies ?

If so, I’ve got a great marketing campaign idea for Greggs

deadkenny
    Free Member

The beer analogy makes sense actually. A round is getting a round in, so you may be making more than once slice, but the key thing is you’re making enough for once slice each.

So one slice for her, yes.

Normally if someone says they’re doing a round of toast it would be for a group though, I’d say. Otherwise “stick a slice on for me” is a better request 😉

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve just had a terrible thought.

What if, my wife disagrees with the op’s wife?

They can’t both be right. What happens now?

sadexpunk

So if a sandwich cut in half is two sandwiches.

no, this is just for sandwiches. the english language has many strange anomolies, this is just one of them 🙂

forget about the logistics of cutting them for now….. if someone hands you a big wodge of bread that is a slice on top, a filling, then a slice on the bottom he would say “heres a sandwich for you mate”.
    if you were at a wedding and he brought you a plate with 2 vol au vents and one of those dinky little sarnies cut into quarters, he would say “ive brought you 2 vol au vents and a sandwich mate”.

see? it works 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

Normally if someone says they’re doing a round of toast it would be for a group though, I’d say. Otherwise “stick a slice on for me” is a better request

If I take a slice of bread and slice it in half, how many slices do I have?

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ironic this topic has come up… mother in law asked me at weekend, ‘how many butties you want?’ i said just one thanks. she said ‘two rounds tho?’ ‘what!? no just one.’ ‘one round, you sure?’ yes please…. i got one slice of bread folded in half! i obvs wanted two slices. cock knows who is correct

thestabiliser
    Free Member

One slice of toast? WTF use is that? 2 slices – call it what you want but two slices.

Alex

I’ve just had a terrible thought.

Don’t even think about it. It’d be like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters!

molgrips
    Free Member

Which was taught to me by my primary school teacher, so pre-dates the internet by quite some time.

Still rubbish though imo. Really annoys me that people seem to feel the need for extremely specific and detailed explanations for the origins of words and sayings – why? Why can’t it just be something made up on the spot by someone once to sound vaguely appropriate?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think 2 slices of bread is “two rounds”, but I’d always rather have extra toast than not enough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Round of toast = a slice for everyone who wants toast?

konabunny
    Free Member

These guys should know:
    [video]http://youtu.be/WJmKStqugMc[/video]

TimP
    Free Member

If a round involves filling the toaster, I stayed in a hotel where they had a perpetually moving conveyor belt type toaster. How do you do a round in that?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Ah, the well-known Schrodinger’s Wife paradox. The Copenhagen interpretation would hold that each wife is simultaneously right in her own home, although if you asked Einstein he would say this was all just “internet twaddle because my wife doesn’t play dice” or something.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

If a round involves filling the toaster, I stayed in a hotel where they had a perpetually moving conveyor belt type toaster. How do you do a round in that?

Every so often one of these “perpetual toast machines” turns up, none of them ever stands up to rigorous study though.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

This is where we need TJ.
    He would proclaim with absolute certainty that a round = x slices. As usual, he’d be wrong so that’s one answer ruled out.
    The rest of the Internet would gang up on him to eventually provoke the Edinburgh Defense (“only joking”). The last bullypost before that would be the correct answer.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

When there’s no bread in it, start putting slices in, one after the other. When the first slice pops out, stop putting any more in. When the last slice comes out, you have a round.
    EDIT and it’s called that because the bread goes “round” the toaster.
    Maybe

TimP
    Free Member

But as soon as one “pops” out, the toaster is no longer full, and therefore the round is not achieved surely?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

No, but if you were to keep feeding the toaster until it broke down you would have enough toast to go round the hotel. Hence the term a “hotel round”.

sparkyrhino

1 round of toast = 1 sliced loaf.

andytherocketeer

No, but it is 2pi

(edit: and damn windows won’t let me paste a pi symbol)

annebr
    Free Member

I don’t understand a person only wanting 1 slice of toast! 😕

40mpg

So whats the correct unit of measure for a toasted sandwich, eh? eh?

Go figure that one out 😕

wwaswas

whats the correct unit of measure for a toasted sandwich, eh? eh?

‘The Breville’ as in ‘can I have a Breville of ham and cheese please?’

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

’round’ just sounds plural, like a round of drinks.

samuri
    Free Member

More importantly, will the round take off?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I asked the wife – she says two – and she knows everything apparently.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘A round of toast = how many slices?’ is closed to new replies.