Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • A place in…?
  • Kryton57

We’ve decided we need a few more breaks than the once a year family holiday. Ideally, somewhere quiet to go near the sea yet with things for the kids to do on a long weekend / half term. Maybe a a cottage or similar… Bearing in mind I’m in London – suggestions?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get the train to York? Railway museum and Jorvik centre are great for the kids.

That’s where I am now.

Kryton57

Great idea, we’ve been there sans kids many years ago.

But I’m looking for a regular returnable retreat…

soobalias
    Free Member

first thing to consider is transport. where you are in town has a significant impact on which direction you want to go. how long you plan to drive in bank holiday traffic will determine the distance. then what money do you have?

Brighton or the south coast?

km79
    Free Member

Great, just what the country needs, yet another holiday home. Buy a caravan and leave the houses for folk who want or need to live there.

legend
    Free Member

I assume you don’t want to have to fly there?

timba
    Free Member
    jam-bo

You can rent a lot of holiday cottages a year for a lot less than it’ll cost to buy and maintain a second home.

badnewz
    Free Member

I think you would be mad to buy a second home at the moment, the political atmosphere means they will be taxed mercilessly.
    Get a Winnebago!

bearnecessities

Um, where did Mr Krytron say he wanted to buy somewhere?

Bearing in mind he can’t even afford an RS6, think he’s just asking for a regular destination.

Kryton57

I dont want to buy a property. I want some ideas of a short stay holiday desitnation eg in Cornwall for example for long weekends and half term with the kids.

bearnecessities

Have a look at Lynton / Lynmouth; I used to love it around there.

jam-bo

Unless you want to spend the best part of a day driving there and another back, Fly to Newquay from Gatwick. Take your pick, loads of really nice beachside places to stay within a taxi ride of the airport.

Watergate bay has a nice hotel and lots of holiday apartments behind the beach. Full of London sorts so you won’t feel to out of place 😉

Just don’t go to Newquay. It’s a shithole.

Kryton57

That looks nice bearnecessities. Found a barn conversion 5 miles away, no neighbours, quiet walks and bikes so will look into it.

jkomo

North Devon is our go to place for last minute get always.

tenfoot

+1 for Lynton/Lynemouth and the general North Devon coast. It’s beautiful. We ended up at the Ilfracombe Tunnels Beach last year. Lovely place for the kids to paddle and crab.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Somewhere near Dieppe?

fozzie
    Free Member

ESSEX !!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g191273-d1961425-Island_Cottage_Horsey_Island-Frinton_On_Sea_Essex_England.html

nearby atttractions:-
    Naze Tower
    Walton, beach and pier (with amusements)
    ditto Clacton
    Harwich redoubt
    Landguard Fort (drive or seasonal passenger ferry from Harwich)
    Colchester Zoo (40 min drive)

fozzie
    Free Member

The island can be seen from the Naze Tower:-

Scroll out and drag to see the full photosphere pic.

cchris2lou

Sunpark in Dehaan in belgium .

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cornwall and Devon are popular for good reason, best avoid peak season for crowds and traffic. So June and Sep. I like Salcombe out of sesson also Dartmouth.

Poole is great for a long weekend, get the kids signed up for some water based activities. Sandbanks and the dunes over the chain ferry at Studland, Swanage, a pint at Square and Compass, bit of walking, bit of beach etc

New Forest with a day trip to Yarmouth (boats amd small beach, fish and chips in Saltys) from Lymington. Maybe even a long weekend on the IoW

As above do a long weekend in Normandy/Brittany. Ryan Air (horrible but they fly to places others don’t) go to Deauville (great beaches, food etc) and Dinard (for St Malo) for example. Squeezy Jet may do also. Check destinations from Southampton too, great little airport

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

York is great, but Jorvik is bloody dreadful….

CountZero

Anywhere around the South Hams region of South Devon, like Hope Cove, East Prawle, Torcross, where you have access to the South Coast Path. Lots of walking, some great pubs, lots of excellent food, stunning countryside and sea views, what’s not to like?
    Looking forward to a week or more of camping down there at the end of September, beginning of October, and indulging in the Cricket Inn’s wonderful menu in Beesands.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘A place in…?’ is closed to new replies.