Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • A risky purchase….?
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I quite fancy a set of forks on iv seen on Pinkbike. 2015 Fox float 180s. finding these forks new for reasonable money is a Challenge. Especially in 26in flavor – they seem to be like hens teeth!

At the price I would snap them up but there is a problem…or is there?

The seller is in Turkey – Normally Paypal goods and services would be fine – but the seller has emailed me saying (and Google seems to agree) that Turkey has switched off Paypal 🙁

No way I’m doing bank transfer – the only other option the seller has offered is Paypal to one of his friends who has an international account and can use Paypal…

So what do you think? Too risky? Would Paypal cover me sending money to the ‘friend’ of the seller?

Also – is there likely to be import duty on these given Turkey isnt in the EU…or does that not matter for a private sale?

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I wouldn’t.

Perhaps a late set of Marz 55 RC3 ti in 170mm instead? They seem ridiculously cheap now.

honourablegeorge

160 36s can be readily extended to 180

ndthornton
    Free Member

Dont you need a new air spring though? I looked into that today and the Fox site appears to suggest there are different air springs

cloudnine
    Free Member

Nope.. No way.
    Or say goodbye to your money

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah too risky – no protection, and yes import duty would be a factor.

Are you talking about the ones for £600ish?

How things have changed, they couldn’t give away 180mm 36s a few years ago, I kept seeing them new for £400 or less and it was always case of “oh, bloody 180s again”.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Dont fancy the Marz 55s
    I’m after a weight drop from my older 36s (as well as an increase in performance)
    I think they might even be heavier

ndthornton
    Free Member

Are you talking about the ones for £600ish?

How things have changed, they couldn’t give away 180mm 36s a few years ago, I kept seeing them new for £400 or less and it was always case of “oh, bloody 180s again”.

yeah – he will accept £550
    I know – I have those £400 forks!
    Trouble is the later ones are a totally different beast

stevied
    Free Member

What bike Nick?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Intense

ndthornton
    Free Member

I wonder if the Mrs fancies a holiday to Turkey this year??

stevied
    Free Member

Another option could be the 170mm Lyrik RC2DH? Really impressed with mine when I had them on the 6.6 (and 601 until I went 27.5″).

P-Jay
    Free Member

170mm Lyrik RC2DH

I had those on my Cove, they were brillaint forks.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Its an option – thats old Lyric though isnt it? How does the damper compare to the charger?

stevied
    Free Member

2014 with Charge damper fitted: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2112189/

Throw in a service and you’re still quids in 😉

ndthornton
    Free Member

Good deal – But Im not convinced that is an improvement on what I have
    I think the RockShox option is…. new Lyric with a 27in front wheel

ndthornton
    Free Member

…or 26in wheel and mahoooooosive tyre 😀 😀

stevied
    Free Member

Or a Yari? Mine have been brilliant so far 😉

What have you got at the mo?

tmb467
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member
    160 36s can be readily extended to 180

Not sure this is 100% correct – the fox website specifically states it can’t. However, mojo can play with em and increase the a-c to give an additional 20mm. my understanding of this is that as part of this change the travel isn’t really extended as the airspring is altered to only give about 165mm travel. The bike will sit up more and the stiction disappears but the travel doesn’t really change (much)

ndthornton
    Free Member

2014 Fox 180 TALAS
    they are ok – but not as good as Id hoped
    Heavy, a bit wallowy, and an annoying clunky bottom out
    I could change them to floats I suppose – but I like the look of the 2015 versions – much lighter chassis and air negative spring similar to Rockshox. Older 36s are fixed coil negative spring and if you are a lighter rider and run lower pressures this robs you of travel.

You cant fit the new air spring to the 2014s

andyg1966

Sounds like your mind is made up and you want the collective to back you up. The collective seems to say NO!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yeah I know what I want – I might not buy these particular ones though – thats the question

Is there a secure way to pay – if not Im not having them

trail_rat
    Free Member

why can he not have his own paypal account.

dodgier than a string bag of fish.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Well, because like I said PayPal has been closed down in Turkey…that bit is definately correct

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘A risky purchase….?’ is closed to new replies.