Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • A question for the audiophiles, where to get a good twin RCA splitter box?
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hey all,

I inherited my Grandads late 70's/early 80's Sony stack system (I think judging by no original CD deck) and added a basic but capable CD player to the equation. Now, I have run a 10 metre twin RCA-RCA lead from the TV but I dont want to have to keep pulling everything forward to jump between my Ipod dock and the TV.

So, does a twin RCA splitter box exist? I would also like it to look half decent if possible, but form is over function and something around £20-30?

Over to you gents!

Doug

Cougar

I've seen these in tandem with SCART splitters. The ones with manual switches are dog-eggs, awful quality; I had one for a while and defenestrated it in the end.

You can get electronically controlled switchboxes, but they're considerably more expensive.

Cougar

A quick google would indicate there's loads. here for example. If price is an indicator of quality there's one for £20 at Maplin, no idea if it's any good or not though.

Cougar

Or here for three quid – probably worth a gamble at that sort of money. http://www.ukmobi.co.uk/Product_3094.aspx

dooge
    Free Member
    dooge
    Free Member

Call me shallow but I was after something that looked a little simpler and more in keeping with the rest of the hifi as I was just going to stick it on top of the stack. 3 would be fine but 4 is overkill and I wanted the smaller the better really. Im a fussy git I know!

Cougar

The first one is almost certainly going to be dreadful – those rotary switches have a life expectancy of about fifteen minutes. Dunno about the second one.

If your problem is solely the rummaging about, you could get extension cables and then you can unplug / replug from further away.

Cougar

As for 'inkeeping with the rest of the hifi', we'd need to know what it looks like to meet that criteria.

Cougar

Hey, do you have anything else with phono-in connectors that you could use as a switchbox? VCR maybe?

dooge
    Free Member

I dont really, a DVD player but its only got an audio out. As from the pic below ideally silver/black and something that fits with the rest of it, disregarding the Iphone dock.

Please excuse the pinky red lampshade, I've gotta let the missus have some of her stuff too!

Cougar

Heh, funky.

Cougar

I think to be inkeeping with that, you need a switchbox something like this:

Cougar

Just stumbled across these,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PHONO-AUDIO-VIDEO-SPLITTER-ADAPTER/dp/B000L980MU

Probably not exactly "hifi" and you'd have to be careful not to run both inputs at the same time, but I don't think you'll find a cheaper solution…!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I have some RCA Y-splitter adaptor cables, you can have, transparent insulation, double screened, gold plated connectors, etc, that i'm never going to use.
    Fiver and they're yours, they were intended for a car installation but I never got round to it.
    Essentially they do the same job as what cougar linked to, but look nicer.

Spongebob
    Free Member

That isn't audiophile equipment and RCA splitters are a no no!

dooge
    Free Member

Spongebob, what would you recommend? Cougar, I did see them but wanted to go for something a little better straight off…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘A question for the audiophiles, where to get a good twin RCA splitter box?’ is closed to new replies.