Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • A question for the hirstute
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Been cleaning out the garage and got sidetracked.
    Fondling a frame led to fitting a headset I had bought ages ago and had never got round to fitting. A pair of rigid forks I bought on a whim off the classified got fitted.Just to see how it looked.
    On this went till there is just about a bike there. Just need to decide if this one is going to get those SLX brakes or a set of hand me downs from another bike.

So its going to be a rigid single speed. I have even fitted a SS specific chain ring I bought last time I had this yearning.

What I do not have is a tensioning device,chain or sprocket set.So before I pull the trigger which is better? Toothed or roller type? Do i need a SS specific chain or will a 9speed from my box of spares do? Do the cheap narrow sprockets chew up the free hub? Do i need one of the wider ones I have seen advertised?

Not had a shave since Thursday and the itching is driving me mad. Is the SS experiment going to do the same?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Itching passes, the desire to go back in time probably will too

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I am afraid the whiskers will have to be removed. I can’t cope with the itching anymore.

The single speed itch still needs to be scratched though. I could cobble together a 1X9 setup but I am going to leave that for another time.

Is it SSUK this weekend or something? None of the creaky knee brigade online?

tazzymtb

get over to one cog cycling on facebook, tis a place for all the freaks geeks and spaks of a one geared nature. They’ll have all the answers………and lots of abuse

cookeaa

I started off with this Gusset effort which under any real strain (climbing) skipped:

So after a few months changed over to the tensioning setup shown here:

Tensioned at the front using an old BB mounted DMR front roller device with a plain roller fitted, gives more chain wrap, no skiping/jumping, I reckon a blackspire stinger would work as well…

Used the same 1/8″ KMC chain, 16t steel sprocket and 32t Velosolo 1/8″ chainring in both configurations so the only thing changed was the method of tensioning.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If you have proper dropouts you won’t need a tensioner. 😆

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘A question for the hirstute’ is closed to new replies.