Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • A product plug, credit where it's due
  • jameso

Justified by being made in a shed on these shores and simply lovely –

http://www.theaftermarket.cc/product/illuminati-handmade-light-set/

Pricey but very nice indeed.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Sooo form over function then.. 🙁

Sundayjumper

Looks like a school CDT project. Don’t like.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Justified by being made in a shed on these shores

You mean like Exposure?

They just look vastly overpriced, don’t get it at all.

jota180
    Free Member

Not for me either
    Regardless of price

portlyone

They look alright for cheap £10 lights. Laughable with £100 on top of that!

jameso

njee, as in it justified a plug for a small business, no comment on RRP vs cost/time to make for the pair.

I like the mount and the simple looks/build. But I predict a majority opinion ‘against’ : ) Which may be about right for something like this.

fasthaggis

Looks like a school CDT project

That was my first thought,there is no style there.
    Unless it has £100 of smart tech inside,then it’s very overpriced for something that looks worse than a Maglite .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I dunno, they do look quite cool in a old/new kinda way. And £110 isn’t bad for mainstream lights, same as a single joystick or a bit more than a flash/flare or trace/traceR (I’m presuming it’s £110 for the pair?) we’re just spoilt by the cheapness of chinese stuff. And those mounts are lovely and simple, but look secure enough that you couldn’t nick the lights. How long would a joystick last on a bike locked to a streetlamp?

I’m going to try and make some mounts like that for my old 808 magicshine and rear light, then permenantly mount them and the wiring to my comuter with one discreet battery and no coils of surplus cable.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I like the aesthetic of them personally, they’re clearly intended to look industrial and do it well. They’re a hilarious price though – firmly into hipster lifestyle accessory territory.

davosaurusrex

Yebbut they’re made by a man in a shed! In the wilds of Scotland! On a lathe! The man has a beard! Slicked back hair with undercut! And a tattoo sleeve! A lumberjack shirt! And a woodburner! And an axe! The axe was made by a man in a shed! In the wilds of Scotland! etc.

You bloody heathens.

fasthaggis

How about this for the commute ?

Only €75 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

And £110 isn’t bad for mainstream lights, same as a single joystick or a bit more than a flash/flare or trace/traceR (I’m prsuming it’s £110 for the pair?)

They come with button cell batteries, so I imagine the output is more like your £20 Cateye jobs than a Flash/Flare.

Indeed the front one looks like a halogen bulb rather than LED, although perhaps using ‘warm’ LEDs?

I can see they’d nicely set off a chromed fixie ridden by a fakenger hipster **** in Dalston, which I guess is their target market!

bland

This however is nice and a decent price

jameso

t’s £110 for the pair?

Yes. Still no give-away price but I’m becoming keener on buying durable, well-made stuff less often (I have no idea if these are, but assuming they are for now). Tends to be pricier but long-term better value for the right parts.

What I like most is the way they mount, some of my bikes have lights permanently fitted and most lights are designed for clip-on use. So many of those lights are let down by poor mounts, inc some big-name lights I’ve bought (at ~£70 for a small front only with r/c batteries, that has been highly unreliable and now returned.. no names mentioned)

tazzymtb

I like them as they would look lush on the right bike and I’d be happy to pay for them. But then I dont drive a skoda octavia, use cheap chinese lights or ride an orange 5 and I’m not into “enduro” 😀

but then I like stuff like this

jameso

That V-D is nice.

jameso

They come with button cell batteries, so I imagine the output is more like your £20 Cateye jobs than a Flash/Flare.

Indeed the front one looks like a halogen bulb rather than LED, although perhaps using ‘warm’ LEDs?
    LED I’d expect? I’m hoping they offer an AA-fitting LED rear-only. A refracted non-point source rear light with no flash mode, good run-time and a solid mount is a good thing. Would make an ideal partner to a dynamo/Edelux II front. A quick-release USB-charged version would be even better.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

That V-D is nice.

Oddest quote of the week.

Be sure not to be overheard saying that in the pub.

jameso

^ 😀

njee20
    Free Member

LED I’d expect? I’m hoping they offer an AA-fitting LED rear-only

You’d think so, but it’s a very yellow output from the photos, all the LED lights I’ve seen use ‘cool’ LEDs, those look either like halogen, or very warm. It also says that it’s either integrated button cell or remote AAA battery pack.

toby1

davosaurusrex – you forgot the skinny jeans no socks and vans – ffs!

🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

it’s a very yellow output from the photos,

I suspect the “photos” have just been shopped up to look that way.

cookeaa

First rule of Hipster marketing, There is no part of life, no product or service which cannot in some way be made more aspirational and given that extra “Premium” spin…

Style wise, Yeah they look all right, is the actual performance (Light output and run time) anything like on a par with other F/R lights I could get for the same sort of money? Of course not, that isn’t the point.

Let’s be honest here the pricing comes from “Artisan” Niche manufacture, perceived quality and exclusivity. Seeing where you are going/being seen by other road users is a tertiary issue for this particular light set…
    If most of us didn’t baulk at the price then half the point of them would be missed…

#moremoneythansense…

TiRed

Nice idea for a spacer-based mounting. Not seen one of those anywhere else. The lights are a bit meh! But I think that a decent mounting option to headtube would be an advance. I like my BBB headset spacer bell.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Maglite and a reflector bracket did I save myself 101 quid

All artisan types should be forced to cut off an ear to prove they are comitted to the movement, simply growing a mcbeardy isn’t enough or owning an axe.

Pook

Does the meccano come with it?

breninbeener

Tazzymtb, is that frame engraved? Acid etched? Can you point me in thecdirection of more?

D0NK

Jeesus that’s a lot of money for some “see me” bike lights, subtle and understated are things I normally like on a bike but not lights.

If you like minimalist these are worth a go

and if you want to spend £110 on lights then 30 of them will literally get you the xmas tree look.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I like them as they would look lush on the right bike and I’d be happy to pay for them. But then I dont drive a skoda octavia, use cheap chinese lights or ride an orange 5 and I’m not into “enduro”

Oi! I did drive an Octavia, I use cheap chinese lights, I ride an Orange Five and I’m quite into my enduro racing 🙂

I also ride a rigid Curtis singlespeed with wibbly wobbly bars and stuff though Taz 😉

tthew

No keen on the lights, but that website may come in handy for hard-to-buy-for relatives come Christmas. Ta!

D0NK

but then I like stuff like this

I can see the attratcion of that even if I’m not as enamoured by it as you. Lights should be primarily (by a long margin) about function*, looking cool would be a nice second (tbh third after price IMcheapskateO).

*there’s no actual shots of how well they work, so possibly a little presumptuous of me to suspect they are below par, but I’ll wager they aren’t as noticeable in use as the aldi specials I posted.

D0NK

This is more like it

lunge

My favorite quote on the page is:

Dynamo kit. A complete dynamo kit (excluding the dynamo).

Am I being naive to think that a complete dynamo kit would include a dynamo as it would be somewhat incomplete if it didn’t????

jameso

If you like minimalist these are worth a go

I’ve lost count of the number of those POS mini lights I’ve killed / lost / generally got fed up with from a number of brands over the years : ) But yeah, one end of the £ scale to the other. I do value some stuff like this if it meets my needs though so £50 for a rear light, maybe.

that website may come in handy for hard-to-buy-for relatives come Christmas. Ta!

there’s some good stuff on there.

zilog6128

This however is nice and a decent price

Yeah I’d love a WTF. In fact I was searching for a second hand one earlier this week which is when I found out it had been updated/relaunched recently. I actually much prefer the colour of the old one but I think the frame is better/lighter now?

If you search around that website there’s actually a lot of very nice looking hand made stuff but it’s all horrendously expensive unfortunately! I like the inner tube washbag actually; that’s not too ridiculously priced.

gazc
    Free Member

its a fancy looking torch on a piece of bent steel which looks like its from a pannier rack seat stay mount/attachment

i could probably make one when i get home with the junk in my shed and save myself £110 of gullible-hipster tax in the process

Nobby

its a fancy looking torch on a piece of bent steel which looks like its from a pannier rack seat stay mount/attachment

Both mounts were standard fittings on my first road bike in the 70’s – the front was to slot an old fashioned light onto, the rear had a large reflector bolted to it.

Something like this:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jeesus that’s a lot of money for some “see me” bike lights, subtle and understated are things I normally like on a bike but not lights.

They’re 140 lumens, that’s not a bad output for a commuter, more than enough to see by on the road.

Ok they’re no better functionaly than the average torch from China which costs a fiver using the same LED, but if they’re well made then they may well last a lifetime, and for a commuter that’s important, 2 weeks waiting for new lights from China when theyfail on a wet ride would be £50 in petrol.

njee20
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll dial down my cynicism to merely underwhelmed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘A product plug, credit where it's due’ is closed to new replies.