Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A question for the saddle experts out there…
  • trisysjoint

Hi,

I have somehow managed to pop the front of my saddle off the rails. How do you stretch/shrink the saddle/rails to pop them back in at either end?
    I can push either the front or the rear into position but then getting the other end in is an impossibility ….unless you know the secret??

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

thejesmonddingo

Just bend the rails,pop back in,then straighten again 😯

clubber
    Free Member

It can sometimes be done with a lever like a flat piece of stiff metal but it’s very dependent on the particular saddle and IME it’s often a case that it’s not possible or not without bending the rails.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have NEVER succeeded in doing this. The factory must have a special press/method.

Wear eye/throat/groin protection.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I tried when mine went like that from a crash. Gave up. It would probably be weakened especially from bending rails, and if not likely to fall apart will likely creak lots.

Bin… Get Charge Spoon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

with a credit card

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve tried / failed at this. Give up 😛

jameso

Was wondering what a saddle expert is.. I’ve replaced a couple of broken rails. The only way I could get them back in was to file into the front locating area a little to help them pop back in and create leverage space + a lever locator, then use the right kind of lever to force them back in.
    I cut off an old bit of seat post at a shallow angle to make a thin-wall but strong shoe-horn shape with a tip the same width as the front rail seat area. Locate the rear rail ends first then lever it in with the curved part of the lever facing the rail / back of the saddle, start with the lever at 90 deg to the saddle and push it back and down, may need to drift the rails along/down the lever face with a small hammer or add a smear of grease – the idea is that the rail moves down as you leverage it. It takes some force but if the lever is the right shape it’ll pop back in when the lever angle is shallower. Adult supervision + safety specs recommended.

(Edit to add, this makes me look either really tight, or a big fan of certain saddles that I have. Bit of both!)

legend
    Free Member

TroutWrestler – Member
    I have NEVER succeeded in doing this. The factory must have a special press/method.
    Wear eye/throat/groin protection.

It was my groin that popped my old saddle off 😯

trisysjoint

Thanks for all of your replies, I’ve learnt a lot 🙂

Decided that bending the rails/my groin wouldn’t be the best idea and I’ll be shelling out for another spoon very soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A question for the saddle experts out there…’ is closed to new replies.