Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • A question about tubeless wheels.
  • sc-xc

I’m so far out of the loop with this stuff….

My mate has bought a bike for his wife – a Trek Mynx S

He wants to immediately change the tyres as she rides to work every day through all sorts of conditions. He likes the look of Specialized ‘the captain armadillo 26 x 2.0’ which are tubeless.

He is asking me if those tyres will fit the rims – which are ‘Bontrager AT-850 32 double walled rims’

I said…of course if can find out. I’m the bike guy, right?

So I come running over to STW.

I think the main thing for Rob is that he wants a fit and forget tyre so his wife can ride in confidence. If the one he has mentioned up there doesn’t fit…any suggestions that would fit the bill?

Thanks in advance

somouk
    Free Member

Should be fine, they are pretty standard rims and tubeless tyres will be fine on them just a little heavier than a standard tyre.

sc-xc

Thanks, will he need an adaptor or anything?

(He doesn’t want to use tubes if that makes my question clearer…I think he has read somewhere that tubeless = less punctures)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

Ah, so he wants to use them tubeless. Not sure those rims support tubeless, a google doesn’t suggest they do.

You could use one of the many ghetto tubeless techniques but you’re adding more risk there if she did get a puncture she might not be able to re-inflate it.

edit: seems you can ghetto it but they’re not tubeless ready by default http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/anyone-gone-tubeless-bontrager-850-disc-rims-789135.html

dan1980
    Free Member

This thread on MBR suggests it’s possible…..

Beaten to it by a stealthy edit!

sc-xc

Cheers fellas. I think it’s probably easier to get some slime and some thick tyres eh?

D0NK

tubes are a lot easier to fix if she gets punctures – if she gets many. tubeless with none 100% UST stuff almost guarantees atleast some faff. personally for a noob* I’d recommend running tubes (and give them some real world PSI suggestions) maybe tyres with puncture proofing and if they still puncture a lot then consider tubeless.

*from the OP sounds like a newish rider

somouk
    Free Member

I’d just run tubes with Slime in them.

sc-xc

Thanks. I agree, cheers all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘A question about tubeless wheels.’ is closed to new replies.