Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A question about press fit headsets
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I’m getting a little (well a lot) tired of having to clean and re-grease the lower headset bearing on my Liteville 301. Iv had to do it 3 times since having it and Iv only had it 3 months.

This weekend it lasted 1 ride! To be fair it wasn’t the kind of ride I often put that bike through – A long, wet, muddy ride in the peak district. But 1 ride for god sake…since I completely stripped it down, removed the bearing seals, degreased and re packed with grease.

After the ride I could hear that familiar gritty sound when turning the bars, the sound that means “You better service me right now or after the next ride my balls will be powder”

Sure enough the “sealed” lower bearing was full of grit and grime. I don’t get it, I never have this problem with the headsets on my other bikes which are all Hope external headsets…they go for years between services.

This Syntace Press fit headset came fitted to a second hand frame and I had to service it straight away but afterwards it felt nice and smooth. Also the frame was in immaculate condition so I don’t think the headset has been trashed.

So finally my question….

Is the crapness I am experiencing down to the fact that press fit headsets seem to rely completely on the seal of the cartridge bearing to stop crap getting in where as the external Hope headsets have an extra seal to stop crap getting in and around the sealed bearings. Or is this Syntace headset just rubbish (people say they are very good????). In other words should I invest in a Hope headset for this bike or is it likely to suffer from the same issues due to the nature of these types of headset.

….and if so, why are press fit headsets seen as progress?

jonba
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem right. Maybe try a different bearing supplier of better quality. It probably is knackered in any case which is why it goes bad so quick.

FWIW I have this type of headset on my cross bike. The bearing went in 3 years and is going to get replaced in spring. It gets a regular hammering of mud, jet washing and gritty road wet so I don’t think it is design.

You could try one of those fork fender guards to keep the worst off.

nickc

press fit headsets

All headsets are press fit. The snytace one is a semi-intgrated? which is just a different way of placing the bearings into a cup which is pressed into the headtube. so it’s probably just the bearings that are shit quality.

jonba
    Free Member

I think he meant that those where you press in a cup often have an additional seal where as those that go straight into the frame don’t.

CheesybeanZ

Have you got the right crown race fitted ?
    2nd hand bearings – bin and replace with fresh that youve msde sure are full of descent grease .

ndthornton
    Free Member

these are the type that are just a bearing race hidden inside the frame with no other headset parts for the bottom race. The only conceivable place you could put an extra seal would be on the crown race. I have looked at the Cane Creek equivalent and it looks as though it does have this. I may just buy one I think.

Thinking about it these may not be press fit – mine are pretty firmly stuck in the frame now.. but may have dropped in originally – iv never tried to remove them.

I think this link would be the equivalent cane creek

nickc

these are the type that are just a bearing race hidden inside the frame with no other headset parts.

Then you just need a better sealed bearing race.

Sam

It sounds like it is an integrated headset which is the only non press fit type. In any case, sounds like it’s time for a new bearing. Some types of crown race (like the Cane Creek you linked) do have a plastic lip on them to help keep out some cack. Have you been removing the seal from the cartridge bearing to pack it with grease? That is probably not helping maintain the integrity of the seal. Also one of those crown mounted fenders may help less water and muck being blasted straight at the lower headset bearing by your wheel.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Have you been removing the seal from the cartridge bearing to pack it with grease?

Iv had to, as its been full of crud…but understand what you mean about seal integrity.

I do have a fender, I think it must be the lack of any sealing on the crown race. It just surprises me that this is lacking on what everyone says a great headset?…and that no-one else seems to have a problem with them. Hence my reluctance to get rid of it, especially as its nice and smooth after servicing.

But I suppose I’ll have to byte the bullet…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The Syntace headset bearings on my 301 have been faultless for nearly two years now and that’s two years of Peaks/Calderdale grinding-paste winter slopfests.
    Sam is probably right that it may be a question of bearing seal integrity that’s causing your problem.
    I’ve always sealed mine with a liberal layer of thick calcium based marine grease (waterpump grease) over the bearing seal as well as underneath it. One of the key characteristics of this stuff is that it forms an effective outer seal and muck just sits as a skin on top of it and is not getting into the bearing surfaces.
    Good in bottom brackets too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Frequent gritty sound from headsets I concluded was from over washing. Stopped doing that and far less of a problem now.

Though I do find the lower bearings go fast in the winter, but they’re exposed to crud a lot more. Even the mighty Hope headset I still find struggles with the conditions we’ve had recently. Again though, washing is part of it as it’s been so bad I just do have to wash the bike occasionally. I try to avoid the headset, but something gets in there and when sat in the dry for a bit it seizes up. I need to pull it apart and repack with grease. I use thick marine grease plus a layer of it on top of the bearing which seems to help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A question about press fit headsets’ is closed to new replies.