Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A Question Regarding Renting…
  • Wansley
    Free Member

Hey Guys,

Got a quick question which i hope someone can answer for me…

Me and my girlfriend are currently looking for houses to rent and we have found one we like within our budget etc that we would like to rent.

Now the girlfriend went to the estate agents today who rent the property out and whilst filling out details they said she was unable to rent the property due to her being 20 years old. (Needs to be 21 apparently). Now we were both halfing the costs of all the rent/bills etc however it would only be coming out of my account. (she would transfer money each month to my account).

So could i now go into the estate agents and tell them that i want to rent and that i can pay the rent and the bills etc (albeit still with my girlfriend transfering money to my account) and that im 21 etc… would they allow this? Would i have to say my girlfriend is moving in with me but im paying the rent/bills etc?

Just need abit of advice to clear this up a little bit.

Thanks in advance! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's up to their T+C's IMO, you can ask to be sole tenant if that makes a difference.

How far away is she from 21? Worth negotiating?

jam-bo

if your renting through an estate agent/agency then this is just the start of them screwing you over.

private landlords all the way.

Wansley
    Free Member

Shes 21 in just under a year. Apparently theyre abit strict on people being 21. Maybe not open to negotiating… Ill have to see.

Jam – Problems with Estate agencies in the past? Would like a little info about why to go with private landlords if poss 🙂

cp

if you're 21 and it's your name going on the form, then yes, you can go back in there and rent it. doesn't matter who lives with you.

jam-bo

every letting agent that I have ever had dealings with have been a bunch of robbing crooks out to fleece both you and the landlord for every penny they can.

but maybe thats just me…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd think a private landlord will work out better – most are not in it for profit to the same degree.

piemann
    Free Member

Hi Wansley,

I've rented various flats/houses over the last 15 years. In all that time, there has only been one agency that have not been a total shower of barstewards.(DJ Alexanders in Edinburgh)
    Private landlords have usually been much better in my experience.

I've no problems naming and shaming the worst offenders:

Homes4U.
    Never, ever, ever give any of your money to these tossers. I've not met anyone who's got anything good to say about them and they were atrocious during the 6 months I spent renting from them

Countrywide Residential Lettings.
    Very similar to Homes4U although they stopped short of entering the property without permission or with minimum notice, unlike Homes4U.

Don't get me wrong, there are also shady private landlords out there too. I'd avoid those with loads and loads of flats/houses across whatever town city you are in.

My most positive experiences have usually been when a couple have got together and one of them has let out their old place after they've moved in together somewhere else.

HTH.

Pie

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yep, letting agents are much more likely to be unreasonable IME, and would charge you for having a shit if they could get away with it. Private is always the way to go if you can. Know your rights, moneysavingexpert forums could help with this. READ THE CONTRACT, that's all I'll say, and make sure you discuss anything you're not keen on with the landlord. Some may have put unfair clauses in.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Funny this, I'm with Clyde letting and I have only twice needed to contact the agency in 18 months, both times they did all the legwork and got things sorted. Can't imagine needing to have any more contact than the occasional emergency. That said, I'm not looking forward to getting my deposit back, I'm sure they'll find SOMETHING.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Ooooooh spleen vent:

I hate letting agents! My 6 month minimum tenancy is about to expire, so my flatmates are going to stay put and our contract just continues to runs monthly. The agents want to charge us £75 for the priveledge of having them do absolutely nothing 😆 Tossers!

Wansley – They might consider what you're suggesting to be sub letting, which is probably in breach of the contract…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A Question Regarding Renting…’ is closed to new replies.