Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A question about BMX
  • pomona
    Free Member

Bought my son a BMX for his Christmas present

As much as he wants no brakes on it I’m insisting on one. The shop set it up with a rear brake but with the lever on the right side.
    Is this normal for BMX?

watsontony
    Free Member

yes fairly, its down to what he likes. also will he be doing bar spins? my mate broke his finger on his bmx brake lever doing bar spins…… 😐

tomhoward

I thought no brakes was the fashion in BMX these days?

Fwiw I run my rear brake on my Dj bike on the proper side (no front brake)

JoeG
    Free Member

BMX started in the US. Right rear brake is therefore the only way to run them! 😀

It is most coolest to run no brakes, though.

Ohhh..a Cult. Your son’s coolness factor will go up, no doubt!

donks
    Free Member

MoIf he is or gets any good you’ll see how he copes without brakes. I need a back brake but I’m an old git. The decent riders just un weight the back and turn it sideways/ foot jam the wheel or jump off? It’s not as bad as you would think. Can’t learn to truly manual with a brake imo

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I spent my teens riding a bmx with no brakes, I lived at the top of a very big hill and bombed it daily. I also ran red lights and hopped on and off curbs. I did not die. You can stop on a bmx without brakes pretty much as quickly as a bike with brakes, you will however go through many more pairs of shoes.

bigdean

Rode no brakes for a few years on the bmx. Problem is kids doing it without the skills to control the bike and riding in traffic. Nothing wrong at the skatepark or trail but in traffic is out of order.
    How old is he? Can he show you some control of the bike at a skate park first?

I actually rode with just a front brake for a while before going fully brakless. Could be a compromise.

mrmo
    Free Member

just so you are aware, the law states there must be two brakes. just in case it has to be ridden on the road…

JRTG
    Free Member

No brakes is ace but it really held me back progression wise. Learnt the tricks quicker with a brake then was able to easily do them brake less. If he wants to be rad quickly, perhaps use this as a starter…

dazh

Yeah and make sure he keeps the reflectors on.

zerocool

Dominant brake on the right. That’s the rear on a BMX or front on a mountain bike in the UK.

chiefgrooveguru

I have both brakes on mine but I’m not tricksy (yet!) and my commute involves stopping on a steep hill and two brakes are much better for that. It’s nice to be able to practise my jumping (little dirt jumps, not park/pipe stuff) and know I can stop after landing without having to do something weird like jamming my foot against the rear tyre. I gather that front brakes are v dangerous on half-pipes, so if he’s doing that then remove it.

hounslow
    Free Member

Nearly always run a rear brake (LH lever) on mine, i say nearly as fully removable brake mounts and guides means 5-10mins to remove/replace whole set.
    Best he keeps the brake on unless he is controlled at riding brakeless. Get him a linear cable for it, as it will make his brake feel much stiffer and allows for barrys and whoops.

cookeaa

Yeah better for him to start with a brake, brakeless is really for more talented and experienced riders IMO.

And tell him to get it off the sofa his Mum’s probably not too happy about the number of bikes in the lounge already but putting them on the furniture is just asking for trouble!

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m probably missing something, as I’ve never ridden in a half pipe before, but how can having a front brake (that you won’t use) be dangerous while riding in a half pipe ?

JoeG
    Free Member

the law states there must be two brakes

One…two:

And tell him to get it off the sofa his Mum’s probably not too happy about the number of bikes in the lounge already but putting them on the furniture is just asking for trouble!

😆

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Run my brakes the same on all bikes, so rear on the left on all. No front on BMX – brakeless is for fools or people who are seriously good and only use the bike at a skatepark.

burmaboy
    Free Member

nice bike.. my friend alex kennedy is a cult team rider. check him on youtube. ive been riding bmx for several years.. I took my brake of this year. its makes you hit ramps at faster speeds and commit to tricks as you cant just pussy out once your rolling. 95 percent of the guys I ride with are brakeless. however I put mine bk on because its too hard/dangerous to ride to and from the skatepark. right or left doesnt ematter. its what feels right to the rider. I ride left rear like on all my bikes. get yourself a 24 in.ch cruiserbmx and go shred with your son!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A question about BMX’ is closed to new replies.