Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • A new take on the wood burner threds – What bricks for a chimney?
  • RustyMac

I am in the process of opening up my fire place to eventually install a wood burner. I have so far removed one and a half harths, one had been built on top of the other. While clearing out the chimney i have descovered that when the back boiler was installed in the chimney they have smashed out some of the bricks at the back of the chimney.

What should i use for replacing the bricks? is there any type in particular that are suited to being used in a chimney?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Mine was built with the same bricks as the rest of the house.

Unfortunately they were textured bricks, one side and end, but laid any ways, looked a mess and had to be covered up.

Drac

Reclaimed red brick here that matches the house brick, old Pegswood brick you could smash diamonds with them.

RustyMac

These bricks will not be seen when I am Finnished I just need to know they will be fit for purpose – strong enough to support the chimney and also be able to cope with the heat generated eventually. My plan is to plaster into the chimney so I can have the wood burner part in part out of the chimney brest to give me a little extra space in the living room.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘A new take on the wood burner threds – What bricks for a chimney?’ is closed to new replies.