Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • A question about clutch rear mechs
  • dday

I understand the principle behind these clutch systems, and it seems to make a lot of sense. I notice some systems (SRAM) have the clutch engaged permanently, while others (Shimano) it’s a toggle.

What I don’t understand is the apparent ability to engage or dis-engage the clutch. When would I do this? Before a downhill? Before an uphill? Cross country? When my bones tell me chain slap is imminent?

clubber
    Free Member

When you’re taking the wheel out – just makes it easier.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

on shimano its so that you can remove the rear wheel and slacken the chain (e.g. when using the powerlink?)

chakaping
    Free Member

Getting wheel in and out can be easier with it ‘off’.

Northwind

I keep forgetting about it, it doesn’t really make that much difference when changing wheels tbh but it is easier with it off.

I’ve a feeling a major reason is so you can flick it on and off and do an a/b test and go “this is AWESOME!” 😆

endurogangster
    Free Member

the sram clutch mechs have a little button for taking the wheel out, basically it locks the cage forward taking the tension out of the chain. its ace!

dday

It all make sense now, thanks!

Now before a downhill, I can:
    1. Drop my post
    2. Turn off pro-pedal
    3. Open full travel on Talas fork
    4. Adjust compression ration
    5. Dissengage lockout
    6. Flick rear mech toggle on and off and do an a/b test and go “this is AWESOME!” 😀

All this stuff MUST make me a better rider! 🙄

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the clutch is on all the time when riding not and on/off depending on terrain

Northwind

Yep, no actual reason to switch it off while riding, it’s not a “descend mode” thing like propedal etc.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I generally don’t do any of that list of 6 when doing a downhill, unless it’s a PROPER downhill in which case the saddle goes down, but forks and suspension stay setup active 100% of the time!

chives
    Free Member

Nice thing with the shimano clutch is you don’t have to have it fully ‘on’ or ‘off’, as it will stay put anywhere in between, so you can adjust the degree of chain slap reduction vs. heavier shifting to suit, without recourse to taking the cover off and tweaking its nuts with a tiny spanner. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When you’re taking the wheel out – just makes it easier.

It’s a little bit more than that: If you don’t turn it off you might knacker the clutch. It’s not really optional, just do it. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Really chives?

I’m gonna test that out this arvo!

🙂

ojom
    Free Member

Now before a downhill, I can:
    1. Drop my post
    2. Turn off pro-pedal
    3. Open full travel on Talas fork
    4. Adjust compression ration
    5. Dissengage lockout
    6. Flick rear mech toggle on and off and do an a/b test and go “this is AWESOME!”

NOOB

You forgot
    7. lower tyre pressure
    8. Start GOPro
    9. Start Strava

traildog
    Free Member

You forgot checking that your wheels are secure and your brakes are both working!

As said above, It’s not something you turn on and off on the ride. 🙄

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Yep, no actual reason to switch it off while riding, it’s not a “descend mode” thing like propedal etc.

I bet Scott have a bike with a remote on the bars for it though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘A question about clutch rear mechs’ is closed to new replies.