Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A question of Wheels
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

On my Handjob I currently have Mavic 321’s on Deore 525 hubs with ACI DB SS Spokes, but as it’s my birthday in a few weeks y missus has asked me what I want, yey!

So I thought to myself I’ll have some lighter/better wheels more suited to the bike and the riding I do (trail centres, local woods and now I’ve discovered the peaks some of that)

I’ve seen the following:

1, Merlin Cycles Mavic 717’s on 2007 XT Hubs for £135

2, Merlin Cycles Mavic 717’s on 2009 XT hubs for £125

3, or a set of Hope Hoops with DT Swiss 4.2 rims for arouns £235 at Dave Hinde

My main questions are; which would be the lightest set, which would be the strongest set or indeed a comprimise of strength v’s weight.

Also are the hope hoops worth the extra £100 over the Mavics on XT, or is it just bling factor?

BTW I don’t do tubeless.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Anyting not sourced from Dave Hinde, primarily!

You can’t really go wrong with any combination of (XT Hub/Pro 2 hub) + (717/719/etc) as long as it’s built properly 🙂 Whilst I can’t comment on the Hope stuff, I know that Merlin wheels are jolly good…

steve_b77
    Free Member

The Dave Hinde thing isn’t an issue for me really as I live down the road and have never had any problems with him in the past.

Solo
    Free Member

I once bought a pair of wheels from CRC, Mavic rims, DT comp spokes, Hope Hubs. They came in at under £200.

As mentioned, anything that includes your Mavic rim (717) and a hope hub, is likely to be light enough, tough enough for the use you describe.

Whatever you get, enjoy your birthday.

🙂

Solo
    Free Member

I once bought a pair of wheels from CRC, Mavic rims, DT comp spokes, Hope Hubs. They came in at under £200.

As mentioned, anything that includes your Mavic rim (717) and a hope hub, is likely to be light enough, tough enough for the use you describe.

Whatever you get, enjoy your birthday.

🙂

Solo.

gingerflash

Don’t buy from Dave Hinde. Lots of people have had problems getting stuff from him and encountering really rude and unhelpful staff.

Hope hubbed wheels will be about 100g lighter than equivalent XTs and will have cartridge bearings; Shimano will be loose ball bearings. XTs are still goo dhubs though, by most accounts. Some people think DT rims are a bit softer and more prone to dents than Mavics.

I’d go for Hope Pro2s with Mavic 717 or 719 for about £230 at Merlin, or if you want lighter still, DT 240s with 717s.

Solo
    Free Member

Sorry for the double post.

Fat fingers.

Solo.

dobo
    Free Member

my 6 bolt xt are fairly heavy but center lock shimano hubs are a bit lighter than the 6 bolt versions, and the 2009 hubs are lighter still.

also that 2nd link to merlin 717 are not disc hubs.

Northwind

I’ve got Merlin XT/717 on mine just now, I’m a cack handed knob but I’ve still not bent them. Went with centrelock for the lighter weight… I’m pretty light though at 10 stone so I don’t give them the hardest time, but they’ve proven themselves more than strong enough for me so far. Can’t fault Merlin’s build or service at all.

I do wish I’d gone with 719s if I’m honest, just for the width- despite what it says on the websites Mavic do rate 717s for up to 2.3 if you’re running below 50psi, but I like the 2.35 Nevegals. oops.

gingerflash

I run 2.4s on 717s, about 28-30psi, tubeless. No problems.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I get the feeling I’ll use all my Birthday money on a set of hopes, I do love the 5.1d’s I’ve got on the Pitch

TonyT
    Free Member

Not long fired a set of Hope Pro II’s with Mavic 719’s on my bike. Very happy with them, rear hub is much louder than any other hub i’ve owned, I love it, but could be a bit of a surprise if you were not expecting it.

TonyT

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A question of Wheels’ is closed to new replies.