• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A question for BMXers..is it easier to manual a BMX than an MTB??
  • Swirly
    Free Member

A question for BMXers..is it easier to manual a BMX than an MTB??

I’d really like to be able to manual.

I can do short ones but nothing sustained. I can ride a unicycle so my balance can’t be that bad and love that ‘in equilibrium’ feeling of being balanced on one wheel.

Having seen some YouTube videos of street BMXing they are manualling all over the place and they don’t seem to have any brakes!

So is it easier to manual a BMX than an MTB?

Do those little wheels and tiny frame make all the difference? Should I buy a BMX??

Thanks in advance!

thomthumb
    Free Member

yes and no. it’s easier to get it up, and easier to keep it there. but much easier to lose it. ime.

5lab

on a bmx your center of gravity is lower, and you have much more scope of movement in your legs (as the saddle is way out of the way.

That said, I find the short top tube seems to make it snappier near the limit

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thepodge
    Free Member

Much easier

Seggons
    Free Member

definitely. Can manual my bmx and do hop manuals pretty easy but on my mtb it’s bloody hard

GW
    Free Member

No.

There are too many variables. it’s just different. set up an MTB right and it manuals just as well IMO
    I can manual my MTBs better than my BMXs (simply as I spend more time on the MTBs). I can’t manual either with brakes.

on a bmx your center of gravity is lower, and you have much more scope of movement in your legs (as the saddle is way out of the way.

This is rubbish ^^

relative to axle height COG is not lower on a BMX
    I still ride both my BMXs with a fairly old skool (unfashionable) not fully slammed seatpost on both my BMSs and my most rideen
    MTB (hardtail) has a 14″ seattube and I ride it slammed 90% of the time so the saddle is no less out the way than on the BMXs

grum
    Free Member

I find it much easier to manual and bunnyhop on a BMX.

GW
    Free Member

But Grum have you ever ridden a little 26″ jump bike with around a 21″ toptube and 40-50mm stem?

5lab

i think the cog does make a difference. When I’m manualling i struggle with both fore-aft balance and back-for. on most mtbs the longer chainstays will raise your cog relative to the back wheel, for a given angle of manual as well.

for the saddle, sure, if you have a mtb basically set up like a bmx then it will be the same as a bmx to manual, but if you have one set up more like a conventional mtb then it won’t..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It is easiest to get a bmx up onto the back wheel

But

I find it easier to maintain balance on a 24 or 26inch wheeled jump bike. My Trailstar was the best manualling bike Ive tried.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I used to be able to wheely for against on my bmx as a kid, can barley hold up the mtb for a second. I think there a rider wieght thing to it as well, and my ample 17 stone just wants to fall of the bike, when i was 7/8/9 stone it was much easier to find the balance.. can still bunnyhop 6-8 inches fine mind, which is more than enough for what i need..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you want easy to manual try a mk III chopper, just make sure the brakes are working before you end up doing a elbow grind along the front of somebodys’s house.

Swirly
    Free Member

Cheers all….looks like I might have to clear some shed space for a new arrival soon! 🙂

Not sure about the no brake thing though!!

Swirly
    Free Member

Yeah I had a Tomahawk (little brother to the chopper) the sissy bar might prove interesting when wanting to dismount in a hurry! 😀

deanfbm
    Free Member

I find it easier to manual a BMX than a MTB because i’ve ridden BMX all my life and MTB less than a year.

But i’ve learnt to manual, so can manual a MTB just fine.

It’s been said above, BMX is easier to get up and adjust, but you have to work harder to keep it balnced. A MTB is harder to get up and adjust, but once it’s there, it stays there.

alpin
    Free Member

i’m slowly getting the hang of the manual. i can get it up and make it look/feel like i’m in control for ~10m or so.

this is on my DB Alpine…. a bike with short stays, a short top tube and short stem. i can only wheelie on my more XC hardtail, much too long and low to get it up properly….

GW
    Free Member

WTF is a conventional mtb? 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

this is on my DB Alpine…. a bike with short stays

The stays are a good 1/2inch longer on the alpine than on a jump bike, this makes a bit of differnce

alpin
    Free Member

yeah, but compared to many other bikes they are relatively short. shorter than on my Sanderson at least.

Euro
    Free Member

Practice on the bike you have?

Drop you seat and go find a long, smooth, ever so slightly downhill stretch and get you arse over the back wheel. Experiment ’til you find the effortless sweet spot and 😀 . Buy a bmx to learn to manual and it’s still gonna take practice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A question for BMXers..is it easier to manual a BMX than an MTB??’ is closed to new replies.