Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • A question for runners
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

I recently started running and as I know a few on STW also run, I thought I should ask some advice.

I want to measure my runs and am interested in distance, time, heart rate max avg, time in zone etc. Being able to download the route of my run is not hugely important, but might be useful? I find listening to music distracting, so not interested in that.

So what bit of kit do you use that would meet these requirements? I have a polar heart rate monitor, so whatever is recommended, may not need the Heart Rate function.

Also, running seems a whle lot cheaper than mountain biking. I have some shoes that fit properly, run socks and a wind proof and base layers from mountain biking – what other 'essential items' should I buy?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

uplink
    Free Member

one of the Garmin wrist devices will do all you need

finbar
    Free Member

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Measure your runs and its free. Won't lose signal in trees either.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I do use Gmap, but many of the routes I use (bridleways, footpaths) aren't on it, so I have to guess.

finbar
    Free Member

Ah, fairy nuff. Personally I use badger miles – you just assume you are running 7m30s/mile pace.

cyclistm
    Free Member

A quick google for Garmin shows some pretty expensive kit.

Are the pedometers any good?

speaker2animals

A Garmin Edge then you can use it on the bike and while running? You could get one of those arm bands that people have for iPods so that it is able to see the sky.

uplink
    Free Member

You should get a Garmin 101 for around £80
    If that's too rich for you I guess gps isn't the answer

Ewan
    Free Member

Garman forerunner 50 with a foot pod and heart rate belt does everything you ask. I paid 80 quid last xmas, but i've seen them for 50.

alwyn
    Free Member

I measure my heart rate at that is it (until my monitor broke). I find that this means I work at around the same rate even if I have a 'slow day'. I keep mine in between 160-170 range and then it goes up on the hills.

I started at a 42min 10km and have now got down to a high 36min. I have only ever run in t-shirt and shorts but find good running socks and well fitting shoes a must. I also don't like music as I focus on the running. I like to keep a book of my runs and very occasionally times. You might like tights or a thermal top, but I find that I overheat.

aviemoron
    Free Member

I use a Suunto with footpod, surprisingly accurate and does all the usual speed/time/distance/hr/etc plus something called "training effect?" – whatever! It's all bollox really! I really believe in listening to your body and very slowly building up easy miles before starting the speed work. I have been training for 5 months and just done a 1:29 half marathon, which'll do for the now.

will
    Free Member

I use my Nokia 5800 which maps the run, and puts it on the internet. This also tells me a load of interesting facts. Only thing which would make it perfect is if it mapped onto OS maps. But for free i'm not complaining!!

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/user/profile.do?u=willberesford

http://www.runwalkjog.net

its pretty useful someone in work showed it me.

In my experience whilst its nice knowing the length of what you run, you will pretty much run the same route most of the time anyway unless your training for something specific? IMO a digital watch with stop watch is all you need to speed up etc. And im sure you know your area well enough to add a little bit on when you fancy it.

my personal favourite tip was when I lived in the peaks, during winter I'd get a little sandwich bag, put my mp3 player in it so it survives the rain or snow (headphones dry out!) put a really dark scary album on like tool, and get a headtorch. get someone to drop me off a long way away (for me anyway! about 6 miles away!) in a place that the best way back is over hills, in the dark on your own and see how fast you get home!!!!!!

Its not so easy to do that now I'm in London!!!

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Wouldn't get too obsessive about distance, HR etc if you are just doing it as a supplement to riding, to keep in reasonable shape. Go by duration and perceived effort, and it'll cost nothing.

djglover
    Free Member

You can be reasonably scientific about it with google maps and a stopwatch. I have GPS on the bike and I did take it for a run the other day and it told me nothing new, it even read the wrong distance, although the distance on the pc was the right one when I downloaded it.

cxi
    Free Member

Nike+ Sportband?

http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_US/products/sportband

Other than clothes to suit how hot/cold you get when running, I'd just suggest some form of reflective "add-on". I've got some el-cheapo Aldi ones – reflective bands with 4 red LEDs in them. LEDs can flash or be constant and go for hours on a single watch battery. Wiggle sell similar bits:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Ronhill_Vizion_LED/5360039032/

simon_g

Forerunner 305 is about £140 from amazon and does all that plus recording position (for fancy maps later). And you can use it on the bike in the same way as the Edge devices.

antigee

local 1:25.000 OS map and a bit of string? very last century but works

plus good for finding new routes – a quick look on google earth will show if attractive or not

if you've already got the HR monitor thats the most important bit of kit and its worth checking out somewhere like runners world for different types of workout

i use anquet maps because you can get the hieght ascended but to be honest its not that important just makes you feel good you can just label runs in yr head flat, hilly and stupid hilly

find the nokia not very accurate but not really used very much so it might be me but if getting a new phone its worth a look at

hat and gloves that you won't mind losing as they are easy to drop when you've warmed up

Dr_Bakes

+1 for the Garmin forerunner.

It is relatively expensive but I use it on the bike as well. If training for a race you can download training schedules and follow those using the track your progress.

For some people it may be too much information but I like being able to compare times and HR from run to run and week to week. It doesn't have the option of mapping software but you can save routes and use it as a rudimentary navigation tool.

joemarshall
    Free Member

http://bikehike.co.uk for measuring distances on the web, on Ordnance Survey maps, for free.

Or one of the garmin things for GPS.

Nokia, iPhone and Android phones all have applications for measuring the distance you run too. The Nokia and iPhone ones give quite unreliable distance measures. The Android one, at least on the T-mobile G1 has a much better GPS which gives far more accurate distances, as good as one of the newer garmins.

Joe

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

http://www.mapymyrun.com
    just go along with cursor and gives a pretty accurate distance.

29erKeith
    Free Member

+2 Garmin 305

you can use it on the bike too + can upload routes to google maps
    you can get about 12 hours out of one w/o HR monitor a few less with
    so good enough for most stuff
    +
    a headtorch for running at night winters comming
    use your bike ones if you can, thats what I use

monkfish
    Free Member

I've got a Garmin 305 that I bought for running about 6 months ago. My knee unfortunately says other wise so its back to the bike and concept2 for me.

Its yours for £90 if you want it.

Pieface

If GPS is too expensive then get a cheapo HRM for about £30. Then do a few runs and measure using Gmaps to get an 'idea' of pace. The HRM should be able to tell you everything you need to know about effort.

Once you have a few routes measured out then you don't need to measure them all the time, or variations to those routes should give you an idea. It depends on your attitude / objective is fro measuring the runs.

If however you choose a different route all the time and data is important then you'll have to sspend about £100 I think.

GPS can lose signal so can be annoying. Personally something like Gmap / Mapmyrubn that overlays onto OS maps (Like Streetmap) would be ideal.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i also like the garmin forerunner 305 – plus you can use it for riding as well. however, garmin aren't accurate on the calories burnt, so don't rely on it for that feature.

nicko74

I have a Garmin Forerunner 405, and have had it for a couple of years. It's excellent – tells you pace, speed, distance gone, plus you can have a virtual training partner to keep track of how far ahead or behind the pace you are. It even works as a (rudimentary) GPS routefinder, inasmuch as it's like a kid saying "over there ->". I found it to be really worthwhile, particularly when training – I'd map out a route on gmap pedometer for a rough distance, then have a better idea of how far I'd actually gone when I got back. Plus you can hook it up to a HRM too.

Having said that, it is quite pricey, and my sister (who's also run a marathon) was given a Garmin forerunner 50 for Christmas. She does more training than me, and once she got the footpod set up, it basically gives her as much detail in terms of pace, speed, and suchlike. For the difference in price, it seems to offer 70 or 80% of the functions.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Personally something like Gmap / Mapmyrubn that overlays onto OS maps (Like Streetmap) would be ideal.

Like bikehike.co.uk you mean?

Pieface

Just saw your post after I'd submitted.

Regarding calories burned – That will never be accurate as all individuals are so different.

cyclistm
    Free Member

All,

Thanks for this, a lot of options to consider.

I bought some running 'tights' which I hope wil be more omfortable than running in tracksuit bottoms.

To avoid a fashion faux pas, would shoul, or shouldn't I wear underneath?

Thanks again

M

IanMunro
    Free Member

Go with nowt, unless you're so well hung that you startle horses 🙂

i never wear anything underneath, run till your sweaty and it acts like lube!!!!!!! makes sure you dont stop for too long then!

surfer
    Free Member

I bought some running 'tights' which I hope wil be more omfortable than running in tracksuit bottoms.

To avoid a fashion faux pas, would shoul, or shouldn't I wear underneath?

Just running shorts!
    Garmin Forerunner is the best item out there for the price, any of the others with footpods or pedometers etc are not in the same league. The Garmins are an excellent training aid.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘A question for runners’ is closed to new replies.