Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • A proper London Pub, doing good nosh and great beer please.
  • Ambrose

Hey there London people. I’m due to meet up with family on Monday in London. Can anyone suggest a proper London Pub, doing good nosh and great beer please. Tiles and brass and pumps and atmosphere. Preferably in a none to difficult place to find. And no stupid poncy food. And proper beer.

Ta, Ambrose

Bregante

I believe there are a few. It’s a reasonably big place – almost as big as Manchester.

Might be an idea to give an indication as to where you are meeting.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cask, Pimlico. Excellent beer, cracking burgers.
    Harp, Covent Garden. Again, excellent beer, not sure re food.
    White Horse, Fulham (AKA, The Sloaney Pony). Superb beer, excellent food.

However, I suspect Sir is looking for the Princess Louise.

theotherjonv

Fox and Anchor Smithfield

http://www.foxandanchor.com/bar

kilo

Wouldn’t call Cask a proper London pub, it’s nice but a it more hipsterish, imho. Very good selection of beers, cheap they are not.

Ambrose

Flashy’s suggestion of the Princess Louise has won- we will see how it matches up to its mixed reviews.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We had a good meal with decent beer here…
    http://www.christopherfowler.co.uk/blog/2014/04/30/great-london-pubs-no-3-the-coal-hole/

Wer’e from North Yorkshire & were pleasantly surprised!

Skyliner
    Free Member

The Salisbury in Covent Garden. Proper boozer.

aP
    Free Member

The Dysart?
    London has over 8 million inhabitants and is nearly 50 miles wide and 40 miles deep. Maybe a suggestion of where in London you’re thinking about might help. Apparently there are about 7000 pubs in London.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The central/shopping/business/entertainment bit of Manchester would fit inside Hyde park. A general location would be useful.
    The fox and anchor mentioned above is good, great pies. Not cheap though, there’s spoons for that. 😆

Ambrose

Within Zone 1 would do me fine guys. Not Manchester though.

BillMC

I used to love the Princess Louise when they sold Young’s beer and you could drink on the pavement. Now it’s Smith’s carp beer, no outside drinking and the interior has been divided up. I love the interior and the loos but as a pub it’s lost it in my view. The Lamb in Lamb’s Conduit St is worth checking out. not sure about food though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The lamb, lamb’s conduit street

stumpy01

Gonna get my name down in this one because looking for a similar thing for September, so keen to see suggestions……

petec
    Free Member

Just go to the market porter (10 beers on, 4 ciders normally) and eat better food from the market.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Can I advise against walking into a London pub and asking where you can get a good nosh, might not end well with the family in tow. 😳

flap_jack
    Free Member

Founders Arms outside the Tate modern. Everything you want plus a great view.

one_bad_mofo

Just go to the Blue Post on Rupert Street – A proper boozer.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The founders arms??! Seriously? It’s a glorified chain/flat roof pub that happens to be by the river and is full of tourists and usually heaving (because tourists always go to the nearest most convenient pub) did you go there after Madame Tussauds and staring at somebody painted silver and standing very still?

If you want a riverside pub it’s the prospect of Whitby or the big one in Putney whose name escapes me.

drlex
    Free Member

pistonbroke‘s comment reminds me of this story about “nosh”. (NSFW)

(OT – Grenadier for me, but not been for a while.)

pedropete

The Lamb in Leadenhall Market do amazing scotch eggs + great shepherds pie & Youngs beers.

aP
    Free Member

The Lamb, Lamb’s Conduit Street
    The Audley, Mount St
    The Calthorpe Arms, Gray’s Inn Rd
    The Endurance, Berwick St
    The French House, Dean St
    The Guinea, Bruton Place
    Holborn Whippet, Sicilian Avenue
    The Lamb & Flag, Rose St
    Lowlander, Drury Ln
    Newman Arms, Rathbone St
    Red Lion, Duke of York St
    Star Tavern, Belgrave Mews West
    Viaduct Tavern, Newgate St
    Punch Tavern, Fleet St

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Mrsmith nails it as usual. The Ship & Shovell, Charing Cross for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I miss all the wonderful pubs in London. 🙁

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The Ship, Kennington. Spacious n gracious neighbourhood, outside seating, floral hanging baskets, bar billiards, umpteen great beers, decent scran, and a bit of that “all human life is here” thing that decent pubs tend to have
    Stayed in the rooms above it one weekend and wanted to take the pub back home with me.

flap_jack
    Free Member

The founders arms??! Seriously? It’s a glorified chain

And you recommend Putney ?

Singletrack irony at its best, you nearly had me then.

I’m oldskool. I like a nice stout/porter/mild, ‘proper beer’ as the OP requested, and Youngs do them. None of this ‘challenging’ hipster stuff.

dpfr

Walkers of Whitehall if you are at the Trafalgar Square/Charing Cross end

Link

Ambrose

In the end the family went for the Dicken’s Inn, St Kathryn’s Dock. It could have been worse. But the day was saved by a chance encounter with the Market Porter. Thank you very much 🙂

jimdubleyou

The Lamb in Leadenhall Market do amazing scotch eggs + great shepherds pie & Youngs beers.

+ 1.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Simpsons chop house is always reliable.

cb

worse than the dickins? Really?

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Grapes, Limehouse.
    The Gun, just off the IoD (Canary Wharf)

Xylene
    Free Member

All components of a good STW thread.

login
    Ask for advice
    Receive lots of advice
    Ignore advice
    Post about experience
    Receive ridicule.

Ambrose

I know- when will I ever learn.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Took THM minor 2 to the Lamb and Flag yesterday for a quick pint (and scratchings). Wonderful beer as always.

huws
    Free Member

And you recommend Putney ?

The Founders Arms is awful and I feel I need to defend the great pubs of Putney. There are;

Dukes Head (probably MrSmith’s recommendation)
    Bricklayer’s arms
    Half Moon
    Prince of Wales
    Cat’s Back
    Coat and Badge
    Jolly Gardeners

There’s even a wetherspoons on the river if you hate yourself

clodhopper
    Free Member

“worse than the dickins? Really?”

The Founders Arms. As already mentioned, it’s a truly awful tourist trap. Once was enough to convince me it wasn’t worth revisiting.

“I used to love the Princess Louise when they sold Young’s beer and you could drink on the pavement. “

It was awful back then! It’s much better since it’s Sam Smiths takeover and revamp. Youngs seem to take over good pubs, and ruin them, in my opinion.

There’s some good mentions on here,but for future visits, it might be worthwhile venturing away from the centre, and trying out some pubs in the outer zones. Greenwich has a few nice pubs, and there are a couple of reasonable ones in Hammersmith/Chiswick. The Grapes as mentioned, is very good, although it can get really crowded with awful braying city types. Very good food there. The Prospect of Whitby, a bit closer to the city, has gone way down in my opinion. The Narrow is awful; Gordon Ramsey took it over and ruined it. Overpriced, mediocre food and always horribly crowded. Shame, as it was quite a nice pub previously.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I’m sure several on here will be horrified at the thought, but it is a fact that the trendy hipster types have created some really good places to eat and drink, and to ignore them because of prejudice, would be folly. Shoreditch is very ‘over’, far too busy and commercial, but London Fields, Hackney Wick and Dalston have become the trendy spots for the achingly cool young things these days. If you can bear the ‘ironic’ beards and über pretentiousness, then you could do far worse. I held out for a long as possible, but my wife kept coming back raving about places she’d been to with young colleagues, and I can’t deny that they’re good.

bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 Market Porter.
    Never had a bad pint in there, Plus a good selection of beer types. None of this 5 versions of an ultra IPA bollocks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned The Harp near trafalgar square? no idea what the food is like and it’s not somewhere i would go to eat but for beer it’s one of the best and thankfully not ruined since fullers took it over.
    one of the few places that usually has mild on tap.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘A proper London Pub, doing good nosh and great beer please.’ is closed to new replies.