Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A question for the lefties (handedness)
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

Have any other lefties found they’ve become pretty much ambidexterous for just about everything other than catching & writing & using a hammer?

I found scissors and rulers (and similar) a challenge at school, but I’m almost thinking I’m more able through having to adapt, so it’s kind of become a good thing.

Did people know that the proportion of lefties on the first space flight to the moon was greater than in the general population?

I joked to my right handed brother this proves lefties are more likely to be multi talented and special, and he responded it just proves lefties are odder than everybody else. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Lefties: not called sinister for no reason….

peterfile
    Free Member

Yes and no.

I thought I was pretty ambidextrous until I had my left arm in plaster for three months and then I realised how far behind my right actually is.

I do many things right handed as a preference (golf is a good example) because that’s how I was taught and I’ve never tried to change it.

TiRed

Well I’m currently the opposite! Mastered left-handed mouse work and everything else. At the moment, I don’t have a lot of choice.

bencooper
    Free Member

Different tasks for different hands really – writing and most hand tools with my left hand, computer mice with my right hand, same with texting on the phone.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Pretty much the only thing I use my left hand for is writing. Breaking my left arm at 15 was a god send. 😀

oliverracing

Yep, I’ve always used the keyboard/mouse the “right handed” way as that’s how they were in school and now it seems natural, but either way is fine for me.

Working on a car with spanners/other tools I’m fine either way – which irritates my R-handed dad who can only work well with his RH

Phone I’m fine either way, but tend to find I’ve set it up for left handedness so use it that way.

TimothyD
    Free Member

In areas of high homicide rates, lefties have a higher survival rate because people don’t expect a left hand to come at them.

I’m a pacifist, but heh heh heh heh etc 😉

TimothyD
    Free Member

I found I tended to lag behind when people were drawing a straight line with their rulers at school, it wasn’t until I became an adult that I realised it was because of the numbers going from the left to the right, and my having to cross my arms over to draw one, and sometimes the ruler would move.

ross980
    Free Member

I’m a lefty. I do a few things right handed though (use a mouse, play guitar, eat with a knife and fork). I used to struggle with scissors and tin openers before I realised it was easier to give in and do it right handed.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I found if I look on the side of the blade right handed people do, I can use right handed scissors in the left hand fairly easily.

It was an ‘oh yeah’ kind of moment.

mucker

Another corrie fister here, I used to play a bit of tennis and it really screwed my opponents up when I’d swap bat hand to hit a return coming off the other side.

Cougar

Have any other lefties found they’ve become pretty much ambidexterous for just about everything other than catching & writing & using a hammer?

No. I’m completely left-dominant; left-handed, footed, eyed. I’m a gibbon with my right hand.

I do very very few things naturally right-handed; about the only thing I can think of offhand is play pool / snooker. I do a few things right-handed like use scissors and shoot a bow, but these are learned behaviours due to unavailability of LH equipment rather than instinct. I use a mouse right-handed because when I first used one the cable / port position prohibited anything else (a happy accident because now I have my dominant hand on my dominiant input, the keyboard). I play Rock Band right-handed but air-guitar left-handed. (-:

I joked to my right handed brother this proves lefties are more likely to be multi talented and special

There’s probably a degree of truth in that. There is, I think, a correlation between left-handedness and Aspergers. For all its downsides, the geek gene brings a number of benefits.

eat with a knife and fork

I use a knife and fork the conventional way because the conventional way is crackers to start with. You eat with a fork in your right hand, but bring a knife into the equation and you swap hands? What’s up with that? Weirdos.

I found if I look on the side of the blade right handed people do, I can use right handed scissors in the left hand fairly easily.

The thing with scissors is the twisting action from your thumb pushes the blades together. Left-handed it’s reversed so it pulls them apart. If you’re conscious of this you can ‘pull’ counterintuitively to the left with your thumb and use scissors wrong-handed fairly effectively.

I used to play a bit of tennis and it really screwed my opponents up when I’d swap bat hand to hit a return coming off the other side.

Rounders at school. Yuks o plenty.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m a right hander, and can also catch left handed, so clearly you lefties aren’t as versatile as you think.

TimothyD
    Free Member

aracer

If one thing or person is versatile, another thing person also being versatile, doesn’t reduce the former’s versatility.

It’s bad for enjoying life to be a grump. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A question for the lefties (handedness)’ is closed to new replies.