Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A Question For Anglers?
  • critic2good
    Free Member

I went out on my usual loop this morning – 2 sections of which are joined by a canal towpath.

It was nice at first, as due to rain and mud there were no ramblers out, but then I came across loads of anglers. Any how my question is why:

[list][*]Do you need an umbrella the size a small bungalow ?[/*]
    [*]Do you need a chair the size of a 3 seater sofa ?[/*]
    [*]Do you need a 4 wheeled trolly the size of a fridge/freezer to carry all this kit ?[/*]
    [*]Do you need to put all this kit either side of the towpath with just a 12inch gap down the middle ?[/*]
    [/list]
    There is no way an anorexic rambler is going to fit through the ‘gaps’ you leave never mind a bloke on a bike.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people do all of the above and look completely ‘put out’ when you ask them to move their kit (and yes I did ask politely).

Rant over ! 🙄

Coyote
    Free Member

Oh and don’t forget the carbon pole that needs to sit across the towpath blocking the way. Real laugh when there’s a competition near us and there are about a hundred of the bastards.

Ringo
    Free Member

Hmmmmm I’m a cyclist and I like to fish, I don’t see your point here. Yes they probably do need all that equipment as there probably there all day. We also pay to fish the canals. Bit of a lame rant really

Ringo
    Free Member

Oh and for the record impatient gits who can’t wait while you move a bit of kit shouldn’t be on the canal path, although no doubt your probably stravaing a flat canal path 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’m and angler and cyclist, I wouldn’t dream of blocking a path or right of way with my gear.

To answers your questions:

Do you need an umbrella the size a small bungalow ?

Need? No. Want? Yes. Use it as a windbreak.

Do you need a chair the size of a 3 seater sofa ?

Need? No. Want? Yes.

Do you need a 4 wheeled trolly the size of a fridge/freezer to carry all this kit ?

Need? No. Want? Yes.

Do you need to put all this kit either side of the towpath with just a 12inch gap down the middle ?

No, and I never do. But as in all walks of life ignorant selfish twunts abound.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

No idea why that hasn’t formatted properly, looks OK in preview. 😐

yorlin
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n333YESORsw[/video]

sc-xc

Joined just to post this? Something seems fishy, and it’s not just your canalside buddies…

PiknMix
    Free Member

I need all that equipment and more, best bit is I carry all my stuff on my bike so I also have a bike to block the way 😉

davewalsh
    Free Member

A reply to critic2good:

1. It’s not the size of a small bungalow, it’s probably about 4 or 5 feet diameter. It’s to stop the rain falling on the angler and their equipment. It isn’t comfortable sitting in the rain, if the bait gets wet it can ruin it, and when maggots get wet they can crawl out of their tins. Also useful to cover bags to stop them filling with water.

2. Again an exaggeration, most angler’s chairs are just enough to fit your arse on.

3. Most anglers aren’t as able bodied as yourself, and the trolleys you speak of help greatly in getting their gear to their peg so they can enjoy a day out in the countryside.

4. Most anglers will try their best not to obstruct the towpath, however as said above there’s ignorant folk in all walks of life.Do you need to put all this kit either side of the towpath with just a 12inch gap down the middle ?

5. Most anglers will happily move their gear out of the way of a cyclist 98% of the time, however occasionally they will be doing something like playing a big fish or trying to undo a tangled rig, which means they can’t move their gear immediately on your demand. A little patience from both sides is appreciated in these occasions. Also, please bear in mind that each angler pays an annual fee to the environment agency, plus a daily fee to whichever association controls the rights to that stretch of canal for the privilege of fishing there, whereas I bet you didn’t even obtain the necessary permit from British Waterways to ride on the canal towpath ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I cycle & fish. Cant’ be arsed with sitting around on canal towpaths though & only do sea fishing. However davewalsh is right, anglers pay to fish canals & we don’t pay, or even get permission usually, to ride on the towpaths. Also some of those carbon poles cost as much if not more than a bloody good bike!

Crap rant, 0/10

Cougar

No idea why that hasn’t formatted properly

Fixed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A Question For Anglers?’ is closed to new replies.