Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A quick question about cyclocross !!
  • andyt1054
    Free Member

Hi all

I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2017 Focus mares cx bike.

I’m living close to some great cx courses and lots of single track fire roads here in Switzerland, and am hoping with a little luck to do some low level races this year and next. The bike will also be used for occasional rides to the local amenities…..

My question is the bike comes with either 11 speed 105 Shimano for £200 more than the 10 speed Tiagra equivalent- the rest of the bike remains unchanged, and in honesty I prefer the tiagra version colourway!

Will tiagra be suitable for the above or would I be better with the 105 version.?

Any experiences, advice or general abuse welcome!!!

Thanks in advance

Andy

smiffy

Save the money.

prawny

Tiagra is great, I’d go for that unless the 105 one has hydro discs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, you’ll chew through kit on a fairly regular basis, buy what you can afford to replace (regularly)

I’ve been hanging onto 9 speed for this reason, burning through old stock of 105/ultegra 9 speed kit. But it’s getting barder to get hold of now.
    Next major change will (probably) be to 10 speed. Unless the 9 lasts until 11 is (more) reasonably priced.

jobless
    Free Member

I always see bike buying as buying a frame, with “upgradables” attached to it.

So get the frame you want. everything else will be changed over time anyway: wheels, groupset, saddle, bars….

if you are racing, expect to break things. it happens.

davidjey
    Free Member

general abuse welcome!!!

You used the word “colourway” and therefore you deserve everything you get 😉

Get tiagra, I used to race ‘cross on older 10spd tiagra, and I’ve got the current groupset on my commuter/gravel bike. It works fine, I certainly wouldn’t be willing to pay £200 more just for 11spd.

andyt1054
    Free Member

Haha – sorry about colourway! Your right! (That’s clearly the new ‘European’ influence on a Sheffield lad!)

Thanks for all the replies!

Unbelievably both versions have hydro brakes – I think they are even exactly the same. The spec this year looks pretty decent for the price point… I’m heading towards tiagra I think!

prawny

Tiagra then, definitely.

Just googled it, nice that, would make a nice commuter

ferrals
    Free Member

if you are racing, expect to break things. it happens.

I was reading a review of a cx bike with Ultegra di2 the other day and was starting to think about finance deals.. till i read the mech was over £200 😯 .. not really what you want on a bike where mech destruction is part and parcel fo the fun!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Gearing also worth considering.. You’ll need nothing more than 1×11 or 1×10 with a 32t front and 11-32 cassette. Front mech will just attract mud.

I bought some cheap cranks and use an older chain and cassette for CX racing.. Purely because CX will knacker drivetrain parts and be plastered in mud, grit and sand. CX has little mechanical sympathy for bike parts

TiRed

Get the 10 speed Tiagra. IF you race it, you might want to convert to nine speed. Seriously. The Gevenalle HOUP is a spoke/hub saver par excellance, for when your rear mech breaks and you need somewhere to drop the chain.

I run mine 10 speed on the road and nine off road. Swapping wheels is much faster then swapping tyres 😉

andyt1054
    Free Member

£200 for a mech – I’m fine ta

andyt1054
    Free Member

Definitely sticking with tiagra and a gevenalle!

SaxonRider

Will tiagra be suitable for the above or would I be better with the 105 version?

I had to make exactly the same decision in January, and went with Tiagra. To be honest, it’s been more than fine. And yeah, when it breaks, I can always replace it with 105 if I want.

TiRed

Oh and fit an 11-23 cassette for the road wheels. I run mine with a 38T on the front and this is a great combination for Surrey Hills and general riding. You might go for 11-25 if it is very hilly. You will be coasting down the big hills.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Gearing also worth considering.. You’ll need nothing more than 1×11 or 1×10 with a 32t front and 11-32 cassette.

32T front, on a CX bike?! I’m Spinny McSpinlegs and I run 38T normally, and a 36T on proper hilly courses/rides. And in fact I don’t actually use my 32 rear as it’s a bit marginal with my mech.

And we’ve loaned a 200 quid POS pit bike to a guy who’d ripped his 150 quid Di2 mech off with half a lap to go…

MrPottatoHead

Going against the grain here but I’d go for the 105. Tiagra version has 50/34 chainset which I personally wouldn’t race on. The 105 has more cx friendly gearing.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Depends how much it’ll cost for rings to make it CX friendly, sticking a 42/43/44 on the outside will only cost 30 quid (?) and gets you to CX size gears.

I’d not race on a 34/50 either, 34 is too small, 50 is too big. You’d be changing more at the front than the back………

Or convert to 1x

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A quick question about cyclocross !!’ is closed to new replies.