Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • a question for the nexus users (7 & 10" versions)
  • turneround

looking at getting the wife a nexus for her birthday but being new to all this, just wondering if any of you owners out there could provide some genuine feedback. She is basically after a tablet to surf, maybe watch movies (can they do this?), edit some documents (can they do this?) etc.

any help much appreciated.

oh, she want to steer clear of apple before anyone suggests an ipad 🙂

cheers

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I got a nexus 7 that I’m writing this on, had it for around 6 months and use it for everything. Watching movies, TV catchup, internet, gaming and some spreadsheet/word processing. I’m waiting for the nexus 10 v2 to come out, which should be next couple months for better all round. But I’m impressed by the nexus 7 and what it can do. Loads of apps and 1st support of android o/s updates. So win win

iainc

I have had a 7 for a year. It’s pretty good, although for most things ‘in the house’ the screen size of the wife’s ipad is better. I think the 10 would be ideal if you don’t fancy Apple

smokey_jo

Had a Nexus 7 for a year and it can do all you ask but if I was editing documents on a regular basis I’d go for a 10″ one instead.

Google drive & docs works well, can’t comment on any other office type apps.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve got a Nexus 7, whilst it is good, a 10″ screen would better suit what you want to do.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It should be OK but… be aware of the utter PITA that the N7 is to to mount external media ie: USB or SD card back up, is. You can use Nexus Media Importer/Exporter and an OTG cable, but frankly, why should you have to? Google/Asus should provide both external media support as part of the OS without having to use an third-party app, AND A FRICKING USB OR SD PORT! grrrrrr… Oh, and you can’t connect the N7 to your TV with a cable…

zippykona

I have an issue where after a bit of use the internet slows right down.So I have to turn the nexus off and back on.
    It has all its apps killed,location off and cache cleaned every day.
    When I do experience trouble I click on the WiFi sign and it says the speed is 16 whatevers rather than 50 odd when its behaving.
    Every other device in the house is fine.
    Do whether it has a worse receiver than other stuff I don’t know.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not malware or junk files? You can download file cleaners to sweep away all the gunk. It might even be a rubbish browser.

sadmadalan

I have a N10 and it is great for general use. It does have a habit of losing the WiFi signal, but that may be because I have a range extender and the networks overlap. Two networks, one network I’d! Looking at how to increase storage, but it is designed to be a cloud device.

smokey_jo

I use Airdroidfor file transfers which admittedly needs another device to mount the storage but works well.

Not had the whole slowing down thing here either, is it only on your home wi-fi network or does it happen on others too?

mau00149
    Free Member

Currently looking to get the wife one as well for similar purposes to turneround requirements. Had pretty much decided on the nexus 10 as i think around the house the 10″ screen makes so much more sense. (also the screen being slightly better than the ipad) However the potential launch of the nexus 10 2 is making me hold off (i’m certainly not a “must have the latest gadget freak”) just the possibility of it having a micro sd card slot for expandable memory. Also the likelyhood that the nexus 10 would then drop in price as a new model was released would be rather frustrating. No one has any confirmation when that is though…..

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The N7.2 doesn’t have an SD port. I doubt if the the N10.2 will either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘a question for the nexus users (7 & 10" versions)’ is closed to new replies.