Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • A real fear of flying.
  • Kryton57

Useful thanks. I do know a pilot, and hes offered to take me from Bimingham to the Isle of Man and let me have ther controls. Thing is, he’s the same guy I use to rave with in my early twenties, and now IOM Sidecsar TT driver, once glider instructor pilot who did the “loss of control” freefall test in Gliders for fun – eg hes a bit mad, not sure I trust him to maintain as safe & level flight.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Risk v Hazard = Adrenaline!

He clearly has some sense of self-preservation and if he’s a friend and knows you, he’d hopefully take into account you new version of getting high!

Normalisation. F1 drivers think that cornering at 4G is normal. I’d soil myself. I guess it what you’re used to and how you understand it. Knowing the engineering side probably helps a lot as does repeated exposure to the same danger.

cobrakai

I have claustrophobia which normally comes out when I’m on a flight which could then be seen as a fear of flying. Working in aviation I know the procedures and safety records and that means I feel safe flying, but stick me in a snow hole, cave, metal cylindrical object then I get mild panic attacks.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The problem is pilots can talk to you as much as they like and you can be presented with all the stats in the world to show you that there is no safer way to travel, but you’re dealing with an illogical fear. Maybe the best therapy is to take flying lessons? Only that way will you get a real feel for how an aircraft fly’s, how it is affected by wind and conditions and that when you’re flying through turbulence or something that there is any element of loss of control.

I’m a believer of facing your fears head on. Talking to people will only get you so far, but at some point you have to face and conquer the physical effects of fear and I fail to see how you can do this without experiencing them. The problem with just going on one of those fear of flying courses is that it is a one off, and if you do it then not fly for another year or so, then have you really conquered your fear? hence my suggestion to take some lessons. Over the period of a few months taking regular flights, taking control, so focussing your mind on an activity, and doing it for a sustained period of time hopefully will be a great help.

Xylene
    Free Member

A few years back, while living overseas, and not having flown for a few years, I became really nervous about the whole flying thing. I decided, living in a country that was good at dispensing meds, to visit the doctor to get some diazipam to settle my nerves for the flight.

The doctor decided, after describing my fear of flying, to prescribe me Midazolam, 10 of them.

My knowledge of the benzos told me these were quite potent for a short period, and in a very sensible act, I took a couple at home to test how strong they were.

Waking up part way between the kitchen and the couch after 2 hours gave me a good indication that they may be overkill for a 12 hour plane journey and I left them at home.

I don’t know what would have happened if I had decided not to try one before getting on the plane.

an illogical fear.

Why I won’t go for a health check up – I worry about what might be found. I’m a rational person, but for whatever reason that fear stops me going.

globalti
    Free Member

The sad thing about fear of flying is that it’s so irrational because flying is thousands of times safer than driving. I think the statistics are something like a 1 in 40,000 chance of being in a car crash and a 1 in 30,000,000 chance of a plane crash, and even then you’ve a 50/50 chance of just walking away because so many incidents happen on the ground.

Modern airliners are so safe, with every hydraulic and electrical system triplicated; and they are flown by trained, sober, (usually) mentally stable people with decades of experience and separated from other aircraft by thousands of feet. Civil pilots also go a long way off route to avoid bad turbulence and they fly incredibly smoothy in consideration for their passengers. Contrast that with some of the muppets who get behind the wheel of a car, especially in a developing country where they probably bought the driving licence.

Taking lots of small aircraft will give an unrealistic expectation because they are much more subject to wind and turbulence. Huge modern aircraft like the Boeing 777 and the Airbus A380 are so stable that they barely notice turbulence. During my years as an exporter I did go through a period of feeling nervous about flying but I took a couple of private lessons (our milkman is an instructor at Blackpool!) and I actually read one of those books about air emergencies, which did a massive amount to help me understand how safe modern aircraft actually are.

For the OP I would strongly recommend one of the BA courses for nervous flyers, it would seem like a worthwhile investment.

binners

dantsw13

Kryton – where are you flying to? If it’s with us I might be able to pick up the flight and be your personal pilot? On second thoughts, that might not help………….

Seriously though, if you are flying from LHR and I’m anywhere near the airport, I’d be quite happy to talk logically through stuff with you – you seem the logical analytical type on here.

zippykona

I’ve tried all kinds of hypnotherapy and spent a fortune.
    Just get some drugs from the doctor.
    Coming back from New York I could feel “it” coming on. Tight tummy.sweaty palms , took a tablet and 10 minutes later I was right as rain and looking forward to the flight.
    It’s not the flight I fear it’s the fear of fearing the flight.

Kryton57

I don’t know what would have happened if I had decided not to try one before getting on the plane.

I did the same – collapsed at home, but the adrenaline on a flight means that 20mg of Tamazipan allows me to sleep, with bouts of waking. I’m guessing the adrenaline counteracts it.

For the OP I would strongly recommend one of the BA courses for nervous flyers, it would seem like a worthwhile investment.

Been done. In fact I love watching about the mechanics of planes, I watch all kinds of documentaries and airshows so I know a commercial fly is way within aircraft tolerances.

As said above its all irrational!

dantsw13 – Member
    Kryton – where are you flying to? If it’s with us I might be able to pick up the flight and be your personal pilot? On second thoughts, that might not help………….

Seriously though, if you are flying from LHR and I’m anywhere near the airport, I’d be quite happy to talk logically through stuff with you – you seem the logical analytical type on here.

Thanks for the offer! I’m flying Gatwick to Tampa, 7th Jan with BA. I’d love the opportunity to get the coffees in and have a chat – I travel about for work so I can arrange to be around LHR easily.

Conversely, I’m a real fan of Air Crash Investigation. In my head its a gold mine of mechanical / biological issues and how they’ve been “fixed” for prevention in todays aircraft.

Kryton57

Well, thats it. I have 6 x 20mg of Tamazepam and a non-exit seat I guess I’m off on Saturday. Any last minute words of comfort?

🙁

perchypanther
    Free Member

Any last minute words of comfort?

Yep, That big swollen lump on the side of your face will probably preserve your teeth and make identification of your charred remains from dental records much easier. 😀

Kryton57

😀 😯 😐

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘A real fear of flying.’ is closed to new replies.