Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A question about cheques: Cheque made out in two names but no joint account.
  • maccruiskeen

Been sent a cheque (how quaint) from our solicitor as we’re owed change from some work he’s done for us. While revelling in nostalgia (and wondering where the nearest branch of my bank is) I noticed that he’s made the cheque out jointly to me and Ms Maccruiskeen but we don’t have a joint account – can either of the people named on the cheque pay it in. Or could it only be paid into an account that has both our names on?

IHN

Can only go into an account in the same (joint) names I’m afraid.

IHN

I should add, it also depends on how eagle eyed the cashier is when you try to pay it in…

scotroutes

Depends on your relationship with the branch. I’ve never had a problem. You could always send it back and ask for two cheques.

maccruiskeen

Cool – I’ll just post it back and get them to send another one, if only for the novelty of opening an envelope with a cheque in it again.

Depends on your relationship with the branch.

Its a 70 mile round trip to my ‘local’ branch – I’m not really a well kent face there 🙂

bruneep

Knowing how they like to charge for anything the solicitor will probably charge you for this. 😉

ask them to do a BACS

ebygomm
    Free Member

Had to get a cheque reissued in one name only in a similar situation. Bank advised it may be easier to just open a joint account 🙂

I was however able to persuade the bank to pay in a cheque made out to Mr E Ebygomm despite the fact I’m female.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A question about cheques: Cheque made out in two names but no joint account.’ is closed to new replies.