Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • A poke in the eye for Mr Gove
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25369094

Your tax money wasted on this faliure…

wwaswas

Biggest poke in the eye for him recently is his insistence that all schools must be above average.

The man’s a fool.

bencooper
    Free Member

Biggest poke in the eye for him recently is his insistence that all schools must be above average.

The Institute of Physics recently released a report complaining that as many as 49% of schools were below average in getting girls into science.

thepurist

Was hoping this was a link to an ebay auction where the winner can do the poking… is disappointed.

ninfan
    Free Member

Wow, a failing school having their funding pulled and the teachers losing their jobs

When did you last see that in the public sector?

bigdean

I’d like him to come into my lesson, trying to explain to an apprentice why he needs to use capital letters and full stops in a project report (the lads 18+) just baffeled me this week.

Trouble is he’ll have to pass, as the company (customer in our new jargen) will complain that it’s my fault he’s not passed.

MrOvershoot

bigdean – Member

I’d like him to come into my lesson, trying to explain to an apprentice why he needs to use capital letters and full stops in a project report (the lads 18+) just baffeled[i]baffled[/i] me this week.

Trouble is he’ll have to pass, as the company (customer in our new jargen[i]jargon[/i]) will complain that it’s my fault he’s not passed.
    B- must try harder. 😉

bigdean

B- must try harder.

Edit: actually your an internet no one, i dont care.

binners

The trouble with the ideological free market zealots like the half-wit Gove and the incredibly dense IDS, is they’re so utterly convinced that they’re right, that nothing as inconvenient as the glaring evidence to the contrary will convince them otherwise. They just plough on regardless, shouting down everyone who dares to point out the disaster their pet projects have become

The public accounts committee has just reported that the costs of Goves project are over double their original budget, and spiralling out of control! While the results are nothing like those predicted.

Will this cause him to stop and think? I reckon I could hazard a guess

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

LOL @ predictable Zulu as ever.

Neos the country over are feeling flaccid this evening.

thejesmonddingo

Don’t diss Michael Gove,at least he gives Zulu a hard on.

jag61

I hope that Im 1,2 or 3 in the queue otherwise there will be no eyes left
    Promoted way past his real pay grade TW@

Sandwich

Edit: actually your an internet no one, i dont care.

You don’t care that you’re teaching someone to write English properly, with a skill set that doesn’t appear to be up to the job. That B- should be an E and see me after class. Shame on you!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Edit: actually your you’re an internet no one, i I dont care.

Good on you, after if YOU can’t spell or have awareness of basic grammar, what hope is there for your pupils? Oh no wait, there’s an education minister you can blame for you being useless.
    Way to gain some popular support there, spelling boy.

Northwind

ninfan – Member

Wow, a failing school having their funding pulled and the teachers losing their jobs

When did you last see that in the public sector?
    2 days ago, it seems.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/guide-post-middle-school-set-6393472

Junkyard
    Free Member

they’re so utterly convinced that they’re right, that nothing as inconvenient as the glaring evidence to the contrary will convince them otherwise

+ 1

neither is as talented or the expert they think they are either.

onehundredthidiot

Actually I’d like hmie to go to bigdean’s lesson.

onehundredthidiot

Using “nor” would make Junkyard’s statement less ugly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But it would make less sense 😉

Its a horrible sentence to be fair.

anagallis_arvensis

Good on you, after if YOU can’t spell or have awareness of basic grammar, what hope is there for your pupils? Oh no wait, there’s an education minister you can blame for you being useless.

****. Did i spellerise that right for you?

boxelder

In education everyone can be above average, as we are measured against previous years data. Nigh on impossible, but worth de-motivating 90% of the profession to achieve. The rise I’ve seen in stress and mental health issues due to the increased pressure is alarming – and thats just the sixth formers

crankboy
    Free Member

Oh look if we do away with the requirement to have trained teachers do the teaching the standard of teaching falls. Gove is a complete mindless zealot as is Hunt. The conservative party is intent on running the country into the ground for the benefit of a few . They remind me of the classic venture capitalists of the 80s buying a busines flogging off all it’s assets letting it go bust while hiding their profit outside of the company then feeling all smug at the money they had made while looking down on the unemployed and creditors they left behind.

If there was an eBay auction to poke Gove in the eye with a stick I would bid.

Joe

Hardly a poke in the eye is it? Out of 174 schools, 2 are shut down? Hardly a high fail rate for a new scheme in its first couple of years is it.

Hurrah for Michael Gove is what I say!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Shurrrrup Joe.. Gove is a prize effling twunt.

boxelder

Gove was bleating this week about how standards and behaviour wasn’t as good as Asian countries – where corporal punishment and parental beatings are the norm and there’s little evidence that students show any great individuality – where’s the art, music etc?
    Shoplifting is less of a problem in Saudi Arabia and stoning reduces adultery in Iran.
    Where I work has seen big improvements, but involved £25 mill + investment in a new Academy and a lot of turmoil. The turmoil without the new building and resources would never have worked.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Strange that the first thought is not that, first and foremost, it is a great shame for the children that education (in its many guises) is letting them down (again) and their lives are being disrupted. When will governments stop doing this?

Yes there is an embarrassment to Gove but in any walk of life you can have a correct idea and structure (whether that is the case here, we can leave open to debate) but if you have the wrong people running things, they will fail.

But before this is turned into a misplaced idealogocal rant, it was good to see that R4 coverage made it clear that this was one of a number of schools in the same area that was failing to meet the required standards, hence my comment about different guises. It is also argued on the BBC that the standards for free schools were set higher than in other schools.

So what is happening in this case, the school is being closed. And in the other cases of poor performance in the same area……..?

Where was the correct headline – “in West Sussex many schools of different types are all doing a poor job!” ?

Doesn’t make for such good headlines though, does it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We were promised excellence. They failed. I feel for the kids. They have no control over the poor choices made by their parents.

anagallis_arvensis

If you allow people with no qualification or experience to set up schools should we be suprised when they fail. A free Steiner school has opened recently, what next a homeopathic hospital?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They promised us thrift. They have failed miserably in that respect. Yet the STW defenders of neo-conservatism will ignore this and try to spin the story. Just like Gove ignores his own appointed experts. He’s a failure and should have resigned ages ago.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What has the failure of one school got to do with Gove?

Internet whine FAIL

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was kind of wondering that myself…

anagallis_arvensis

Gove has spent vast amounts of money on a scheme that allows schools to be set up where they are not neededand run be people who are not qualified and even his own attack dogs have said this ones shit and needs to close. But you are right its nothing to do with him. I blame the teachers they are all shit.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, are there any other than just this one school that have failed since Gove took over?

anagallis_arvensis

Dont know. But I am not aware of any brand spanking new schools that have been invested heavily in and then closed. What happend to the Al Medina school in Derby?

noteeth
    Free Member

@DD – closer to home, I’m sure you’re aware of the Cathedral Primary School’s campaign to annexe the lower floors of Bristol’s Central Library. A public asset is – effectively – being handed over (bargain-leased for 125 years) to a free school, despite huge public and political opposition. Such is the anger, it’s actually resulted in a Green-Tory alliance to ‘call-in’ the decision!

Friends of Bristol Library twitter.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed noteeth!! That is a shocker. More reasons to add to the many for Gove’s big fat FAIL.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is also argued on the BBC that the standards for free schools were set higher than in other schools.

It may have been highlighted but they are not higher but they are different.

So what is happening in this case, the school is being closed. And in the other cases of poor performance in the same area……..?

I think none are closing as do you or you would have posted a source rather than just made a claim.
    There are examples of poor schools in all areas, not least because none can be satisfactory. Interesting the FOI request [2013] reveals the following

In addition to this [ two primary schools ignored here] The Academy Selsey *was judged to have serious weaknesses, Sir Robert Woodard Academy** requires special measures and discovery Free school requires special measures.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/schools_in_special_measures_5
    * The Academy, Selsey is a private school in the public sector and as such is independent of the Local Authority of West Sussex.
    OFSTED Having considered all the evidence I am of the opinion that at this time:
    The academy is making reasonable progress towards the removal of the serious weakness designation
    ** Council and anglican body moved from inadequate to unsatisfactory – ie improving

So both improving
    I think you are over egging the pudding again/shooting from the hip/ blustering /spinning whatever but the reality is not as you suggest

Where was the correct headline – “in West Sussex many schools of different types are all doing a poor job!” ?

Doesn’t make for such good headlines though, does it?[/quote]
    Nor does it accurately reflect reality, only one has not improved and shows no hope of improving and has been closed , well except yours.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

DD, very important that you bought up the idea of certain STWers spinning the story. A very pertinent observation. But did you target the correct culprits?

So the National Audit Office concluded that the DOE had “achieved clear progress on a priority policy,” and that “‘Many new schools have been established quickly and at relatively low cost”

So who is spinning who here????

As to the accusations and conclusions on whether excellence has/has not been achieved they conclude that it is far to early to say….”The department aims to open high quality, sustainable schools. The programme’s success and value for money depend on how free schools perform in the future.

Ie, far too early to tell. Makes one ask again, who is spinning who here? Headlines, headlines, where can we create the next headline?

If there is one area that policitans will most naturally fall down on, and Gove is among exalted company here, it is in execution or we should say failure in execution. They area where the NAO was very clear was how priorities had been set in execution….

To date, the primary factor in decision-making has been opening schools at pace, rather than maximising value for money.’

Which is quite a different line of attack but suggest that Gove like many before him will utlimately screw the whole thing up! And Toires wasting taxpayers money, the very thought!? Perhaps he will introduce a new type of exam when an better alternative already exits? Oh wait a minute…..

Now again, looking at the coverage (or lack of it) of the full list of failing schools in West Sussex, the real story is……?

ontor
    Free Member

The Institute of Physics recently released a report complaining that as many as 49% of schools were below average in getting girls into science.

Nope. Read the report please.

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

Yes there is an embarrassment to Gove but in any walk of life you can have a correct idea and structure (whether that is the case here, we can leave open to debate) but if you have the wrong people running things, they will fail.

The point here, though, is that academy/free schools are by design more likely to have the wrong people running things, with their lower qualification requirements.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘A poke in the eye for Mr Gove’ is closed to new replies.