Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • A night in A&E
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just had 9 hours on two A&E Departments.

My 7 year old daughter is Type 1 Diabetic. Last night she came up to me and asked for her Basal injection, so I jabbed her. Unfortunately her mother had also jabber her about 30 minutes earlier.

Off to A&E we went. Under observation for 9 hours with a visit to two separate hospitals 10 miles apart.

She’s fine, but I have to keep up the testing on the hour until 8 pm this evening… a 40 hour shift. I’m **** and rambling on a bit.

howarthp

I’m glad she’s OK. Get some rest

Harry_the_Spider

Not until 8:00pm.

senorj

Strong coffee , in a drip?
    Also glad she’s ok.

Markie
    Free Member

Push on, you’re in the home straight!

Music, movies, tv… want any recommendations to keep you going?

RustySpanner

Oof.
    Glad she’s sorted.

Star Wars.
    All of it.

Fairfield & Crumpsall?

Harry_the_Spider

Fairfield & Crumpsall?

Yep, she is under the care of Fairfield, but the Paediatric Registrar is at Crumpsall. 8:00pm – 5:00am at Fairfield, then off down the road for discharge.

She is driving the TV.

Tiny Pops, Frozen and Mamma Mia are the order of the day.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Re run of 2013 TdF? All of it ?? Put anyone to sleep that.

Glad your daughters ok, must be hell of a worry. But, well if she has two injections, one after the other, doesn’t she turn into SuperGirlSpider or something?? 😀

Beagleboy

Aargh! Glad she’s okay. I’ve done the exact same thing to myself on more than one occasion.

I used to have a pen that had a wee clock on it, to tell me when I’d last injected. Absolutely awful injector, (looked a bit like a zippo lighter), but a genius idea.

Again, glad everyone is okay.

Gonna have a google search now and see if I can find the thing I had.

C.

Harry_the_Spider

We had the something similar for Levemir,

but we changed to Lantus which has a different pen.

tjagain

Oops. Red bull and set an alarm for testing

Beagleboy

Welcome to Timesulin

Not sure if these are just for disposable pens, but it seems a great idea.

Just checked and it’s only for disposables, doesn’t work with cartridge refill pens. Sorry 🙁

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yikes. hope all’s well mate.

retro83
    Free Member

I don’t know anything about diabetes, how serious is overdosing?

scud
    Free Member

How old is she Harry?

My 6 year old daughter is T1 too, diagnosed 16 months ago, but we only had to use the injections for the first 5-6 months before she was put on an insulin pump (Omnipod). The pump is so much better than injections, you can give different base levels of insulin (equivalent to the Levemir) for different times of the day and night, and you can different base settings for days when she has PE etc, then when you give her insulin at meal times for the amount of carbs consumed, it knows how much insulin she still has on board.

Great piece of kit, would she benefit from that?

PS, i can sympathise with the tiredness, 56 mile round trip commute on bike last night, then home to change daughters insulin pump (done every 3 days), feed and bath her, the cook tea for my wife home from shift, then up every two hours to daughter in night as she is ill at the moment! Doesn’t get any easier does it!?

craig24
    Free Member

Just checked and it’s only for disposables, doesn’t work with cartridge refill pens. Sorry

These are similar and work with some non reusable pens

http://www.insulcheck.com/supported-pens

I’ve been looking into one for my girlfriend, she’s 30 and still forgets if she has had her insulin or not, 26 years of being a type 1.

scud
    Free Member

craig24 – Member
    https://timesulin.com/

Just checked and it’s only for disposables, doesn’t work with cartridge refill pens. Sorry

These are similar and work with some non reusable pens

http://www.insulcheck.com/supported-pens

I’ve been looking into one for my girlfriend, she’s 30 and still forgets if she has had her insulin or not, 26 years of being a type 1.

POSTED 24 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POS

There is a really good phone app called “Diabetik” designed in UK, would that be any good to her?

jamj1974

Very glad she is ok.

Harry_the_Spider

Still not entirely sure ourselves. The scores were crazy high this morning as a result of being given 40g of carb to counter a 3.6 hypo at 3:00am. Hypoed again at 12:00 noon when the early excess carbs wore off.

Bumping along at about 6 now, where is where we should be.

Absolutely knackered. I’m hoping that going outside to clean the car will snap me out of it.

scud
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Still not entirely sure ourselves. The scores were crazy high this morning as a result of being given 40g of carb to counter a 3.6 hypo at 3:00am. Hypoed again at 12:00 noon when the early excess carbs wore off.

Bumping along at about 6 now, where is where we should be.

Absolutely knackered. I’m hoping that going outside to clean the car will snap me out of it

We have the same with my daughter, this is one of the problems with insulin taking up to an hour to truly work and the carbs being much quicker acting, we know that if we are treating a high, then a hypo will probably follow.

Then there is the fun of growth spurts/ illness and excitement of birthday/xmas always throwing her bloods out too!

Harry_the_Spider

Excitement may have helped us last night. My wife got very upset as did my daughter. The sudden rush of hormone may have countered some of the effect of the insulin. Just a theory, I am not a doctor.

roundwheels
    Free Member

Look at it as training for your first/next 24 hour race :), My daughter of 10 has been type1 for 8 years now, it’s been very challenging over the years, but what I’ll say get her on a pump asap! Her and your quality of time management throughout the day will change for the better.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Glad she is ok. My Nan lived with the disease during the 60’s 70’s and 80’s without all the tech we have today. It’s tough but things are so much better today

Harry_the_Spider

Her and your quality of time management throughout the day will change for the better.

We’ve been doing fine on needles for the last 6 years. Hba1C is always between 7.2 and 7.6 and she rarely goes hypo. School are very much dialled in and I got the lunch menus carb scored, so she eats with the other kids.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘A night in A&E’ is closed to new replies.