Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • A return to riding..
  • sharki
    Free Member

Well that’s been long enough, so it comes with a heavy heart and much regret that I announce here that I am returning the trails by bike.

It’s been a few years now since I’ve properly terrorised the trails in fact I’ve ridden less than a dozen times in that duration.
    One being a little 25 miler on the Quantocks on Xmas day 2013 and a few un-motivating winter rides. The X fusion Enduro 1 organising sent me down a few Haldon forest runs, which tested my nerves, steep rooty trails were a thing of the past and of distant memory for my trail riding reactions.(It improved after a few runs, so I wasn’t holding people up to much, I hope)

In fact, the last time I went out, was to set the transition times for last years Quantocks X Fusion event and an average guide time for the timed stages. Crikey that Cockercombe stage made the butt muscles twitch, especially with a ceased and high seat post..

The bikes getting rebuilt and even though it is one of those retro old hat bikes with the undersized wheels and what appears to be to few gears out back and to many up front. I’m giving the heads up to the emergency services too as I’ve only got a wee 9mm skewer holding the wheel to the measly 130mm forks. It that survives, the non tapered 1 1/8 steerer tube might be an issue.

Before anyone bites, i’m not taking the pee out of what’s new and it’s followers, i’m just taking the pee in general as that’s what I do.(some may remember)

So if in the coming months, visitors to the Quantock hills see me out on a blue ON ONE 456 and i’m holding you up on the trails, please ring ya bell and i’ll happily pull over for you.

allthepies
    Free Member

<likes>

teasel
    Free Member

Welcome back, Sharki. How’s the wildlife photograhy been…?

sharki
    Free Member

Hi Teasel.
    Pretty good thanks. Can’t link anything on here anymore as I don’t host anywhere that has a compatible link for here.

Si
    Free Member

Whoop!!

Your still Bridgwater then fella? If you need any bits bob me a message have a box of used stuff here.

sharki
    Free Member

Yes Si. I’m 2 miles from the Forest.

Shouldn’t need owt for the bike for a while, unless I ride as much as before..

Andy

Glad to hear it Sharki. Must get down to the Qs soon and still owe you a pint or two for that weekend a couple of years ago when Padded Fred lost it a bit on a descent 😆

qwerty
    Free Member

Welcome back Sharki, should hook up to ride sometime, garage is great. Hi Si, where are you these days?

Si
    Free Member

The forest as in Triscombe?

Somewhere norf of the border Martin… Although time soon for a change me thinks. Still in Struud?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Watch out for barbed wire.

sharki
    Free Member

Yes Si, same forest as the Triscombe trails.
    About7kms from the DH trails or 5kms from the heathland and combes.

Andy, i’ll be pleased to do it again and no need to ay in beer 😉

Qwerty. That would be great.

qwerty
    Free Member

Aye, in Strood, the Shire suits us, staying put for a good while.

jobro
    Free Member

Good to hear you’re back Sharki.

I’ll let knottie know you’re back in the groove and we’ll have to get a Q’s ride in.

Knottie has been proper training on the road and is a climbing god nowadays!!

jam-bo

Time I came for a visit then…

matt_outandabout

Another one back on the trails. Ace.

sharki
    Free Member

Jobro.
    I may get an old duffeers invites from all the old crew. I know they’re all about turning pedals on various types of pedal bikes.

Jambo. Certainly, I need too try and amend things here with trail use. It appears single track is too narrow for many riders as they appear to be making double tracks here now.

Cheers Matt.

jobro
    Free Member

Funnily enough we were talking today about that lovely piece of singletrack on the Q’s which I never was sure if it was properly called Sharki’s trail or Jambo’s trail!

ton

welcome back mate. hope you are keeping well.

Si
    Free Member

I seem to recall it was called Sharki and Jambo’s….

jam-bo

Is that still there? Must be ten years now since we built it?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Great to hear Sharki!
    Been loving the wildlife photos mate…

ART

Welcome back Sharki 🙂 you are not wrong re. the ‘double track’ tis exactly what we were thinking having spun down Weacombe today. ‘Nduro innit, that’s the problem…

sharki
    Free Member

Jambo we built that trail in 2006. The top section was re worked in 2011 after the forestry damaged a little of the top right after the start as far as the gully run.(It’s even better now)

Art. I think the biggest issue is Strava.
    Many riders are to busy chasing times and therefore they are straight lining the twists and turns that make trail riding a fun and challenging part of the experience.

Either that or these demonsterous wheel and bar sizes are preventing riders from taking the lines of old.

Having sais that, the huge wheel volumes and wide bar will prevent stray riders from drowning, when they leave Weacombes trail for a paddle down the stream. 🙂

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

The X fusion Enduro 1 organising sent me down a few Haldon forest runs, which tested my nerves

Think that was the last time i saw you, glad you’re back riding 8)

Been trying to keep that trail clear as its one of my favouites and had to get the saw out on a few occasions in the last few years 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Welcome back fella! 😀

jonba
    Free Member

Welcome back.

jam-bo

Deffo nearly time for quantocks sessions part duex.

Let me know when its dried out a bit

Rickos
    Free Member

*waves*
    I suffer from Magicsick disease these days and never venture beyond home trails and the FoD, but f you’re ever this way drop me a line and we can go for a ride.

sharki
    Free Member

Jonba, you’ll get Dibbs upset if he gets that earworm 😉

Looking back, that image quality is terrible compared to the quality’s that modern cams produce. Then again, a Sony cyber cam zipped tied to ones helmet(no laughing at the back) was crude yet state of the art in 2006/07.

Rickos. Having been to the FOD and course marked on a lot of the trails there, i’m certainly keen to ride them.

jam-bo

I must have a higher resolution copy lurking on a hard-drive somewhere.

mtbel
    Free Member

I think the biggest issue is Strava[b] blogging[/b].
    Many riders are too busy chasing times[b] taking pictures[/b] and therefore they are straight lining the twists and turns that make trail riding a fun and challenging part of the experience to get back to their computers and tell the world.

😉

Rode with you once, years back. The ride kinda dull and uneventful and I didn’t actually know who you were until months after the ride.
    Welcome back to bicycle riding.

qwerty
    Free Member

http://www.fodmbe.org.uk/wild_boar_chase.php a not too expensive group pootle in the forest, coming up soon ish.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Good to hear buddie

BUT with an olde bike like that you will fit in well with us duffers 😉

doug_basqueMTB.com

Welcome back mate! I’ve been loving your wildlife pics but great to see you are getting back on the bike. Very fond memories of trying to chase you round strathpuffer!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘A return to riding..’ is closed to new replies.