Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • A puncture every ride at the moment
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Every ride the last month I got a puncture. Is it the weather causing bushes to drop thorns, or something?

ton

lose a bit of timber.
    i float over the trail at the moment………. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why not go tubeless?

(Blue touchpaper lit, Flash stood well clear…)

😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I asked him that while we were out last Friday, as he mended a snakebite.

Apparently, its the rims…

😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'd love to ghetto tubeless my HT. I've had four attempt with types of tyre I've used successfully before. But these cheap rims just won't go.

Perhaps it's time to buy a some new wheels!?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

TBH, the snakebite was just me not observing the rock I clattered into. But I had a thorn on Saturday and another on Sunday too.

DezB
    Free Member

New wheels? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48678

But go UST if you can afford it. You'll be amazed at how few punctures you''ll get 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

But I had a thorn on Saturday and another on Sunday too.

😥

There comes a point when the inconvenience outweighs the price of a wheel set more amenable to tubeless faffage.

Don't forget that the sale of your wheels on here will help with the cost of the new.

hora
    Free Member

Buzz can you expand alittle?

What rims do you use, tyres and what size inner tubes?

spesh 2.1-2.3 inner tubes. Maxxis 2.35 Ardent or 2.35 Swampthings and one 321 and one DT5.1.

99% of rides on rocks.

I have had one puncture in a year and thats on 16stone.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don't get many punctures. Slime tyre liners are pretty good at stopping thorns etc unless they're huge thick ones.

jonb
    Free Member

Old tyres? More likely to get punctures on old tyres in my experience

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Buzz can you expand alittle?"

Yes, by eating a lot of pasties ;-). This is why I cycle.

OK. Boardman Team HT, WTB Speedisk presta rim, 20" Schwalbe tube with valve removed and split down the middle as the "strip"; JRA Wheelmilk, Lots of watery soap suds; crappy track pump and CO2 tried; Maxxis 2.1 Adv both wire and kevlar tried.

This tyre tubelesses successfully on WTB Lazerdisk rims, I think because they are wider. I suspect the problems are with the bead seating on the rim around the valve – it's got more room on the wider lazerdisc rim.

jordie
    Free Member

i can fel you pain i last week was like that for me.At one point i chucked my bike away unfortunatly in a pile of nettles which i then had to pick the thing out of.This week though none so far

doodlebug
    Free Member

Punctures in 2010 ?

Can't remember the last time i had one, not this year !!

The only time my tyre comes off is when its worn – UST / Bit of milk 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I should point out that Buzz does run tubeless (successfully) on the other bike

😀

Kamikirk
    Free Member

I feel your pain, i punctured every ride pretty much. That was before tubeless and recently had some woes with side wall splits and tubless.. currently that bike is behaving again…

So naturally i'm having other issues with my second bike.. 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

When i read the title of this post i immediately thought i would ask if you're using Advantages. I recently ditched mine after getting to the point where i was getting more than one puncture a ride. Nice tread pattern but oh my god they're puncture prone. Get rid!

IanW
    Free Member

I suppose three or four punctures could be bad luck but more than that means the tyres are fubar in my experience.

I like tubeless but it doesn't mean no snakebites, I managed to ruin a NN Scwalbe with a pinch on the tyre whilst running tubeless. Having said that I punctured the same type of tyre with a massive thorn swooshed the milky stuff around the puncture and it fixed no problem.

You could put some latex inside a tube if you really wanted to avoid punctures.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Is tubeless a viable and indeed superior option for people like me who weigh > 16 stone and ride quite hard/fast downhill? I ask because I am also averaging a puncture per ride. (Also conscious that my clumsiness on the trail doesn't exactly help but the question remains…).

lowey

Ditto. Must have had 8 punctures in the last month.

hora
    Free Member

Oh and I use 35psi. 😆

Ride every weekend without fail with the odd evening ride over summer

Are my wheels magical?

Nobby

In three years of being tubeless I've only had one puncture that required attention on either bike & that was a 3" nail through the tread & out he sidewall. It actually sealed but was annoyingly noisy & it looked like the sidewall would eventually split. Pulled nail out, popped one side of the tyre off & put a glueless patch on the sidewall hole. Reinflated & span the wheel for a couple of minutes & it was sealed.

Whenever I change tyres there's always the remains of several thorns in each which would have resulted in prolonged faffage over the year.

grumm
    Free Member

Is tubeless a viable and indeed superior option for people like me who weigh > 16 stone and ride quite hard/fast downhill? I ask because I am also averaging a puncture per ride. (Also conscious that my clumsiness on the trail doesn't exactly help but the question remains…).

Yes. I weight similar and it works for me – used to get punctures all the time. Stans Flow and Bontrager tyres now, but 819/719 ghetto tubeless with Maxxis HRs worked fine too. I ride mostly in the Lakes and did the Mega with the ghetto setup (as I always like to harp on about 🙂 ).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘A puncture every ride at the moment’ is closed to new replies.