Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A question for the hi-fi geeks
  • ac505
    Free Member

Saying that we have a lot of hi-fi buffs on the site, I’d like to ask a “what’s this worth” question….

Some background, I’ve had a listen to the Devialet Phantom speaker and was absolutely gobsmacked at how good it was. The old lady has never liked all the clunky hi-fi gear kicking around so I am considering selling and buying one Phantom. Win-win for everyone!

So, the question, I have a very well cared for Tag 60i amp (pretty much the same as the audiolab 8000) and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8i speakers (cherry wood) plus a bunch of reasonably exotic cabling that I am happy to go to a new home to part fund the Devialet. I have no idea what this lot is worth, any ideas?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can’t guess on price but I would be careful on that Devialet Phantom speaker – it sounded impressive and everything but impressive is not the same as either realistic or something you would want to listen to for a long time.

Where did you hear it – Harrods?

Do they do a a home demo or something so you can run it at normal volumes?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The Devialet is a technical wizzard, but you really should hear it in your own place, as above.

Cambridge Audio do various tiny systems that sound pretty good, and I suspect you’ll save about 80% of the price of the Devialet!

WRT the OP – at a rough guess, you’ll be looking at 3-400 for your existing gear, but you need to find that out yourself, I just looked what they have sold for on ebay.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They also seem to be very aggressive in their marketing !

However they do seem to have already established a good reputation for their other kit so far.

I can find few reviews by actual non-journalists – here’s one :

Le Phantom est arrivée en Suisse!!!

I finally got to hear them. A single White on Friday and a stereo pair of Silvers yesterdy and I must say…they are FUN!

If not audiophile obsessed, a pair of Silvers could be endgame. Yes, they lack ultimate resolution in mids and upper mids… but the HF was pretty good and the bass can be a bit fat/exaggerated, but overall they work very well and can ROCK. Perfect party speakers too and they scale up nicely to 32 units playing in concert with each other. They passed the “cricket test” with Chris Jones -Roadhouses cut and were lovely with Thriller and Keith Dont Go. Rosanna’s guitar rift was also very pleasing, but lacked that extra resolution of the “unfair to compare to” Goldmund Annatta (where you could hear the performers murmuring to each other).

All in all for CHF4K for a pair of Silver, I found it extremely competitive for the price and tempting in its simplicity. Easy to love…and I was prepared to not like them as much as I did. As a 2nd system…(or 2nd home) like in a Lake cabin or a Chalet… it’s a no-brainer. Sonos on steroids.

What I would expect to see soon is that swanky bars and clubs will adopt them as near turnkey scalable solutions, given that they are easily wall mounted with a dedicated optional bracket.

The Silver weighed more than I thought just looking at them and ran a bit hot at the back vents. Me Likey!

mashiehood
    Free Member

i was very fortunate to have a pair for demo few months ago (was looking to replace my Meridian DSP 5200).

Very very impressive but the music is very ‘in your face’ – forced. I tried them for a week and decided to keep my 5200’s.

Slightly off topic but has anyone trialed Roon for managing their music library with Tidal integration. I am coming to the end of the 2 week trial period and very impressed. Its making me listen to music I had forgotten about!

ac505
    Free Member

I can get a home demo, but haven’t got to that stage in the decision process just yet. I agree they can be a little “in yer face” and the track I was listening to would work well with that in mind. I need some music a little softer and deeper and more atmospheric at the next demo
    I need to have another listen and weigh up whether or not to go for one of these is worth £1000 in decluttering and will give a significant improvement in performance….. The tag and monitors work well together, if I plan to keep them I would look to buy a new dac.

slowoldman

One Phantom? Mono?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A question for the hi-fi geeks’ is closed to new replies.