Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A question for any medical folk on here tonight
  • ton

are you allowed to use ibuprofen based gels (ibuleve) whilst taking warfarin.
    i am not allowed to use ibuprofen tablets, but do not know about the gels/creams.

brant
    Free Member

The chemist I spoke to about ibuleve gels said it was bollocks, and the rubbing action of applying the gel did the good.
    He did then sell me some arnica balm though!

Hope you are bearing up, big fella.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

In moderate amounts – yes…

The main problem with oral ibuprofen is the increased risk of significant GI bleeds when you are on warfarin with a delayed clotting response. You do absorb some of the gel formulations systemically but it is much less of a risk.

and Brant makes a fair point – for anything deep – the gels just don’t penetrate. Arnica ain’t that much better for those either though…

meehaja
    Free Member

I would say yes you should be fine, as the reason you can’t take the tablets is due to increased risk of stomach ulcers (causing bleeding) which as a warfarin patient, could turn things nasty. That said, it might cause you to burst into flames as well, so don’t trust my advice!

ton

i love this place…….font of all knowledge, far better than google.

cheers guys 8)

qwerty
    Free Member

Dunno, might be in case tablet form causes some kinda bleed in the stomach which ya would like to think an ointment won’t unless your drinking it, but like I said I dunno, speak to your surgery nurse.

meehaja
    Free Member

my quick google research and a flick through the BNF suggests:

Officially either no you shouldn’t (generally, but no reasons given) or not listed as a contra indication (i.e go for it)

Annecdotally, Some people say fine, some say (based on pharmacodynamics and stuff like that) that topical patches are the same as tablets?

I’d just get a massage instead, seems easier!

ton

deep heat or firey jack it is then.

jedi

i say neck what ya got 🙂

ratadog

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may interact with blood pressure lowering drugs, and may possibly enhance the effects of anticoagulants, although the chance of either of these occurring with a topically administered preparation is extremely remote. Where aspirin or other NSAID tablets are taken concurrently, it is important to bear in mind that these may increase the incidence of undesirable effects.

Above quote is from the UKPAR which is the official document relating to Ibuleve’s licence in the UK, and for those with insomnia may be found here. I can’t provide any research to confirm or deny Brant’s suggestion that rubbing the affected area without bothering with the gel may be just as effective, as the MHRA did not seek or publish any new clinical information before approving the licence relying instead on the information provided with previous applications going back some 30 years which may or may not be informative but unfortunately have not yet made it onto the interweb.

Most doctors work on the basis of avoiding uneccessary risk even if it is extremely remote so on balance, it probably won’t do you harm but it probably won’t do you any good either, so why bother?

j3ffo
    Free Member

Think NSAIDS like ibuprofen and warfarin compete for the same protein biding sites and therfore should be avoided.

Am not sure how much gel is absorbed but best stay on the safe side in my opinion. Hope you heal soon!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A question for any medical folk on here tonight’ is closed to new replies.