Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A question for the TT'ists (Pacing)
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

As I know there are a few that have, or are racing them I thought I’d ask here.

Been doing a lot of TT’s this season with some success. They are mostly all around 10 miles ones and I have pretty much got the pacing sussed to suit me.

Now that my fitness is really good I have entered some 25m (40k) ones. Not really sure how I’m going to pace it so I’m after your experiences of them. 🙂

In 10 mile TT’s I’ll ease into it for the first couple of miles (around 4 minutes) and then settle into my TT pace at 180 bpm which is 7 bpm over my threshold. I’ll also attack hills and ease off on the downs for recovery. I know I won’t be able to sustain that for 25m ones though. Initial thoughts are to split into four sections of equal distance. Go out under threshould and slowly increase in each quarter with 3 and 4 building to 10 mile pace. How does that sound?

Will be trying it out in training this weekend.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Depends on the terrain, I rode a flatish 25 and aimed to average 20mph which is what I did, didnt use heart rate just cadence at 85

lazybike
    Free Member

Some good advice here

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I find pacing 25s easier than 10s, just ease into it and then sit at threshold and start ramping it up for the last 5 or so miles.

dnc29
    Free Member

Don’t worry about pace, just keep it upright!!
    Crashed during my last TT………broken elbow!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

my First/only 25 didnt really know what i was doing other than an older member of the club telling me two things. no one goes sub hour for their first 25(a lie ;)) and dont hold back.

i ramped up to 180bpm about 10 over my “hard ride” pace – held it and aimed for 95 RPM.

Close out the pain and just keep it spinning.

njee20
    Free Member

Power meter FTW!

m1kea
    Free Member

Back when I was fitter I was either brilliant at pacing myself, or not pushing hard enough on the shorter distances. I can’t decide which though I’m leaning towards the latter.

I’ve ridden splits for 50’s faster than single 25’s and 100’s at 25 pace plus a couple of mins per segment…….

If you’ve not done many 25’s and depending upon the course, how about riding to an average speed and see how that goes? If you’ve managed 20 miles at 25mph then you should be able to wind it up for the final 5.

premier
    Free Member

Key Is a steady start again – look at wind direction – headwind out ride harder to the turn, tailwind out save a bit – power meter helps but better to have the feel of pacing – cross reference rpe with time and distance and ride on the cusp of what you can sustain – adjustments are very subtle!

TiRed

Power meter for my club 25 – kept it at 90+% of FTP for an hour. Finished at 20.7 mph average. No aerobars either and a windy course. Was aiming for 21 mph average, but came in just short. The power meter helped by not going too hard and blowing up. HR would probably work just as well. Not that keen to ride another as I found it pretty boring compared with racing.

njee20
    Free Member

Power meter for my club 25 – kept it at 90+% of FTP for an hour.

As your FTP is the max power you can sustain for an hour you either need to adjust your FTP, or ride harder next time 😉

footflaps

I used a Power meter and after a bit of trial and error found the power I could sustain for 10 miles etc.

TiRed

Real and extrapolated FTP aren’t the same 😉 . I probably could have gone a little harder as I wasn’t sick at the end. Saw it more as a real-world power test. The meter does help with not over-doing it. And that’s how I use it in races.

A PowerCal HR based meter would have worked just as well in this instance.

premier
    Free Member

If you rode the 25 at maximal effort then that’s the figure you should be using for your FTP. Just going out and riding at a set average power isn’t the quickest way to get around…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A question for the TT'ists (Pacing)’ is closed to new replies.