Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • A question for chippies/ roofers
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

After having no joy with getting a builder to put a roof on my shed I have decided to do it myself.

The roof is going to have a 50/75mm pitch spanned over 1300mm. To get the pitch needed, is it easier to fit furrings or cut the joists to the desired pitch? If furrings are the best option then any ideas were I can buy them from? Google hasn’t helped me.

Thanks in advance. 😀

mos

If it were me, i’d Buy a decent rip saw & cut them myself. Unless you need 100’s.

Prob cheapest to use joists of the necessary size then cut firrings (should get 2 out of one joist)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Can’t you lift the joists one end to get the desired pitch by added a timber packing piece to the plate ? Then all you need to do is plumb cuts either end.

Otherwise get joists sufficiently deep enough to allow you reduce them by whatever you need one end. Or you can cut a length of timber in two to get 2 firring pieces out of one, and then nail them on the joists, but as they’re only short lengths it should be easier to reduce the joists.

Otherwise a decent timber merchants should be able to cut firrings for you, although I expect it will be pricey (I don’t buy materials)

Example : http://www.applegate.co.uk/all-industry/products/firring-pieces-cut-size-0103406.htm

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I will probably buy oversized joists (6×2) and cut them to the required pitch as that was my original thought. Just wanted to check it was acceptable to do it that way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘A question for chippies/ roofers’ is closed to new replies.