Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • A observational theory
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

ha ha Moshimonster …. you say in jest, yet how true you are!!!

This was aimed at your theory not your second post!!

Let’s drop the jealous idea … you’re missing the point

Gary_M
    Free Member

Went off for a ride around both the blue and red routes and came back to him still tinkering and posing around the car park on a spotlessly clean bike (so he obviously hadn’t been anywhere. Went for a cup of tea to return to see said bike been loaded back into car!!

So roughly speaking how long were you riding for and how long did you spend having a cuppa?

I’m guessing that you’re suggesting this guy was standing in the car park for a few hours maybe?

You’re a rider … with right priorities

Because you have a shit car and an expensive bike? But yet someone with an expensive car and bike doesn’t? You judge people way too much.

you’re missing the point Which is what exactly?

njee20
    Free Member

you say in jest, yet how true you are!!!

What? Now you’re just not making sense!

If you’re a Swinley local perhaps we should go for a ride. I want to see how shit you are, so I can judge you in person.

hairylegs
    Free Member

njee 20 … re-read the post!

…. I’m definitely shit, but at least I own up to it!!!

moshimonster
    Free Member

Let’s drop the jealous idea … you’re missing the point

Okay, but remember that’s how your post comes across. It really does smack of the green eyed monster.

But anyway about your theory – I say it’s a load of complete and utter bollocks. My theory is definitely closer to the truth – kind of analogous to a motorsport open track day v professional racing. Who actually has the most fun?

njee20
    Free Member

njee 20 … re-read the post now I’ve edited it to make sense!

FTFY

But anyway about your theory – I say it’s a load of complete and utter bollocks. My theory is definitely closer to the truth – kind of analogous to a motorsport open track day v professional racing. Who actually has the most fun?

Why must there be a correlation between spend and enjoyment? 😕

I have a comparatively expensive bike, it’s the latest in a line of comparatively expensive bikes, I enjoy riding them. Would I enjoy a cheaper bike any less? Yes, almost certainly. A quantifiable amount? No, but a cheaper bike would be heavier. As I can afford the expensive ones why wouldn’t I?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I still don’t get this ‘guy in the car park at Swinley story’. So you went for a ride in the region of 14 miles, which probably took you around 2 hours, got back and they guy was still ‘pimping his very, very expensive bike’.

What bike was it and what level of pimping took two hours?

I’m intrigued.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

My most expensive bike only ever gets ridden at trail centres. On local trails and commuting it’d be totally wasted. I’ve got other bikes for that, at least one of which I ride almost every day.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I used to ride at Swinley quite a lot and all I saw was a load of people from all walks of life on all sorts of bikes having a good time. But there was always this one sad bloke sat in the carpark staring at everyone with an expensive car/bike combo 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Hairylegs – I’m all for a bit of inverted snobbery, it’s good for moral and shows them that while they may think that they’re ahead, we’re still actually winning.. but you’ve shot yourself in the foot here I think.. 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I must say Swinley does seem to have the most diverse range of bikes/riders I’ve ever seen, from proper BSOs to some very expensive bikes! It’s great to see.

hairylegs
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed the robust debate with you guys but as it’s POETS day am off for an extended commute home now so, I’m sorry, I’m going to have to leave you to your procrastinations.

In the meantime, I suggest you all read (or re-read) “Zen and The Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance” and you may understand the philosophical tenant of the original (albeit light-hearted) theory and not be distracted by debating whether or not I’m jealous or telling tall tales.

Enjoy your weekends!

moshimonster
    Free Member

now I’m the jealous one! Enjoy your ride while I type here with a broken toe 🙁

Edit: obviously I’m not actually typing with my broken toe.

Might limp to the garage later to have a look at my £4.5K mtb and £85K car though.

amedias
    Free Member

I suggest you all read (or re-read) “Zen and The Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance”

If we re-read it everytime somebody said that we’d be able to recite the flipping thing word for word by now 🙄

This, or similar posts to it have been done to death since year the year dot, get off your high horse, and go ride your bike, whatever it cost 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

In the meantime, I suggest you all read (or re-read) “Zen and The Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance” and you may understand the philosophical tenant of the original (albeit light-hearted) theory and not be distracted by debating whether or not I’m jealous or telling tall tales.

Isn’t that verging on the Edinburgh Defence?

BadlyWiredDog

I have the same theory but about socks.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Whenever I see a battered bike I don’t think “wow, that person rides a lot”, I think “wow, that person shouldn’t have nice things”.

I see it and think to myself “they’ve got their priorities right”.

But what’s right or wrong ay?

I do find it ridiculous how grown men can have reason to be self-conscious whilst out riding, it’s pretty sad that people are consistently being judgemental about one another over something as meaningless as riding bikes. This thread is a good reflection of that.

I don’t get “treasuring” items either, it’s a bike, as long as it works as it’s supposed to, i’m happy. But then my definition of working as it should is faultlessly, but generally when you get a bike to a faultless state it takes naff all effort to keep it there. A bike can look tatty but be in perfect working condition, it’s one thing cleaning and polishing, a whole other thing it being mechanically perfect.

Off all the immaculate bikes i’ve worked on, they’ve hardly ever been mechanically perfect, just cleaned within an inch of their life.

njee20
    Free Member

I do find it ridiculous how grown men can have reason to be self-conscious whilst out riding

I agree, and yet how many people wear baggies, rather than lycra?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t get “treasuring” items either, it’s a bike, as long as it works as it’s supposed to, i’m happy.

I’m like that with my commute, looks like shit, works well(ish) but I keep my best road bike very tidy. So depends on the bike for me.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

agree, and yet how many people wear baggies, rather than lycra?

So people can ride whatever bike they feel most comfortable with, are free to drive whichever car they desire but shorts. That’s different altogether.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I agree, and yet how many people wear baggies, rather than lycra?

They’re self conscious because the majority are fat bastards a bit overweight.

nickc

I go to trail centres maybe once or twice a year. I never see these mythical “ATGNI” riders. I generally see, blokes, kids, wives, boyfriends and girlfriends, on shoppers, Halfords BSOs, lovely shiny top shelf kit, and generally see people having a great time.

Must be doing it wrong

njee20
    Free Member

So people can ride whatever bike they feel most comfortable with, are free to drive whichever car they desire but shorts. That’s different altogether.

Eh? I don’t give a shit what people wear (I rode in baggies once, I hated it), I was merely countering Dean’s point that most people won’t wear lycra on a bike because of how they look.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Can’t see owt in deans post that mentions lycra (edit maybe?). Just seemed an instant reversal on your part. CBA reading page one again if it’s there so if it is I apologise.

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t see owt in deans post that mentions lycra (edit maybe?).

Nope, he just said what I quoted:

I do find it ridiculous how grown men can have reason to be self-conscious whilst out riding

I’ve no idea if he’s ever made comments about lycra, it was a general one that a lot of people do make comments about it, I was just pointing out that whilst I agree with him, a lot of people don’t actually subscribe to that.

scotroutes

hairylegs – Member
    I suggest you all read (or re-read) “Zen and The Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance” and you may understand the philosophical tenant of the original (albeit light-hearted) theory

what is a philosophical tenant anyway?

moshimonster
    Free Member

I don’t think the lycra v baggies argument is quite the same though. A middle-aged fat balding IT consultant wearing lycra is going to look like a dick to everyone else whether they care or not. That’s why they don’t do it. Nobody really wants to look like a dick except possibly for skiers you occasionally see wearing jesters hats.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I go to trail centres maybe once or twice a year. I never see these mythical “ATGNI” riders. I generally see, blokes, kids, wives, boyfriends and girlfriends, on shoppers, Halfords BSOs, lovely shiny top shelf kit, and generally see people having a great time.

That’s because you see the reality of the situation rather than something made up just to make you feel better about yourself.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Njee – read it wrong-ish so apologies but still a bit presumptuous on your part to assume that everyone would be happier in lycra if only they could get over themselves.

ThePinkster

Hang on, can we rewind a moment as I’m still stuck on the point of rereading ‘Zen and The Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance’.

Why the hell would I want to reread that interminable guff? I thought it was dire trudgery first time round; why would anyone want to read it twice?

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t think the lycra v baggies argument is quite the same though. A middle-aged fat balding IT consultant wearing lycra wearing cycling kit is going to look like a dick to everyone else whether they care or not.

FTFY. The public think we all look **** stupid irrespective of what we wear.

Njee – read it wrong-ish so apologies but still a bit presumptuous on your part to assume that everyone would be happier in lycra if only they could get over themselves

A bit of a leap of faith there, I’ve not said that, but the usual defence (as exhibited beautifully by Moshimonster) is that people don’t wear lycra because they look silly.

jonathan
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    what is a philosophical tenant anyway?

I’ve got that Bertrand Russell in the back room. 40 quid a week keeps me in tyres.

amedias
    Free Member

I wear lycra most of the time (on my road bike and on my MTB), I also sometimes wear baggies for rides where I’m more likely to end up sliding around on my arse or other bits of me.

I look just as silly either way.

jameso

I have no idea what any of this has to do with Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Aside from a loose link to Pirsigs companions attitudes to their bikes, but that seems to be a quite different idea to the old nicer bike equals more car park time topic. Or just an intro to the main idea the books get at.

Love the way that Car As Status Symbol is so ingrained that it’s impossible to see someone’s mocking of posh cars as anything other than inverse snobbery and the one doing the mocking would buy a posh car themselves if only they could afford it.

And another thing…
    I don’t even like riding a bike. I only do it because it gives me an excuse to wear lycra in public.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I usually come in a tranny! Where does that put me 😉

The phrase “I usually come in a tranny” could be taken in two different ways, particularly in a thread about both vehicles and men in lycra. 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘A observational theory’ is closed to new replies.