Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • a quick poll for any who might spare me a few seconds
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

no.

but i watched ‘moon’ (again) the other day, so i’d like my gloves to have a big scotchlite smiley ‘Gerty’ face on the back.

seosamh77
    Free Member

dangeourbrain – Member

You can’t fix stupid.debatable, but you can certainly encourage it (with silly ideas like indicators though. 😉 )

imnotverygood

No,
    I’m a regular commuter FWIW. I also think it has already been done & hasn’t really caught on.. For instance:
    http://www.bicycleindicators.co.uk/wpcproduct/bicycle-indicator/

klumpy
    Free Member

Chin up OP, you might get a better response if you were to ask among not-real-cyclists, the folk who just use a cheap bike to get about rather than the drop barred race heroes and gnarr shredders of STW. Not sure where to find them though, as they are unlikely to frequent any kind of cycling forum.

Oh, and I use indicators every day*. But then I am a motorbiker.

* sometimes even several times a day. 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No.

Why:
    Fiddly, expensive and [main reason] the lights are always too close together.

No, put a couple of Orange OLED triangles on the shoulders of a jacket with a wireless, small, solar-charged and maintainance free control system on the handlebars – THEN we might talk again.

Oh, and it needs to cost circa £30.

thomthumb
    Free Member

no.

someone i know bought these, not sure i ever saw them fitted though.

http://www.winkku.co.uk/

kayak23

Hell no…

Cougar

I think it’s a bad idea.

a) you’re fixing a problem that doesn’t exist, the majority of cyclists have an indicator at the end of each arm. Perhaps might have an application amongst the paraplegic market? and,

b) given the number of “where’s your bell” comments issued by pedestrians (when you’ve been dinging like Tio Salamanca for the last five minutes), and the penchant amongst some drivers for victim blaming in RTAs, I’d be very much against giving the great unwashed a further excuse of “where’s your indicators” as they plough over me with two tons of steel.

Sorry.

i_like_food

Am a bit late to this, but no.

stevomcd
    Free Member

You know what would work quite well? An “indicator” on the back of your glove that would automatically come on when you stuck your arm out. Pretty workable on a flat-barred bike at least – your hand is flat when it’s on the bars and vertical when indicating, so a tilt-switch arrangement would work. A drop-bar version is surely envisageable as well.

seosamh77
    Free Member

apart from when I hold the ends of my bars.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m going with the herd. No.

redthunder
    Free Member

Yeh 🙂

and

I’m also working on a Bicycle Roof Rack.

Would you like this… YES or NO . Before I go off to Thule 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

No.

IanMunro
    Free Member

No.
    25 years of bike commuting, people not being aware of me indicating has never been a problem – generally such people just aren’t aware period.
    That’s not to say there isn’t a market for them – just probably not grizzled commuters.

redthunder
    Free Member

a grizzled commuter.

Cougar

I’m also working on a Bicycle Roof Rack.

Don’t be ridiculous, a bike doesn’t have a roof.

redthunder
    Free Member

@Cougar

Damn… didn’t think of that 🙁

TheBrick
    Free Member

OP no way. Hands are much more visable can point. Some small leds on the back of gloves may be good though.

seosamh77 – Member
    Incidently, this is one of my pet hates about cyclists. Who the hell teaches people to stick their hand out and move into another lane without looking behind them? (I actually I saw some school teachers teaching some kids to do this the other week outside my flat, I was tempted to say something but I didn’t. but it’s not exclusive to children, people of all ages do it. It’s a bit mental if you ask me.)

It is because this is how they drive. Most people when they get on bike ride how they drive, its just that bad habits are more obvious when riding a bike compared to driving a car as you are less with the speed of the flow of traffic.

Most people don’t check their mirrors when indicating, or driving in general they just turn right or left no checking anything than what is immediately in front of them so why would they when riding? I see load of people driving around with their wing mirrors folded in, how they pull off without noticing and adjusting before moving I don’t know. Should be a fixed penalty for that IMO.

Rockdodger
    Free Member

No

TheBrick
    Free Member

stevomcd – Member
    You know what would work quite well? An “indicator” on the back of your glove that would automatically come on when you stuck your arm out. Pretty workable on a flat-barred bike at least – your hand is flat when it’s on the bars and vertical when indicating, so a tilt-switch arrangement would work. A drop-bar version is surely envisageable as well.

I think just a circle or triangle of yellow leds on a glove would be better surrounded by some reflective tape. Permanently on. They would not have to be any where near as bright as a rear light, just enough to aid the reflective glve and increas eye catchability.

garage-dweller

OP
    I rode for transport and leisure on and off road.

No.

Why
    1) somehow the courts will use the absence or presence of them to blame cyclists
    2) I wonder where the road traffic act would sit on them?
    3) they would add weight to the bike
    4) am arm is a much bigger indicator
    5) two types of indication from cyclists is likely to produce confusion or excuses for motorists and smidsy incidents

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No.

I quite like the idea of left and right trafficators on the helmet though.

Kunstler

No. I never turn right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No

1) If they are on the bars they are easy to obscure with hands/body etc.
    2) On the back of the bike they would be too close together to work out which was being used for some people
    3) Some elaborate clothing based system – too much faff

Bright reflective lines on the arms and bright glove backs/reflective yes.

All my signals are preceded by a good look and made with a very positive arm movement/signal.

jag61

+1 ernie might have to build these into a pointy TT helmet and would create a lot of drag? slowing me down even more. ‘Idiot sticks ‘looked useless on cars back in the 50s 60s with fewer cars on the road. however if this is to be a college based design project (dusts off Design and Technology teaching hat) a working prototype might achieve decent results . other than that OP im oot.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The comments are appreciated. I was thinking along the lines of an “over glove” with led lighting and an induction based proximity switch in it which would tally with a light on a bar end with combined inductor – hand off the bar by X inch (including off the bar but not stuck out which is a problem for me in heavy but fast traffic) and the bar end blinks along with the glove, hand on bar and both are off. No user switches, no big chunky lights on a seat post or anything like.

konabunny
    Free Member

1) somehow the courts will use the absence or presence of them to blame cyclists

Any evidence of this or is it just supposition

ahwiles
    Free Member

Gary Mccourt, who killed Audrey Fife, would certainly have received a stiffer sentance* if Audrey had not “contributed”** to her death by not wearing a safety helmet.

(*it could barely have been more lenient)

(**according to Sheriff James Scott)

cyclists are often blamed for the failings of their killers.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘a quick poll for any who might spare me a few seconds’ is closed to new replies.