Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)
  • A question for the STW runners
  • boblo
    Free Member

I’ll claim that as a double strike, thankyou 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I get it – any reply is a “win” – so clearly trolling as well as craving any attention.

I said it several posts ago – stroll on laddio.

boblo
    Free Member

That’ll be three aaaand the full set. I’ve just won a bet… 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Boblo and his mate meet at the cyber cafe

***Boblo*** (sniggering) I bet I can get this random guy to reply to me three times on a website forum.
    ***Boblo’s mate*** (distracted) oh… really… errmmm go on then.
    ***Boblo*** I bet you TWO Opal Fruits I can do it!!
    ***Boblo’s mate*** yeah whatever…
    ***Boblo*** HA HAAAA I DID IT!!!
    ***Boblo’s mate*** oh well done, now ermmm I’m just stalking Alice on Facebook can you take the sweets and come and join me?
    ***Boblo*** Hey STALKER TIME! Oooh, she looks well fit, I bet she’s a good kisser.

boblo
    Free Member

Despite everything Matt, that was quite funny. Good to see you’ve got your sense of humour back.

Jolsa

Hey Jolsa- I’m not rising to your trol. I’m simply trying to offer my advice as someone who ran regulary for more than 20 years in response to a reasonable question. Take it or leave it

And I was simply offering mine. No ‘trol’. You gave the initial flippant ‘useless advice’ reply, and I’m simply putting forward my own opinion to counter your own. Nothing wrong with that, I’d just like a balanced view on here that’s all.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

SurfMat and boblo, cheers for ruining the thread. 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

SurfMat and boblo, cheers for ruining the thread.

Same old nonsense unfortunately 😐

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t be silly, its all been said:

‘Try xyz shoes they’re greeeat’ x10
    ‘Ooh no, no barefoot is bestest’
    ‘No it aint’ x 10
    ‘Yes it is’ x 10
    ‘I’m faster than you…’
    Repeat to fade

Just ignore the last page of nonsense.

nickc

Gotta say, I agree with double-D

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

J, how was your run? Are you feeling suitably inadequate after it? Toe all heeled up?

Jamie
    Free Member

I think Ian was onto something in that other thread. Shame there is no ignore function on here like on most forums.

Anyways, it was 10 miles of slippy slideyness and quite christmassy views. Not awesome, but I feel good for doing it in my slow, shambling fashion.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

He started it. As usual. And wrote nothing related to this thread. Just man up and ignore if not interested. You do not need an “ignore” button unless you have an eye problem or something. Moaning old tarts.

Anyway back to running…

It was nice to be able to go for it a bit today. Recent ice runs involving lots of careful skittering about and so times have been very poor (nearly wrote Charlie Romeo Alpha Papa then instead of poor – could have been another ban 🙂 )

boblo
    Free Member

Errm no, sorry old chum. This is what started it:

Surf-Mat – Member
    Lesson – never come to STW for running/shoe advice.

IMO at least 90% of this thread is complete BS written by those that are cr4p runners anyway. A few snippets of good advice but it’s hard to find…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Jamie, I’ll start looking at some suitable code over the next few weeks.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

nearly wrote Charlie Romeo Alpha Papa

That’s swear filter avoidance.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

That’s swear filter avoidance.

Got to be a pretty switched on kiddie to work it out though…

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Can someone please explain to me why using a cushioned trainer (irrelevent of cost) is BETTER and therefore MORE ADVISABLE than learning to run without shoes?

stever
    Free Member

Rocks, roots, dog waste and steep slippery descents are all good candidates for me. I like minimal, just not that minimal.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I also like minimal (off road) but if I ran “barefoot,” I’d come back with my feet in bits, dog turds between my toes and probably slip off the edge of a small cliff.

As long as it fits and is comfy, I don’t care whether it has more padding than a bouncy castle or has soles thinner than a ballet shoe.

Let’s not forget that the Olympic barefoot gold medallist (Bikhil or something?) won the first race barefoot and the second in a pair of Asics.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I didn’t realise quite how polarised one can become in a debate in this forum!!!

If you’re happy and you are running do whatever you want.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Afternoon all, just an update, I’ve been to the shop and spoke to some very helpful people whom answered all of my questions and were very patient with me, (I stopped short of showing them this thread) and in the end I have purchased a pair of Inov8 MudRoc 290, I tried on several pairs and tested them on the in store running machine, and these for me were the most comfortable, I looked at the Mizuno, but a combination of them not having them in my size and the in your face nature of the bright red colouring prevented me from getting those, I may well see if I can find some to try and also see if they have another colour option, as the shop guys rated them as a parallel to the Inov8 ones, any how enjoy your Sunday afternoon folks and thanks again for your advice it certainly gave me a basis with which to ask the questions required, so bickering aside, which is if you read back through the thread quite amusing, you guys do actually know your stuff. Just goes to show you can’t teach experience.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Good choice! Now get some miles on them!

nickc

I am now running about half an hour or so outdoors and a bit longer on the treadmill.

Can someone please explain to me why using a cushioned trainer (irrelevent of cost) is BETTER and therefore MORE ADVISABLE than learning to run without shoes?

Because I want to run for more than 1/2 hour?

Interestingly I was at my running club’s annual diner last night, spoke to quite a few about barefoot running, most if not all had read the book, some had tried it, some had stuck it out for quite a while all were running and racing now in conventional trainers

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Cheers Mat, had a gentle couple of miles in them yesterday afternoon, and they are very comfortable, I’ll just wait now and see how they wear

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ron – calves and heels okay? They can take some wearing in.

stever
    Free Member

Enjoy the shoes, and more importantly, the running.

Re: barefoot/forefoot running. I’m friends with a Pose trainer, he’s a good guy and passionate about what he does. He’s spent a ton of time rebuilding his technique and written off a season or more to do it. He’s about the same speed as he ever was. I like the theory, but I’m simply not willing to go backwards to (possibly) go forwards. I don’t really get injured or have particular problems (there, that’s done it). Why would I?

molgrips
    Free Member

I intend to go for an off-road run in my Innov8s at some point this week. I’ll see if they hurt me like they did when I ran on tarmac 🙂

DrDomRob
    Free Member

ron – good stuff, as the guys before me have said, get out and run. Just be aware that it means less time doing something else… I hope it’s not riding a bike!!! (Unless the sex is really that good!)

nickc – Fair enough. Before I changed to B/F running after about a half hour run I was in agony with my shins – to the point where I couldn’t run for a few days and was dubious about going out when I felt better. Not any more 😀

I guess like a lot of things the way you learn to run as a child will stick with you throughout your life. My kids will never be bought shoes. I will paint their feet the appropriate colour for their requirements.

surfer
    Free Member

My kids will never be bought shoes.

I’ve got my kids smoking 60 a day at the moment, when they are 16 they can make their own decision until then they are my responsibility and frankly I dont believe all this rubbish about the link between smoking and cancer.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a more cushioned Inov8?
    I’ve been out from running for a few years and my Roc310s? are cream crackered, plus I’m probably a bit too heavy for Inov8S now.
    I only really get on with Nike, the last seems spot on and I like their flared heels. Though their website isn’t representative of what’s on the high street.
    So I’m looking for something for off road use, mainly forest so loam and roots. And I don’t have any issues with gait etc. My Inov8 were great I wore them out inside and out, but they only did lightweight stuff for accomplished runners.

surfer
    Free Member

I run lots of mixed terrain in a pair of Nike Pegasus. The waffle outersole is more than adequate for paths,grass mud etc. I would only use fell shoes for…. err…. well fells really!
    I am a big fan on Inov8 but not for the day to day trail running that I think most people are talking about above. They are great for steep ups and downs, contouring etc but for everyday training they are overkill and a training shoe is more appropriate imo.

phil.w
    Free Member

oldgit – look at the shoc-zone rating, 1 – 4, where 4 is for longer distance. Also look for one of their shoes with a endurance instead of performance last.

For example…
    Roclite 312

oldgit
    Free Member

Thanks. The Pegasus was the classic normal shoe in the eighties, I really got on with them. The InoV8 range has expanded a bit.

BadlyWiredDog

One way of looking at the barefoot thing is as a specific way of strengthening your feet. A mate of mine, who’s a triathlete, aims to to a couple of 20-30 minute sessions per week in FiveFingers on soft ground, but does the bulk of his miles in more conventional running shoes.

Personally I run in anything from very light trail shoes – Inov-8s etc – through to full-on cushioned shoes from Saucony. I kind of choose depending on how I feel, where I’m running and what I’m running on.

My personal take on it is that there’s a continuum from really cushioned road shoes at one end through to minimalist, barefoot things at the other and which works for you is down to personal preference, experience, how you’re built etc. No right or wrong answers, just what works for you.

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve just been for a run with my bare feet inside some inov8s. No idea what the fuss is about.

molgrips
    Free Member

No right or wrong answers, just what works for you.

Well what you think works for you might be actually to your detriment, but you might not be aware of it – that’s the issue here.

iDave – you can’t run far inside a pair of trainers, can you? What size were they?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Mat, only two runs into them and so far so good, neither more than half hour at present, found by adjusting lacing tension I can get them more comfortable, and it’s not taking time away from riding, it’s for those short windows of time when riding is impractical, my dog however is sleeping like a log now as I’m dragging her out with me

surfer
    Free Member

Dogs seem to get tired and recover differently than people.

My mutt (Lakeland terrier) is fine running easy (between 7-8 min miling)and she is having fun around that pace. Ramp up the pace a bit say 6-7 min miling (all off road btw) and she likes it less. Any quicker and she doesnt like to come!
    She can move quick if she wants too of course but just “switches off”

After a longish steady run she gets tired but an hour in her bed and a drink of water and she is ready to go again,roughly 20 hrs before I am!

Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘A question for the STW runners’ is closed to new replies.