Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • A new Visitor Centre for Kirroughtree? Another 'only one toilet' fiasco…?
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

It looks like a major investment is going to be made. Keep an eye out for any consultation on facilities if we want to avoid the perceived problems with the Peel Centre.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

there is more than one toilet at the peel centre infact a very nice clean warm set of toilets with showers

althepal

Visited the peel at the weekend. Facilities are lovely, Wtf was a cold war guard post tower doing overlooking it?
    Just seemed a bit disjointed to me. Bit of a whiff at the cafe too.. Strange that theres only one cubicle in the gents!

Northwind

Kirroughtree’s existing cafe/visitor centre’s always seemed decent and definately fit for purpose (unlike the Hub 😉 )

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Sorry. Not meaning to be negative. I personally don’t have problem with the toilets at the Peel. The north-facing, shaded, outdoor seating area however…

We should reflect on the fact that £4.5 million investment is excellent news, especially in the current climate. We should also keep an eye out to make sure that new facilities meet our expectations. An important part of that is letting people know what our expectations are when we get the chance. That is all.

Northwind

Doesn’t even include a single chairlift 🙁

legend
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Kirroughtree’s existing cafe/visitor centre’s always seemed decent and definately fit for purpose (unlike the Hub )

the lack of decent hot food on the menu says otherwise

Northwind

What do you expect? It’s a little tea shop not a busy cafe, the numbers don’t justify a full cafe spread. They’ve always had baked spuds when I’ve been there, bacon rolls etc.

alanp19842
    Free Member

I wnet to K’tree last year.. went to the bikeshop but didn’t even notice a cafe! Were we blind or is it a little bit hidden?

legend
    Free Member

been very hit n miss for me. Had bacon on offer in the past (microwaved?), last time down was just microwaved soggy sausage-rolls on offer. Doesn’t exactly take much in the way of facilities to offer some hot rolls to people

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I kind of agree with Legend. Service has always been excellent though. EDIT: I don’t think that have a stove/oven, just a microwave. Not certain though.

I think that the FC are looking to boost the popularity of Galloway Forest Park, and know that to do this they need to modernise the facilities. There is a new observatory being built near Dalmellington, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the new centres focus (no pun intended) on the Dark Sky Park stuff to a considerable degree.

nick1962
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

there is more than one toilet at the peel centre infact a very nice clean warm set of toilets with showers
    Only one gent’s cubicle in the new building facing the new car park (nice though).Are there more elsewhere,apart from the cafe?

Trekster

I think it will depend on how much input the local management team get. The current team include a few good bikers 😆 and the top man is pretty keen on keeping events such as the Kirry10 coming back.
    Like all trail centres we bikers do not have exclusive use;
    http://www.darkskyscotland.org.uk/events/kirroughtree.html

rudedog
    Free Member

alanp19842 – Member
    I wnet to K’tree last year.. went to the bikeshop but didn’t even notice a cafe! Were we blind or is it a little bit hidden?

You are definitely blind considering it has the word “CAFE” painted on the roof in massive letters which is clearly visible from the car park and entrance road.

nick1962
    Free Member

rudedog – Member

alanp19842 – Member

You are definitely blind considering it has the word “CAFE” painted on the roof in massive letters and is clearly visible from the all of the car park and entrance road.

🙂

I see why you chose your username now rudedog

rudedog
    Free Member

I should have put a smiley in, wasn’t meant to be rude!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When I went last year I thought the facilities were great to say they are FREE, and way more than I would expect from being able to turn up and ride a bike round a waymarked track.

However perhaps it needs way marking signs to the cafe, afterall obviously some people who ride trail centres can not use their own initiative and need to follow signs.

Also sun lamps would be a good idea so that people can insure they get a good tan.

Oh and while we’re at it I thought the childrens play area was shocking, the food was awful (as well as the staff), and there was no where to sit !

Bloody awful place 🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘A new Visitor Centre for Kirroughtree? Another 'only one toilet' fiasco…?’ is closed to new replies.