• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A question for the STW knowledge base
  • aa
    Free Member

I was out, having an evening potter last night, about 9.30pm. As you do.

Why is it, when you go from a tarmac’d road to an off road section (bridleway – no tree cover), that the air temperature is noticably colder?

rickon
    Free Member

Tarmac absorbs the heat, simples 🙂

woody2000

Cos the road absorbs more heat than the bw, and is releasing that stored heat once the ambient temp has dropped. Or something

aa
    Free Member

ta, for the replies, i thought it would be something like that.

why does tarmac retain heat better than hard pack? or am i missing something super simply and being dumb…

woody2000

Largely because it’s black I imagine…

ononeorange

Black has the highest coefficient of absorbtion; also I suspect a smooth surface probably increases it too (but not sure about the latter). Also, the tarmac will be closely and densely packed whereas the bridleway is unlikely to be (but haven’t done a check on your bridleway!!.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Absorbs heat because it’s black (awaits Ali G joke).

Retains it due to mass/specific heat capacity.

Releases it due to colour also.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I remember when i was a youth and we would hang around outside like you do on a very cold night. Someone said ‘why is this iron railing freezing cold yet this wooden one is quite warm’ to which I replied ‘they are both actually the same temperature although as the iron railing has a higher heat capacity it is absorbing the heat from your hand at a faster rate and therefore feels colder to your touch’. I was swiftly called a nob and no more was ever said of the matter.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is probably moisture just under the surface of the dirt too, which would be or have been evaporating through the day through the surface, also helping to chill it. Just guessing but it’s plausible.

Also, was the bridleway in a dip or trough? Cold air gathers in these, of course.

they are both actually the same temperature although as the iron railing has a higher heat capacity it is absorbing the heat from your hand at a faster rate and therefore feels colder to your touch

Higher thermal conductivity, not heat capacity.

DezB
    Free Member

On a similar tack – why, when there is not a hint of wind in the trees does it feel like I’m riding into a headwind on my road bike?? (And not just when I’m knackered!)

woody2000

Dez – the majority of your energy is spent moving air out of the way & the faster you go, the harder it gets. The moving air feels like wind as you move through it.

Probably….. 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Surely it’s just cooler to ride a mountain bike off road than on road

nicko74

Cos the road absorbs more heat than the bw, and is releasing that stored heat once the ambient temp has dropped. Or something

And apparently that’s why you should be careful while driving at night in Namibia: all the donkeys go and sit on the road to stay warm overnight, and then get run down by careless drivers.

[/random useless facts]

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think I go fast enough for that, woody 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A question for the STW knowledge base’ is closed to new replies.