Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A not very interesting question about brake pad life.
  • Harry_the_Spider

How long do you get out of yours?

Mine are about halfway worn after 1600 km / 10 months. Am I not trying hard enough?

nedrapier

Harry “No Brakes” the Spider.

Trying too hard, I’d say. You should brake more.

Careful, now.

rocketman
    Free Member

Erm a long time. Several months maybe a year. Same for drivetrains and BBs

Tend to ride everywhere at the same speed 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Commuter roady….10 days.
    Cx at HtN….2 hours.
    Mtbs…I can’t remember actually replacing any (not to say I never have…just can’t remember doing it).

terrahawk
    Free Member

depends where you ride as well. Around here pads last ages. At a certain race in Scotland, they can last less than 3 miles….

Yak

Ages usually – probably a year.
    Kielder was bad too – only 1/2 lap out of 2 pairs. (Very wet – lots of sandy grinding paste everywhere)

andysredmini
    Free Member

You wont get a definitive answer as there are too many variables.
    But just to list a few

Pad Compound
    Riding conditions
    Riding type
    Ground type e.g. gritty mud
    The type of braking you do e.g dragging vs late hard braking
    Amount of use within time frame
    Bedding in correctly (arguable but I always bed mine in)
    Disk design, Some are known to eat pads.
    Pad quality.

I only ever use genuine hope pads and they last ages. I stupidly bought 4 sets of superstar once and they lasted minutes before the friction material fell of the backing plates.

I remember reading something about hard braking being better as it continually glazes over the top layer of the pad making harder and longer lasting vs dragging a brake which exposes new material causing it to wear down faster.

The type of riding will also affect the lifespan. I have some avid juicy 3 that came on my commuter and they are still on the same pads as the day i bought it about 6 years ago. I ride it 8 miles 5 days a week but only probably brake 3 or 4 times per journey.

Edit: I have also stopped bothering with sintered pads as the hope organics last so long

grey

Scottish borders and Central Scotland trails for me, probably last about 3 to 6 months. Back ones usually wear out first.
    I did wear a set out in one loop of Dalby once, Shimano resin ones.

D0NK

I find that usually if I manage to bed a set of pads in properly, over a few rides in half decent weather, then they last a while. Pads fitted mid winter will soon be down to their backing plates.

Loads of other factors at play tho so ymmv basically.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I was really impressed with the stock SLX pads – they lasted over a year. Then I went through a set in 2 hrs at Thetford. Muddy sand does not help!

martinhutch

My last Shimano Resin set must’ve managed more than 1000 miles. Not holding out any hope for the Superstar organics that I popped in as a stopgap measure.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I’ve read about people getting through a set of MTB pads in one ride. I never believed it…

..until I went to Cannock this weekend. Rear brakes completely down to the metal despite loads of life beforehand. Very grateful to Superstar and their 35% discount today 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A not very interesting question about brake pad life.’ is closed to new replies.