Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A Q for the South Downers; tyre recommendations for the wet chalk
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Hi folks

I was registered yonks ago but lost the log on details hence the brand new noob post.

I’m trying to get a bit more off roading in and had a wee tootle on the SDW from Cocking – Lewes on Sat. A couple of the climbs were quite greasy and unsurprisingly my Panny Razor XC’s had a bit of a job gripping.

I know wet/damp/squidgy chalk is a git to grip on but what do those in the know recommend for such occasions?

Cheers

wwaswas

I use Intense System 5’s as a pretty much year round tyre on the South Downs and woods around Brighton.

Some people just stick with Bonty Mud-x’s for all but the driest wetaher.

We chalk’s always going to be a bit of a slitherfest, though.

Having said that, I was on Intense System 2’s on Sunday am and they were fine!

PJM1974
    Free Member

There isn’t much that does grip wet chalk in my experience, I’ve tried tyres as diverse as Panaracer Cinders, Maxxis Minion / High Rollers, Ardents and Kenda Nevegals. Each and every time I’ve attempted the chalky S-bend at the start of the XC course at Aston Hill, I’ve had to deal with front end washout and the inevitable change of underwear which results.

In my own experience, I find that a rounded profile tyre like a Nevegal or Cinder works reasonably well in that the grip remains consistent. An outright mud tyre or something with a squarer profile doesn’t work for me. A lot of it is down to pedalling technique too.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ice spikers are pretty awesome on slimey SDW chalk.

rewski
    Free Member

Was eastbourne/jevington/friston end at the w/e on mud x’s which were fine, when you get a mixture of gloopy wet chalk, mud and sharp flint most tyres struggle on the steeper climbs.

Freezing wet chalk is the worst – like wet pizza dough.

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers folks

The Razers are on the full suss and I think I’ve got some Fire’s on the HT atm, which kind of look similar to those Bontys? – Will investigate further.

Further disclosure; as the worst kind of roadie (a time trialler 😆 ) I can’t do technical stuff for toffee so I much rather prefer to ride longer distances / easier routes. – Much safer for all concerned than having me bouncing off the scenery everywhere!

wwaswas

Might be worth concentrating on some ‘technical’ stuff for a ride or two – you’ll get better quickly (as I guess you’re already fit) and it’ll make even ‘along the top’ rides more fun if you’re confident on the descents.

m1kea
    Free Member

wwaswas

I actually did a number of the old SAMS races back in the mid 90s but was never any good.

The last MTB ‘race’ I did was the 09 D2D and here’s my write up – http://egcc.net/display-items.asp?intTypeID=211&intItemID=522

timnwild

I like my Maxxis high rollers for all seasons. BTW, South Downs folks, the trail down the top ridge of Chanctonbury Ring is getting better and better.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I raced Brighton Big Dog last year in the rain and the Bonty mud-x I borrowed were ace. Quite a few other racers changed to the same mud-x after starting out on different tyres and the lap times all came down!

m1kea
    Free Member

timnwild

Which way are you referring to? I tried to go up from Washington on Sat but it was closed due to a ‘police incident’. Had to wander round to Chanctonbury to go up from there, which was a first for me. Not sure if that climb was worse than the grind from Washington?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The climb up from Washington is just awful, esp the last loose pebbly bit before the junction. Its never beaten me yet, by god it hurts though.
    I assume timnwild means the grassy decent after the road crossing? That was truly fab a week last sat.

thomthumb
    Free Member

soft rubber is more important than tread design.

maxxis do tyres in 40a (hard work on tarmac though)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A Q for the South Downers; tyre recommendations for the wet chalk’ is closed to new replies.