Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • A question for Wiltshire riders (Wessex Way query…)
  • DrP

Wessex way, as in Weston -> Eastbourne….

I’ve ridden the Eastern section (basically, the SDW) several times so know what that’s like…
    But never ridden the first half of the route.

The guide book looks like it’s talking sense when it says ‘ride EARLY in summer to avoid wet spells and nettle overgrowth’. I’ve a feeling I’ve missed the boat this year (shame) but have a few days of riding planned for the end of September…. (Note the concept of a few days….not 2 weeks to plug thou mud and brambles!)

For those local to the area of who’ve ridden the route, in your opinion, what is the Weston -> Basingstoke section likely to be like come the end of September?
    If it’s like the most part of the SDW then it’s wide tracks that are unlikely to be clawing me back with bramble and nettle, but if a lot of it’s narrow tracks and fields, then the nettle attacks would be too challenging…

Opinions and view welcome!
    Cheers

DrP

Wiltshire County Council spend less than a fiver per year maintaining their ROWs so expect brambles and nettles.

cinnamon_girl

Just having a look at my mapping software for you.

OK, will only comment on areas that I know so that means from Warminster onwards you’ll be using the ridge track which is mainly stone-based. There’s a good few miles of this and it’s easy pedalling. The grassy ridge at Golden Ball Hill should be OK.

There’s a bit now that I don’t know but Easton Hill will probably be mucky due to farms. From here onwards you’ll be fine, ie through Collingbourne Kingston. However when you reach Inkpen Hill, this is full of ruts but they will disappear.

You’ll effectively be following Wayfarer’s Walk and this consists of much grass. Again there will be some muck due to farm use. This is a fantastic area, really gorgeous.

The Candovers are currently very overgrown with the odd tree down blocking a trail or two but there’s always a way. From here to Alresford will be fine, again the odd tree down.

Edit: agree with comment re Wiltshire trails, however Hampshire trails are about the worst I’ve seen for donkeys years.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘A question for Wiltshire riders (Wessex Way query…)’ is closed to new replies.