Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A question for the garmin edge 800 experts….
  • DrP

I like the edge – it looks great and has some good functions….
    But..

Coming from a 605, one of the things I loved about that was the ability to create a ROUTE using WAYPOINTS (in memory map) and to simply use the 605 to take me from WAYPOINT to WAYPOINT to WAYPOINT. It didn’t try to be clever or reroute me, it simply followed the line I created, wherever that may be. At each waypoint it bleeped… “Head north” etc.
    This clearly works well off road. I liked it.

The 800 seems to be ‘quite clever’ in the sense that on road it tries to actually follow the road in its routing, but off road it can’t route to a fixed path, so gets a bit angry.
    Granted, I’ve only played with it for a day, but have been looking at scarlet fire blog, and am struggling to see how best to use the 800 for off road routing, with a ‘bleep’ at each key turn point.

I THINK I should be using COURSEPOINTS in a tcx file perhaps??.

I wonder if the solution is simple, but the user is simpler…?.

DrP

Pridds

There’s an option in setting>navigation to ask it route to a road. If change this to no it may well fix it. Only had mine for 2 days so this is just from playing about with it

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Try this… http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-800/dummies-guide-to-the-garmin-edge-800/

Not sure if what you are looking for is on there but everything else seems to be.

DrP

I’ve seen that frank kinks an page (open in another tab now, actually…).

I wonder if what I want is all that stuff about the tcx ‘eureka cafe’ ride?!
    Really I want this unit for off road route planning – if it can’t do that well (using memory map) then I am disappoint…

DrP

rickmeister

not sure about memory map, but basecamp and downloaded maps from OpenMtb works really well.

As pridds said, there is a Lock on road setting, which i have checked. there is also a routing for bicycles, setting that needs to be enabled otherwise it thinks you are a car.

I posted a link from dc rainmaker that will show you how to displaz a small If Found Return To message.. a couple of folk have recently lost their edge 800,s… the info may just help get it back,.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I use mine by planning a route on memory map, I then convert it to a track, save the track as a GPS file then load it to the Garmin. When you choose the course you see it as a purple line on the screen which you follow. It doesn’t use waypoints so won’t tell you when you get to one but it does beep at you and give you a message if you go note than about 30m off route.

Works really well for me.

Andy-W
    Free Member

I use mine all the time off road following rides I plot on bikehike and bikeroutetoaster ….simple

I use it with the os maps and its great

zilog6128

I’ve had an 800 for almost a year now; still haven’t ever tried routing on the device itself (which is what you’re trying to do?) as I prefer to plan routes on my computer and download them to the Garmin

I THINK I should be using COURSEPOINTS in a tcx file perhaps??.

yep. Try using something like Bikehike in manual routing mode (so it won’t snap to roads). You can then add coursepoints manually where you want them. Save as a TCX and copy the file to the 800.

DrP

Not trying to route on the machine, no.. But dive useful info above… I’ll persist!

DrP

peepingtom
    Free Member

I use the route builder on strava then transfer , and that’s on a edge 200 ,you’ll get a bleep at every turn point if you strsy of slightly , haven’t needed to get a map out the bag since ..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A question for the garmin edge 800 experts….’ is closed to new replies.