Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • A Porsche 911 with bikes on the roof…
  • Spin
    Free Member

…passed me outside Inverness on Sunday. As I saw it in the mirror I thought ‘must be folks on the way back from the Bealach sportive’ and that it would be some seriously swanky carbon exotica on the top.

2 beaten up Trek hybrids.

You never can tell eh?

hot_fiat

Comme ca?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

There goes my POIDH

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sure I’ve seen some on here a long time a go on a saris bones type affair on a carrera.

footflaps

One of our sales guys, off to do an Ironman with his Tri-bike in his Ferrari….

Freester

Surely if you can afford motors like those above you can afford to run another shitter to transport the bike?

Rule 25 and all that?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Quite common here in Town to see Porkers with roof bars on, either bikes or ski’s.

I like it, folks clearly like cars and doing stuff.. 😀

hatter

All very cool but I think Team Sky somewhat Gazzumped them all this summer.

Well unless someone puts 4 Thule 591’s on a Veyron I suppose.

iolo
    Free Member

Here in Austria I’ve seen most types of nice cars with roof bars. Mainly for skis but bikes could easily be carried too.
    Back in the day I could get 2 full sus bikes into the back of my 1275GT plus 2 riders up front with the riding kit in the boot no problem.

Edit: @hatter, The sky Jag was nice but cooler than that Ferrari? Hmmmmmm

tonyg2003

It depends on the 911. Early 996’s are cheaper than something like a absolutely bling MTB or road bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Surely if you can afford motors like those above you can afford to run another shitter to transport the bike?

Agreed, in fact you could run something quite reasonable

@hatter, that’s a Jaguar and not worthy of comparison to Porsche or Ferrari. IMO a massive “fail” from Sky. Aston Martin yes, Jag no.

A mate of mine took his road bike down to the Alps on the roof of his 911 when training for the etape. He was quite impressed by the fact it stayed on the roof of the car !

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Rule 25 is pants, whilst true that if you can afford a decent Porsche you might be able to buy some beater for bike transport, but why would you? with a car that nice to drive you can/should make it work for you.

A bike in a porsche 911 convertible? possible? Yes.

peterfile
    Free Member

but why would you?

To avoid looking like a fanny? 🙂

tang
    Free Member

There is only one Porsche I want with roof bars.
    [/url] Sweet ride by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The best places for cycling often have the best roads for driving.

peterfile
    Free Member

Yeah, i suppose if you’re heading up to Torridon it would be madness not to, but heading 15 miles down the road to your local trail centre, maybe not so much 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

footflaps

Sales guy with a ferrari?

what are they selling? cocaine?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

if you have a nice car you bought it for driving as much as possible, stick the bikes on the roof, in the passenger seat, in the glove box, whatever it takes but drive it as much as you can, enjoy it. If that means somebody thinks you look like a fanny that’s their ignorance, let em think what they like.

mefty
    Free Member

I once took my bike to the Windsor triathlon in an Austen Healey 3000, it was a bit of a squash.

MoreCashThanDash

Once saw a Boxster with the roof down and bikes mounted on some bespoke rack over their heads. From certain angles looked like they were hovering over the car.

richmtb

Most cycling destinations in Scotland are at the end of some very nice stretches of A & B roads. Would be a shame to drive them all in a diesel estate just because you have two bikes.

Copter tape the mounting points for the roof rack and be careful when taking it on and off and you stick a roof rack on most things

tonyg2003

Once saw a Boxster with the roof down and bikes mounted on some bespoke rack over their heads. From certain angles looked like they were hovering over the car

Early Boxters got a bespoke Porsche rack* that fitted into the bodywork and arched up to take a bike rack.

*I may have been spending too long thinking about Porsches recently 🙁

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Quite regularily used to see a guy with Porsche Boxster driving around with a kayak on the roof. What’s not to like?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Saris Bones fits the Porkers, fits most Porker Roadsters too..

And Audi TT Roadies..

footflaps

footflaps

In the good years* you could make a lot of money in Sales in Telecoms. He also has a Porsche as well…

* before the Chinese started copying western kit and flogging it for 1/5 the price…

andyl
    Free Member

footflaps

+1

WTF????

Gary_M
    Free Member

* before the Chinese started copying western kit and flogging it for 1/5 the price…

If sales guys are making enough commission to buy a Ferrari and a Porsche then clearly the price of the kit must have been extortionately over priced.

footflaps

0.5% commission, $20m order….

It soon adds up!

Telecoms is big boys league stuff, orders can be $500m upwards. You don’t need much % commission to make a lot of money.

tomhoward

One of the sales guys at one of the manufacturers we distribute (IT infrastructure, much more lucrative than coke in The Good Old Days) has (had?) a Ferrari, though more than that, he had a company fuel card to go with it….

peterfile
    Free Member

Telecoms is big boys league stuff, orders can be $500m upwards. You don’t need much % commission to make a lot of money.

How often is $500m worth of telecoms actually “sold”, if you know what I mean?

Surely on deals that big, the success is not so much to do with the sales chat of one silver tongued ferrari driving salesman? Just curious really.

All our work is £100m-£2bn, but at the top end it’s almost always competitively tendered, even where there is an strong existing relationship.

footflaps

How often is $500m worth of telecoms actually “sold”, if you know what I mean?

In WE you get competitive tenders, in MEA large orders are sold based on the personal reputation of the sales guy (& company). The main difference is the legal framework. In the UK you can sue over a contract, so it matters less who sells it. In Africa we don’t have contracts as they’re worthless, so everything is based on trust.

Even if you know there are only 2 or 3 companies who can bid for that work, the value in the sales team is keeping the margin up, so if your sales guy can save you from having to cut the prices by 10% to match a lower bidder, he’s worth a few % in commission…

peterfile
    Free Member

That makes sense, cheers footflaps.

In that case, I can see why they are worth so much to the company!

Think i’m in the wrong job….. 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

trustworthy sales guys?

mudshark
    Free Member

I worked for a company that was founded by a few people from Oracle including one who was a salesman there and had made a million in commission in a year – so the rumour went anyway. This was the 90s when it was all a bit crazy.

tonyg2003

my cycling buddy works for SAP and he has similar mega-commission stories from some of the longer term sales guys. He says that he joined too late!

footflaps

Yep, late 90s was the time to be in Telecoms Sales before the tech crash in 2001, when Nortel etc all folded….

Northwind

I figure this 911 with hybrids is just the inevitable counterbalance to my scabrous mondeo full of nice bikes

cupra
    Free Member

Maybe the 911 is the shitter transport? Anyway, it’s a car, use it.

Milkie
    Free Member

What’s the point in having it if you don’t use it to it’s full potential!?

Although we are not taking it to The White Room next week! 😐

gravity-slave
    Free Member

John Olson’s ski Lambo with ski box!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘A Porsche 911 with bikes on the roof…’ is closed to new replies.