Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A really good video on using 112 in an emergency. Please watch
  • iolo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=XPZv_8dABfU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXPZv_8dABfU&app=desktop[/video]

I knew a bit but had no idea about non European countries and texts.
    I’ve just registered my phone now.

aracer
    Free Member

Except that’s a load of rubbish – 999 works just the same as 112 in the UK. There is prioritising of emergency calls on some networks and phones, but it works just as well for 999, and not all he says is true for all phones.

iolo
    Free Member

Rubbish? Please explain where he is factually incorrect. He was not talking about 999.
    So what about europe, america. india etc?
    is that rubbish too?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

He was suggesting that you should dial 112 instead of 999 in the UK because doing so has some magical properties you don’t get with 999.

iolo
    Free Member

And where’s the rubbish bit you speak of?
    Please tell me what you number you would use in the alps when you break your leg?
    Who would you call when someone steals you money in Mombai?
    It’s a well done video giving excellent information.

simon_g

Same video as posted last year, same old misinformation.

Factually incorrect – almost everything except that dialling 999 or 112 will get you through to the emergency services.

Last time around I said:

To expand. There is no difference or priority between 999 and 112 calls in the UK. All mobile phones with keypad lock / PIN on them allow 999 as well as 112 (as well as 911). The emergencySMS service actually uses 999 officially although 112 works too. The cell towers all have spare capacity for emergency calls beyond normal voice calls (hence you sometimes see “emergency calls only” on your phone) and if there’s lots of people also calling 999 / 112 then you’re SOL. Ofcom apparently ensured a few years ago that you can roam across UK networks to make an emergency call, even if your own network is out of reach (subject of course to your phone working on that network’s frequency – almost all do now).

999 or 112 gets you to the same place – one of the central call-answering services (the ones who ask you “which service?”). Based on your landline address or a rough location from cell triangulation they should always put you through to the appropriate local fire/police/ambulance control centre.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cant see it at work, is it the same video that says they can find your location, it gets better signals etc if using 112 rather than 999?

aracer
    Free Member

+44 1243 621 379

leffeboy

It was a rather long video to say call 112 rather than 999. I thnk the deal is that 112 should work at least as well as the regular national emergency number in all european countries so there is no reason not to use it rather than 999.
    http://www.112foundation.eu/view/en/vertical/the_112/background.html

simon_g

Who would you call when someone steals you money in Mombai?

😆

I wouldn’t rely on 112 in India. From a mobile, it’s supposed to redirect to the regular emergency number for the country you’re in, but they don’t have a centralised emergency number.

Dial 100 for police, 101 for fire, 102 for ambulance.

rusty90
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rely on 112 in India

Nor USA and Canada. Some service providers will redirect 112 to 911 but not all. Using 911 is much more reliable.

The bit about registering texts is useful, though everything I’ve seen says use 999, not 112. See emergencySMS

diawl2
    Free Member

At 4.17 and 5.20 he actually says 999 but it’s been dubbed over with 112. Good info all the same. I put Echo112 on my phone after watching the vid of that guy bleeding out in the Alps.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A really good video on using 112 in an emergency. Please watch’ is closed to new replies.