• This topic has 77 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • A question for the motor cyclists new and old
  • letmetalktomark

I’ve wanted for several years to learn to ride a proper geared motorbike.

Keen on those of you who ride thoughts on a newbie learning to ride.

Those season riders knowing what you know would you recommend people give it a go?

To those that are new themselves to riding are you glad you did it?

I’m interested in real world views please.

davosaurusrex

How old are you? If you’re intending to ride in a spirited manner I’d wait until you’re past 25. I took my test at 23, bought a CBR600 as my first bike and was lucky to get away with it. Bikes are great though, just don’t sell your car to get one, you’ll regret it come winter

footflaps

I did a direct access course, never ridden a motor bike before, spent 4 days on an ER-500 and 4 days later had my licence. 2 days later bought a VFR-750 and put 12k on it in the 1st year…

However, that was years ago and I think it’s all changed and you might not be able to get a full license so quickly…

weeksy

Motorcycling changed my life in many many ways, I met my wife through it, I made lifelong friends through it, I went racing, I shattered bones, I survived. I do lots of trackdays, a little road riding, but overall I love motorbikes and all that they bring to me.

Northwind

I’m pretty much an ex-biker now, parked mine about 4 years ago in the really bad winter and just never put it back on the road… mountain biking took over. But still, I loved it, I could love it again if I had the money and time, some of the best times I’ve had were on or around motorbikes.

So what would I suggest… Mmm, do you drive? I didn’t, so picking up all the bike handling skills + roadcraft was harder than I expected, I went down the CBT and 125 route initially and glad I did- that was hard enough, I don’t think I could have gone direct to full licence. Got an inexpensive bike to learn on that I didn’t mind too much if I fell of it in the car park, which I actually never did now I think of it.

After a year or two I went up to full licence and an SV650, which is a great wee bike but also has the most fantastic user group- so got right into modding, trackdays, social rideouts, weekends away and touring etc. Doing it with other people made it much better. If that’s your sort of thing, check out the owners groups, some are ace.

Would I recommend it… Well yes and no. You didn’t really say what you want to do with it so I guess that influences it. For everyday use, I’d need a very persuasive reason to go back to a motorbike (ie, terrible traffic or parking). They are basically quite impractical, a lot of the time. Winter commuting took a lot of fun out of it for me.

But when it was good it was brilliant. Frankly it’s a lot like mountain biking, you have a great time, you meet great people… Sometimes it’s a pain in the arse and sometimes you wake up in a ditch.

dknwhy

I’ve had my bike licence for about 10 years now (car driver for 16 years)and i’m glad I did it but ultimately, it’s an expensive hobby.
    I haven’t had a bike for 4 years. I used to ride as part of my job for site visits and riding day in, day out on London roads took the fun out of it so when I changed to an office job, the bike went.
    I don’t regret doing the test though and now i’m thinking of getting another bike, just for fun.
    I did a week long, direct access test (incorporating the CBT test) for around £600 but I think there are more restrictions now and I would imagine it is more expensive.
    I’ve had a few different bikes (2 x CBR600s, CB1300, GS500) and I can honestly say the little 500cc was most fun, for the simple fact that I was always within my limits. Given the choice again, i’d probably get something similar – i’ve been eyeing up the new CB500x as a bit of a budget tourer.
    It you afford it, go for it!

rocketman
    Free Member

Would not recommend it unless you’re an absolute natural, very good at concentrating and doing the right thing all the time everywhere. If this doesn’t sound like you then motorbiking is not for you

Pigface
    Free Member

Why not try an off road day like Yamaha do. No pressure of being on the road. Loads of fun and learn to use gears etc in safety.

weeksy

rocketman – Member

Would not recommend it unless you’re an absolute natural, very good at concentrating and doing the right thing all the time everywhere

I’m not sure anything could describe me less.

klumpy
    Free Member

Been riding 20 years.

I used to ride mainly for fun and long trips to visit folks, since the roads now seem to have more speed cameras than lamp posts I only really ride on the road to commute. For that it’s basically the unltimate solution, no queuing, frugal-ish, sometimes fun.

If you do go for it, get advanced training as soon as possible. After passing your test you can’t get it too soon – and it needn’t cost much at all, the IAM is a good route. (And going on a track day is not advanced training!)

pondo
    Free Member

Why not try a free taster session on a geared bike run by an approved school?

http://www.geton.co.uk/

I think it’s a fantastic campaign – managed to get the wife to do it, and whilst she doesn’t want a bike (she only did it cause I made her), she really enjoyed the experience (or at least failed to not enjoy it insufficiently for her to make sure I knew what I’d put her through).

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys.

I’m in my early 30’s and have been a car driver since I was 18.

I guess being realistic any subsequent bike ownership and running would be fair weather only.

My commute when I do it by road is 100mile round trip and mainly dual carriage way so boring, boring, boring!

I guess its on of those things on my bucketlist to do.

rocketman – Member

Would not recommend it unless you’re an absolute natural, very good at concentrating and doing the right thing all the time everywhere

I guess this isn’t me. I won’t know if I’m a natural until I try it. I would consider myself to be a good, if fast, driver but then don’t we all.

weeksy

And going on a track day is not advanced training

However, teaches you lots more about bike control, cornering, handling and braking than any ‘training’ ever will.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve been around bikes for 40 or more years, everything from screaming 2 strokes to big capacity 4 strokes, I just love it all.

You’ll either love it or hate it IME and there’s only one way to find out

gonefishin
    Free Member

I just got back into it after a very long lay off (15 years) and I really like it and would recommend it to anyone. Even if you don’t every ride a bike again it will teach you to be significantly more aware than you would otherwise be in a car. Having said that I’m not sure I’d enjoy a 100 mile commute on a bike especially on dual carriageway. As long as the traffic move at a reasonable pace you won’t be much quicker on a bike and you will be more tired when you get to work.

Northwind

rocketman – Member

Would not recommend it unless you’re an absolute natural, very good at concentrating and doing the right thing all the time everywhere. If this doesn’t sound like you then motorbiking is not for you

What a load of rubbish 😆

Cougar

Step one is the CBT. I took the CBT on a whim with the attitude that if I liked it then it was something I’d have to do anyway, and if I didn’t then I’d effectively paid for a “red letter day” of playing with a motorbike. So it was a win-win situation for me. I started DAS lessons on another whim maybe a year after I’d done the CBT, then bought my first bike maybe a year or more after that.

Point I’m getting at is, you don’t have to commit to it at the level of “I have to buy a bike right now” if you don’t want, you can try it first and see if you get bitten by the bug. Which you almost certainly will. Even if you don’t carry it through, the skills taught on the CBT will make you a better driver; I firmly believe that it should be a prerequisite for a car licence.

pondo
    Free Member

I firmly believe that it should be a prerequisite for a car licence.

That must be amongst the most sensible statements ever written. I commuted into Birmingham on a CBT for quite a few years, which meant I did a couple of CBTs, and even resitting it after a couple of years was really useful. Everyone should do them.

rocketman
    Free Member

I would consider myself to be a good, if fast, driver

Way more to it than that bud as you might imagine. Lots of people can operate the controls and do all the training and maybe ride around for a bit and think that’s it.

You have to stay sharp and have a plan B and a plan C

All the time. Everywhere.

jota180
    Free Member

Post test training is something I’d recommend, 30 years ago I would have laughed at the thought of it but you live and learn (usually)

You can get a full day of Police training with Bike Safe for £10
    £10 for a full day’s training, classroom and one2one ride out – you’d be mad not to

BikeSafe

almightydutch
    Free Member

Do it!!!

Did CBT and Direct Access at 27. Even the Aprilia RS125 was a complete and utter joy to ride on my CBT.

Once you get some miles under you on a ‘big’ bike then you start to realise why people go on about it so much.

I know its a well used phrase but ‘4 wheels move the body and two wheels really do move the soul!’

jota180
    Free Member

You’ll also suddenly understand why dogs stick their heads out of car windows 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    I did a direct access course, never ridden a motor bike before, spent 4 days on an ER-500 and 4 days later had my licence. 2 days later bought a VFR-750 and put 12k on it in the 1st year…

However, that was years ago and I think it’s all changed and you might not be able to get a full license so quickly…

Well Ben that is just spooky, that’s exactly what I did including the VFR750! I’d been driving for a few years so the road craft bit was easier and I was in my late twenties so arguably a bit more mature…

You really learn to ride a bigger bike once you’ve passed your test and being a bit older and wiser hopefully helps mitigate the risk this represents. I kept the 750 for a couple of years then moved onto 1000’s. They are fantastic in the way they make their power and if you’re at all into adrenaline rush, you’ll love it. I couldn’t imagine commuting or using a bike as mere transport, It’d ruin it for me.

Go for it.

br
    Free Member

I’ve been around bikes for 40 or more years, everything from screaming 2 strokes to big capacity 4 strokes, I just love it all.

+1

It’s just like riding a bike; all the freedom with just higher speeds and greater ‘range’ 🙂

Also like a bike; you’ll pay for any mistake that you (or anyone else) make.

I still reckon that the way I came into biking created a far better ‘learning curve’ than the modern way. Started on a moped (45-50mph), got a 250 at 17 (good for +90mph) then passed my test and had a selection of RD350LC’s (110mph) before moving onto 4-strokes (and higher speeds). Drum brakes and cross-ply tyres too. Cash (or lack of it) also helped/hindered my move onto faster bikes.

Go do you CBT, and see from there.

I couldn’t imagine commuting or using a bike as mere transport, It’d ruin it for me.

Yes, but this is where the RoadCraft comes from. Nothing more depressing than those sunny mornings where the Sunday Bikers are out and observing that many of them have got a complete lack of RoadCraft and only luck is stopping them been the next casualty.

Stoner
    Free Member

Coincidentally I am just sitting down for lunch having just had a demo ride on a bike.

I passed my CBT 2.5 yrs ago and last winter decided to take the DA tests rather than renew my CBT. I’ve done 6,000 miles on my 125cc scooter and very much enjoyed it, using it for local journeys and some comuting . Now that I have the Landrover I want something I can ride for longer distances than either the scooter or the Landrover, so tomorrow I will choose between a 2013 nc700 and a 2014 nc750 and buy my first big bike.

I like to think that I’m a technically good rider, I think years cycling on roads puts cyclists at an advantage as new motorcyclists as our sense of road craft is often far more developed than most car drivers.

I’m 38 BTW.

boblo
    Free Member

stoner, I had an nc750 as a loan bike the other week and it was a reet laugh. It reminded me of a chums 50cc mx style thingy he had when he was 16 (in a good way). Light, quickish and you could let rip without reaching escape velocity. It would make a great first bigger bike.

BTW, agree with the ‘time served’ comments above. I don’t claim to be anything special on a bike and in extremis, I’d prefer to have 30 years of the sort of experience outlined above rather than a few thousand miles of pissing about on sunny Sunday’s. However, I can’t turn the clock back and bikes were verboten for me in my yoof. Just remember that when you’re hooning around….

flicker
    Free Member

Fantastic way to travel, love riding, doesn’t matter what or to where.

I’m doing this this weekend 😀

http://www.thelongestdaydownchallenge.co.uk

If you’re really bored you can follow it on facebook all through the day/night

http://www.facebook.com/TheLongestDayDown

StuE
    Free Member
    austen

I love them, and have since I got my first scrambler as a 5 year old.

Didn’t have the money, time or space when I was in my twenties, but then got my license a few years ago. I had agreed that I wouldn’t get a road bike as the other half is a medic and said no, so bought a road registered enduro bike which I somehow convinced her was ‘slightly motorised mountain biking’.

It seems a good compromise, it’s a hoot to ride and race and in all honesty is slow enough that I’m unlikely to do myself much damage, especially given the rural backlands I ride in to get to the green lanes. Love it and couldn’t imagine not owning one now.

cyclical
    Free Member

Got into bikes in my early twenties. Had been driving cars for a few years and was very glad I had learned a bit of road craft and made the usual beginner type errors in a car.

40+ now and the bikes are a distant memory – apart from a z900 and a GSXR 1100 a few years ago as part of my mid-life crisis !

No doubt bikes can be great fun and a fantastic way to get about, but they are also fantastically dangerous. Having been to four bike funerals by the age of 30 and regularly seeing several ex-bikers in wheelchairs I think you have to ask yourself is it really worth the risk – if bikes are your thing and you live for them (and I can understand why some people do) then fine……….. but if you are just looking for a hobby then I would look elsewhere at something a little less dangerous, or at least where the danger is more within your control.

BadlyWiredDog

Haven’t read the rest of the thread, rode motorbikes for years, loved it, they’re brilliant things. Eventually reached the conclusion that the level of risk outweighed the pleasure I got from it. I’d never try to put people off motorbikes, but understanding that you’re very vulnerable to both other people’s mistakes and your own, is a good start to staying in once piece. But they are brilliant fun.

hot_fiat

You can get a full day of Police training with Bike Safe for £10
    £10 for a full day’s training, classroom and one2one ride out – you’d be mad not to

Definitely THE best riding experience I’ve ever had. I learned so much and gained a huge respect for traffic plod. Though it was slightly disconcerting being pursued by a traffic bike with the guy shouting over the radio “faster faster faster!” It properly changed the way I drive and ride.

cubist
    Free Member

(And going on a track day is not advanced training!)

I managed to get my employer to pay for some advanced training due to the owner of the business losing a close friend in a bike accident and him seeing me riding ‘quite’ fast on my commute.

I booked a Ron Haslam track day – not sure that’s what they meant but my bike handling skills improved dramatically!

I did my Direct Access and then got an RVF400 for a few years which I loved – it was more fun than the sports 600s I had afterwards because you could thrash it without being at prison sentence speeds to quickly.

PS I no longer have a motorbike as I know my throttle hand is irresponsible. Its very easy to get into a lot of trouble very quickly (both legally and medically) so I bowed out on the birth of my first child.

footflaps

I’m 38 BTW.

He is but a child!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Had license for approx 17 years. Had a few years off as couldn’t justify running a bike. I now commute on mine, rain or shine. Love the freedom it gives unlike a car. Couldn’t image not having a license. Motorcycle and cycling are so closly linked. You feel and smell the elemets like you do on a bicycle. You’re very aware of traffic and somehow you feel better for it. Not sure others would agree, but it’s safer than riding bicycle on the road. Do it, get proper traning when you’re learning and throughout your riding years. Enjoy it whether it’s a 125 or an R1. They all make you smile..
    If you have a wanderlust, checkout advrider.com

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

bikes are great fun – just don’t make the mistake of thinking that you need to get something sporty right away. there are plenty of fazers and bandits out there that will give you enough fun and scares to keep you happy for a couple of years. I would contact the traffic cops and ask about BikeSafe. They vary from region to region, ours (Tayside) was free, and evening at traffic cop central with general discussions about bikes and riding from the top bike cop and some first aid. Then a Sunday ride out with a bike cop on your tail who pulls you over after an hour so and crits your riding. very helpful. grampian used to charge £30 but the cop mechanic came along as well and gave pointers on maintenance

totalshell

30 years riding and an ecletic collection of stuff from 1953 AJS to early 90’s cagiva elephant.

my reccomendation would be take an all in training test package then get something like a step thru scooter to learn your roadcraft and apprciate that the most dangerous thing on the road are car drivers..
    dont ever consider an F1 11 love missile that voyage of discovery ends all too frequently at the crematorium

get something classic 80’s for 3 grand use it on high days and holidays for riding out to the country /pub and polishing the rest of the time.. it ll appreciate hand over fist you wont kill yourself itll be cheap to run and insure.. whats not to like?

weeksy

get something classic 80’s for 3 grand use it on high days and holidays for riding out to the country /pub and polishing the rest of the time.. it ll appreciate hand over fist you wont kill yourself itll be cheap to run and insure.. whats not to like?

The joy of 180mph, the joy of knee scraping on roundabouts, the joy of lapping Silverstone GP circuit as quickly as you can, the pleasure of doing 300kmh+ when you really shouldn’t be ?

The pride of owning a 916, the ease of spannering on it, the smile every time you see your bike and fire it up.

jonnouk
    Free Member

IMO the recommendations of needing to be the next Marquez to be able to ride on the road is rubbish. Being able to control a bike is a small part of being on the road.

The most important thing is the roadcraft: identifying dozy b******ds who won’t check blindspots/are on their phone; keeping an eye out for road surface changes; making yourself visible when passing through junctions; road-positioning, etc, etc.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve got a 110c scooter that I ride on a CBT. I want to learn to ride a geared bike, both so I’ve got more options in the future, and also so I can ride without L plates – there’s apparently no test I can take on my own scooter due to the increasingly bizarre limits. It’s too small for an A1 license,and too big for an AM one. :/

I can’t learn or take an A1 test on either of my husband’s 125s, because he is a giant and I’m a hobbit (he’s got a Varadero and a motorcross bike!).

#firstworldproblems

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘A question for the motor cyclists new and old’ is closed to new replies.