Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • a question about cross bike wheels
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

if a cx bike could take a 700c wheel with a 40mm tyre on it with no issue, is there any reason why it wouldn’t be ok with a 650b wheel with a 2.1″ tyre on it?

the radius of the 700c/40mm combo is 350mm
    the radius of the 650b/2.1″ combo is 342mm

my current setup of 700c/32mm is 344mm

i can’t think why this isn’t going to work……

i just don’t have the spare wheels and tyre combos to test it all, and it’s a rather expensive “experiment”…. thoughts?

(& i realise it’s 4:18 am & i could be talking drivel… i may bump this later in the day)

oh, & the reason i’d want to do this you may ask… erm, not sure yet, i’m sure i could think of something if i thought hard enough about it.

qwerty
    Free Member

You may squeeze in the length, but could you cope with the width?

cp

Cross bike clearance, particularly on the rear, won’t take a 2.1 width.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nedrapier

Width is the limiting factor in tyre size on my forks, not height.

kerley
    Free Member

All depends on the frame. I squeezed 45c on 700c into my cross bike. Plenty of room in fork but back was tight (I had a single speed with track ends so could position the wheel further back but you wouldn’t have that option with a geared bike)

ampthill

Some one linked to a frame designed to do this on here the other day.

http://theradavist.com/2015/05/open-cycles-knows-whats-u-p-with-their-cyclocross-gravelplus-machine/

But as others say width will be an issue

paul4stones

Yes. I think 700×40 is the same diameter as 650b x 2.2. That’s what my Pactbike is designed to take. The problem might be accommodating the width as suggested. I found 650×2.1 wouldn’t fit in a Kinesis disc fork for example.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Yeah, it was seeing the bike linked up there that got me thinking…. ho hum…

Kahurangi

As other hav said, it’s the width. If the chainstays were wider then you’d need a different axle or chainset standard to get the CX size gearing/chain rings to fit.

Coming soon – Boost for GGGRRRRavel 😐 😯 🙄 which will be millimetres different to MTB axles 😆

vincienup
    Free Member

Will depend very much on frame and rim and tyre. . My cx has 135 rear and a backend that look more like a mountain bike than a roadie. It might well take the sort of wheel you mentioned. Likewise, my old 26er Soul with Float 32’s will take 29er Flows with 700×35’s mounted and looks like it might handle 40’s. The Flows are wider than conventional 700 rims, so the tyre comes up wider and lower – less of the light bulb type shape. Some quality time with measuring kit or just whacking a wheel in an upended bike is probably the only way you’ll know for your combination.

scotroutes

Aye, width is the issue – and at what point in the frame/forks does the maximum width exist

robgclarkson
    Free Member

well, i have a santa cruz stigmata… and that’s got a 142×12 rear on it…. and lots of clearance… i suppose i better get measuring. or see if i can borrow said wheel from my lovely LBS for a trial…..

i’m convinced it’d work 🙄

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘a question about cross bike wheels’ is closed to new replies.