Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A proper Excel numpty question here for you!
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

I have some price lists i wish to increase by 4.1%. They all reside in column D…..so column D4 -> D294.

Does any kind soul out there know how to add the formula to get a blanket increase over the above cells??

Thanks!!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Multiply each cell by 1.041, for example add into cell E4 for formula =D4*1.041 then copy/paste that down to E294

(EdIT: this may well win the prize as the most basic Excel question ever asked)

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well there are many ways to do this but what I’d do is enter the percentage increase you want to employ into a cell, say E1, change the number type to a percentage then use the formula =D1*$E$1 in whatever cells you want the output. You can then copy this formula down the new colum to apply it to everything in the original column.

Edit. This has the advantage that if you want to change the percentage to be applied you’ll only have to change the value in one cell.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Hey, EVERYTHING is easy when you know how!! 🙂

I shall give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks.

leffeboy

I’m guessing that you have fixed numbers in columns D4-D294 and you want to increase those numbers rather than increase the numbers in another column. What I would do is:
    1. Make a copy of the spreadsheet in case you screw up
    2. Find a blank column near column D = say column E
    3. Enter the formula in E4 = 1.041 * D4
    4. Copy that formula into E5 to E294
    5. Then copy all of the formulae in E4 to E294
    6. Now, select D4 to D294
    7. Right click on that select and ‘paste special’
    8. Select paste values
    9. Delete what you had in E4 to E294
    edit: I type WAY too slow clearly

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Leffeboy, good lad – thats exactly what i was after!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@FB, I was just teasing you ! Note @leffeboy’s steps 5-9 will delete the original price list and replace it with the new one which is perhaps what you want to end up with

Of course after you are done you should have a day off (couldn’t help myself!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A proper Excel numpty question here for you!’ is closed to new replies.