Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • a question for those who know anything about android
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Battery performance on my phone isn’t what it was.

I don’t know if running cm10.1 on my galaxy s is a reason?

So thinking what to do.

apparently the top 5 drains are:-

exchange services have used 23%
    android os 18%
    maps 16%
    screen 12%
    mobile standby 9%

what is exchange services, why is it using so much battery, how/what can i do about it?
    why would maps be so high?

i am guessing the battery capacity has fallen through use, is there a way of finding out by how much?

DickBarton

Exchange services could be email? You got auto sync activated? Permanent data connection?

poly
    Free Member

exchange services is probably syncing a lot of mail, possibly unnecessarily. you need to explore the settings both on the phone AND if you have outlook web access etc – then from your server side.

maps – do you have GPS turned on? do you use maps and then not kill it (so it is always running in the background)?

mikey74
    Free Member

Turn off your GPS, wi-fi and data transfer when not using them. This saves a lot of battery.

Exchange services are e-mail related, so turn of auto-syncing and manually refresh whenever you want to check your mail.

Cougar

Are you using some sort of task killer?

mrmo
    Free Member

gps is hard to run off as the reason for the looking is that strava failed to record a ride because the battery went flat.

Wifi etc that can be turned off but how much battery will that save?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And turn off Bluetooth and NFR if you have them.

mrmo
    Free Member

And turn off Bluetooth and NFR if you have them.

almost always off, just have very little use for either

DickBarton

Only switch gps on when needing it…a few minutes before starting strava will be fine. Web browser can use gps for search result fine tuning so isnt just mapping apps that use it.

BenjiM

If you’re running something like Strava, Sports Tracker etc. for a long ride, put the phone into flight mode. The battery should last a lot longer. I’ve done 10 hour + outings with Sports Tracker running in Flight mode and still have over half the battery left. the GPS will still run. Just put it in flight mode after your GPS is locked on. If you’re running Ice Cream Sandwich and not Gingerbread Android there ahve been a lot of issues with fast battery drain with ICS, this seems to mainly be the case on the Galaxy S2 however.

labsey
    Free Member

Above, you probably don’t need exchange. The standard email client is good enough. Switch screen to automatic brightness too.

Advanced Task Killer is a good app.

Cougar

Advanced Task Killer is a good app.

Task killers on Android are, generally, a bad idea. I’ve done this subject to death on here before so I’m not going to go through it all again, but there’s a good chance that using a task killer will worsen your battery life (which is why I asked, above).

muggomagic

Ditch the task killer. Really not needed on any android device from froyo up.

Turn off WiFi when you start the route and 3g too as if the signal is no good when you’re out in the sticks your phone will use a lot if power hunting for it, and you’ll still be able to make/receive calls and texts. You can also turn off auto sync before you start as you won’t need that while you’re out and this will also stop your phone being connected to the exchange server for your email. If you haven’t already, put a power toggles widget on your home screen so switching the above on and off becomes very quick indeed.

mrmo
    Free Member

thanks, will have a play and see what works best

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘a question for those who know anything about android’ is closed to new replies.